Virgin Media - What do you think ?

Salop Matt

they are great as long as you never need to phone their customer service, i played them for a good deal over the phone and then the agreed discounts were not added to my account so make sure you get everything in writing!

Once your all set up they are pretty good and imo the service is no worse than sky which is also shockingly bad!

Their call centres are UK and Foreign, general customers service stuff is dealt with by Steve your illiterate indian call centre worker, their retentions and cancellations department and the important stuff are UK workers.

I use them for broadband, Sky and mobile phone and get a good deal.

For some reason though i still get my TV through Sky, if i switched to Virgin i could probably save some money, TIVO comes out on virgin soon so when that releases i`ll probably swap then.

As above, Virgin Media Fiber Optic is going to be turned on in our street in the next fortnight :good:

We are confident that we are going to go with them for TV, Broadband and Phone.

But what are other peoples experiences of them ?

Have had Virgin for 4+ years and at times it's been a shocker !!!

Our Broadband has not come anywhere near the claimed 20mb, more recently the web modem needs to be reset upto twice an hour otherwise it just hangs in the air. When it goes offline altogether, it can be days. (longest was 10 days)

The TV box is the same and will randomly stop changing channels or providing any programme information, and has to be reset by turning the boxes off at the mains, waiting 10 minutes then switch back on. (This seems to be the limit of technical advice available IF you can get any support from customer services on the phone)

After 4+ years we're still seeing some of the same programmes still being repeated over and over.

If you get any special deal to start, you can be sure that when it runs out your prices will rise and you'll be sat at home watching their advertising including 'offers' that will be cheaper packages than what you've got as an existing customer.

Interesting thread. Been looking at getting broadband for while. So been doing homework with all different IPs from what I've seen if virgin have fibre optic in your street no one can come close to there speed. But I spoke to several providers and the only one that was honest and open about speeds was BT they tested line into my house and because I don't have fibre optic it was up to 3meg!!!!! Funny guy at virgin said "up to 20meg!!"

Having said that if virgin do install fibre optic I'll get it.

TIVO ?

http://tivo.virginmedia.com/?buspart=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=TiVo&utm_campaign=14%20-%20Product:%20TV&gclid=CNKuoKWEgKgCFZEifAodxCEgrQ

Virgin have some of the fastest broadband of all the providers and its unlimited, I download anything from 20GB to 200GB a month, movies, music and what ever I want, been doing this for a long while now and no complaint from Virgin, the other big names would of had a fit by now!

I cant comment on customer service as never needed them in over two years :yes:

Edited by Guinea Fowl

I only haad Virgin when it was NTL. the broadband was ****. the tv was ****. the phonecalls expensive. Nothing seemed to work, and the call centres, like said, are run by 'Steve' in Bombay. Sky equipment seems to by ok, and the broadband is running fine. I have a small issue every six months with one thing or another. They are more expensive then Virgin, but whilst mine is working, i dont want to upset it.

I only haad Virgin when it was NTL. the broadband was ****. the tv was ****. the phonecalls expensive. Nothing seemed to work, and the call centres, like said, are run by 'Steve' in Bombay. Sky equipment seems to by ok, and the broadband is running fine. I have a small issue every six months with one thing or another. They are more expensive then Virgin, but whilst mine is working, i dont want to upset it.

That is like saying Libya is a safe place to go on holiday because you use to go there years ago when the Gaddafi regime was intact. :lol: :lol:

That is like saying Libya is a safe place to go on holiday because you use to go there years ago when the Gaddafi regime was intact. :lol: :lol:

Libya is a fantastic country, its just that its broad band is so slow. :lol: :lol: Im only going on what it used to be like. dont know if they have made it better.

I have had virgin internet in my university house for 2 years now. On the whole it is good, but at peak times with 6 other people using our 20mb connection it can be very slow, I think this is also due to one of my housemates illegally downloading tv programs and films, which virgin seem to realise and somehow seem to squeeze our broadband. Haven't had to deal with them directly as we had a rep knock on our door and set it all up, so cant comment on the customer service. Personally I think virgin are good, don't think we would get faster broadband for the same price from anywhere else.

I've used Virgin (or NTL as it was originally) for years and cannot fault their broadband service.Last time there was a glitch was about 3 years ago and was only for a short time.I also use them for phone and tv,but thats upstairs only as i have Sky+ in lounge downstairs (i subscribed to Sky when Virgin lost Sky1,2,3 a few years ago).

Cant comment on their customer service because i rarely have had to contact them,but cant be any worse than Sky which is pants.

I've registered fro the TIVO upgrade when it comes out :rolleyes: had my email telling me it will be rolling out from 11th April so looking forward to that.

IMO VM isnt as good as sky for general tv, interface is poor in comparision but it shows same progs mainly (minus, no Sky Atlantic, + includes ESPN in sports pack)BB speeds are good for me but they do impose throttling for those who "make use" of torrent sites (or so I may have 'ahem' heard :blink: )

I binned Sky HD and BT Snailband last December and switched to Virgin.

I have the V+HD downstairs, VHD box upstairs and the 20MB Broadband and have been really happy with it; the only regret is not switching sooner.

Just did a speed test and it's bang on as normal 1234312081.png

Would definitely recommend them.

Jon.

As I have never been with another provider I find them to be good only problem I had was some of my direct debits failed (Not bein my fault) and got a £10 late payment fee each time.

Yes sometimes you do get an indian but I found them to be ok they didnty speak to fast and I could understand them and for the most time helpful

I binned Sky HD and BT Snailband last December and switched to Virgin.

I have the V+HD downstairs, VHD box upstairs and the 20MB Broadband and have been really happy with it; the only regret is not switching sooner.

Just did a speed test and it's bang on as normal 1234312081.png

Would definitely recommend them.

Jon.

Never seen that test thing, tried on mine and I'm getting a disappointing 9.6mb out of the claimed 'Upto 20MB' (Does that mean I should only pay them half the money :good: )

I've had Virgin TV, phone and BB which I enjoyed very much, and now have Sky as we moved out of the Virgin area. Weirdly, Virgin installation and initial customer service was excellent, however after that it was rubbish with the foreign call centre types talking all over me and being rude. Virgin also took 5 months to send me some pre-paid boxes to return the set-top boxes etc, I called them 20 times and threatened to bin them before they did it. Apparently if you do bin them (or try to sell them) Virgin will sue you.

On to Sky, installation total and complete rubbish, needed two call-backs, and the broadband took five weeks to activate, however post-sales customer service absolutely excellent.

I can't slate then enough. rip off merchants and damn sneaky about it too.

If you decide to go with them make sure yous ask them what your credit limit is. They neglect to tell you this unless you ask. We had a £90 limit with them, go a penny over that and they cut you off. Everything, TV, BB and phone.

They are pretty much the same as sky to be honest. Once the honeymoon period is over they just treat you like ****.

I can't slate then enough. rip off merchants and damn sneaky about it too.

If you decide to go with them make sure yous ask them what your credit limit is. They neglect to tell you this unless you ask. We had a £90 limit with them, go a penny over that and they cut you off. Everything, TV, BB and phone.

They are pretty much the same as sky to be honest. Once the honeymoon period is over they just treat you like ****.

Echo the above, wish I'd have had the confidence to have written that in the first place.

Bazzb, Virgin run there own cable to you house and dont use the BT one so you would get far better than 3meg !

Ah ha I was lead to believe they use the same exchange as there is only BT stuff in our street as no virgin bits. Is that not the case then buddy? As and when they put it in my road I'll snap chance up though me thinks.