7mm - 08 rem - Whats it Like ?.

Its a very versitile round. I had a 7mm08 when I was out in New Zealand. Very capable, you can load them with bullets from 90 - 150 grain, I was using the 150's and some 120 grain homeloads that were great. Balllistics wise it is similar to .308 win but flies flatter. Excllent round but a would imagine its more expensive to purchase than .308 due to the popularity difference.

hits harder with a 140 grn bullet than the same bullet in 150 grn hits with a 308 at 200 yds + most don't shoot light bullets mine wont do 130's or below very good but is mustard with 140's As a fox round its just a little silly but it will kill them just fine. I might actually sell mine soon as i bought it when i was doing a lot of woodland work on big deer and as i stalk with a dog at hand all the time now so finding them is less of an issue and i shoot roe in the main anyway. Ballistically the modern 7x57 and on paper balistically it can do better than a .270 with all equivelent bullet weights and go heavier- but i am not about to start up another row with .270 lovers :lol:

for a reloader its a dream as you can neck down 308 brass in one step, though cases are not to bad to get. bullets are ok but you need to find out what it likes then buy a bunch

The 7-08 is a great round. More mild than the big 7's (280 rem, 7 mag) but still plenty of punch. I've said it before that for a British shooter that wants one rifle for fox up to reds, anything from the 260 rem (or 25-06) up to the 30-06 will get the job done. That gives you 308, 30-06, or x57 based cartridges from 25 to 30 caliber. Anything in that range will get the job done.

Thanks

Rick

I am seriously thinking of getting a 7mm-08 as my next rifle. I have shot one just once at Bisley, it felt good in the shoulder and I did OK with it. Being a bit recoil shy I find .308 a bit too thumpy after a while on the range, though if all I did was stalk with it I would not mind.

I would be wanting it for Deer, Boar (if I ever get the chance!) and targets. It is that full range of uses that steers me towards the 7mm.

Thanks for your comments, I have been checking out other sites in America and everyone seems to be of the same opinion = its a great round.

In fact I dont think I have found anyone who dislikes it !.

I think I will keep my eyes open for a nice piece of kit and take the plunge.

Thanks for your comments, I have been checking out other sites in America and everyone seems to be of the same opinion = its a great round.

theirs a gun shop in perth has a remy 700 with mod s and b scope v nice set up and cheap too might be worth a ring

were abouts are you? pm me i might be thinking towards selling mine with reloading kit etc. as its seeing little use these days

It is my favourite calibre (even above my much-loved 22-250).

I load 100gr, 140gr and 175gr and all three consistently group under one inch at 200 yards - if I do my bit.

All are run near flat out / max load and all use Varget.

Get one!