Mackerel Fishing

shotgunshortie

I would love to go spinning for some Mackerel in the next week or two. I live in Northamptonshire so couldn't be any further away from the sea but only takes a couple of hours to get to the Norfolk coast.

Does anyone have any advice as to where I can go, preferably off some rocks. I don't think you get any better fishing than mackerel on a spinner and taste great too!!!

Any tips or advice would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks!!!

Have you ever been to the east coast? LOL Not a lot of deep rock marks on the east side. Devon and Cornwall a better bet for rocks. I would think it was a bit early still for mackerel off the shore, but you'll get them in a boat. Maybe one of the piers? My brother had a couple of small bass off a Suffolk beach last week.

SGS we have had rough seas for the last week or so which has put a good bit of colour in the water which isn't ideal. It's also a bit early in the year. June usually sees mackerel arrive in numbers off the Norfolk beaches especially the shingle bank from Cley to Weybourne. This sea fishing site is a good place to look for up to date information. World Sea Fishing - East Coast

Cromer pier could be an option if you can put up with the mackerel murdering holiday makers with their floppy rods and no idea what a shockleader is...

Northampton...you will be able to get to the south coast just a quickly and will have a much better chance of mackerel...either Chesil at West Bexington or Abbotsbury would be a good bet. I had mackerel off Slapton sands two weeks ago so they are definitely around.

Good luck

Anthony

I'm in Northants too and totally agree with oscarsdad; the South coast is definitely easier to get to (straight down the A43, M40, A34 dual carriageway motorway all the way). The drive to the East coast across the Fens in summer is horrible! Good luck with the Mackerel!

Give Sarfend pier a go later in the month,i've seen 1000's of bass under the pier at times,and when the mackerel are in it's great sport.I've tried a freshwater power match rod for them and what a fight you get,float fish a small flashy lure with a piece of fish on. :good:

Alan :)

• 3 weeks later...