Bramble bush.....

ziplex

Any ideas guys? I've cut it right back (for the last 3 or so years) and dug up as much of the roots as I can but it's determined not to die :/ ...........any old wive's tales? or something I can buy that someone can vouch for as being terminal to the bloody thing? No other plants involved so no need to be delicate :good:

Right, my plan is to try a concoction of all these..........if you see a mushroom cloud appear in the south of Bristol you'll know what occured :good: I never thought of asking my mrs to look after it, truth be told that's probably the most fail safe suggestion :lol:

Thanks all, will get after it the weekend.

SBK + Roundup + Weedol, all available in B&Q. Spray it all over on a dry day, it'll look dead within an hour or two and won't come back in a hurry. Also works well on ground elder. As mentioned above, Grazon 90 works well but does persist in the soil, and sometimes you'll be asked for a PA certificate to buy it. Sodium chlorate will kill it, but is designed to persist in the soil. Paraffin helps penetrate waxy/shiny leaves like ivy or holly, and degrades quickly in soil. Diesel has a similar effect but takes longer to break down.

Glysophate will work get the concerntrate. Mine says 10 ml per liter be generous! Perhaps add in some SBK and anything else you have in the shed the new creosote subsitute works well :sly: It will zapp anything i do midday for best results. :good::blush:

Edited by Beretta28g

Looks like SBK will be easy to get hold of then, will try and report back :good: I've noticed a fair few brambles choking our front hedge as well as the area in question....would it be advisable to cut the brambles at ground level and spray/dowse the stumps or is SBK strong enough to kill the hedge off, i'm not wanting to stoop to my Mrs's effortless reputation as being the main killer of all 'nice' houseplants we've bought over the years :) i'd never hear the last of it if the privet turned a crispy shade of brown!

Will try other suggestions if this fails :good:

Edited by ziplex

I thought that this had been banned? If not, where can it be bought, local garden centres don't stock it, do I have to go to an agricultural stockist?

Its banned which is a real shame because its really effective on bramble.When i bought this house there was the mother of all bramble bushes at bottom of garden,but 3 double doses soon killed it off...along with the grass on other side of fence in playing field for 3 years.

Its banned which is a real shame because its really effective on bramble.When i bought this house there was the mother of all bramble bushes at bottom of garden,but 3 double doses soon killed it off...along with the grass on other side of fence in playing field for 3 years.

So far as I know it's only banned for sale as a weed killer. It's perfectly legal to buy it for other purposes should you be able to.