Early Young Rabbits...

Norrie

Hiya, Now...I used to ferret years ago, and was always told to only ferret in months with an R in them..that I can appreciate... :good:

So, early this morning I was driving up to Dundee on the A9, and what do I see??...loads of tiny, and not so tiny young rabbits...all along the verge.....I've never seen so many young this early in the year before, particularly after the heavy winter we had... :blink:

Any thoughts???

yes its normal to see them now but when i was seeing them in early feb not so usual .

I never used to see them this early, but as I say, it was years ago ( 30) I did ferreting...going to start back up soon, got all the gear, just need a Ferret now..:)

I'll get used to this "seasonal change" I hope..:)

Hiya, Now...I used to ferret years ago, and was always told to only ferret in months with an R in them..that I can appreciate... :good:

So, early this morning I was driving up to Dundee on the A9, and what do I see??...loads of tiny, and not so tiny young rabbits...all along the verge.....I've never seen so many young this early in the year before, particularly after the heavy winter we had... :blink:

Any thoughts???

It's been this way for a while, but the rule still applies as any longer than April and the brash/stinging/flies can make your work quiet unpleasant!

Early near me too...shot a doe yesterday afternoon at the side of my house-I thought it was only a few months old as she was quite small but it turns out she was carrying young - so I feel a bit bad now as I try to avoid shooting pregnant females. I will just be going for the smaller bunnies now...I guess when you have a permission for pest control and not just sport it has to be done so that you are seen to be controlling the expanding population.

The dog also nailed a myxy rabbit yesterday afternoon - disappointing as I have not seen myxy round there before - at least he put it out it's misery.

I shot 3 does yesterday, all pregnant, funny thing is they didn't look old enough, only found out when gutting them. Last night there were loads about but the wheat is now tall enough to hide all but the biggest so I had to nail them as they crossed from the hedgerow to the wheat.

old, young, buck, doe, pregnant....etc...get em all shot. no room for feelings when you are there to do something. I know that might sound harsh, but i would be more annoyed if a went to my shoots and found somebody else there to do the job. :good: