Crows and Rooks

docholiday

Well managed to get out for the first time on a new permission, a pig farm that has a real problem with the Corvids killing the piglets, set up my hide in what I thought would be a good position, good cover and leaves above my head

7e1f8178.jpg

set the fuds and whole body decoys up,

a0f603d8.jpg

Ended up with 16 in total after 4 hours

0aa45912.jpg

Learnt a lot today.

My calling was **** didnt make the slightest difference to any of the birds.

Doesnt matter how good the hide is its useless unless its near the birds.

RC4 no 5's are spot on for crows.

take hammer to put floaters in as ground is like concrete, I am sure half of the corvids died from broken necks when they hit the ground.

The wind was gusty and in a bad direction for my hide, none of the birds committed to the decoys just came in to about 20 - 30 feet then left, so it was snap shooting and despite everything I had a great day and will go on getting more experience of crow shooting...and I thought pigeons had good eye sight !!!

Good first attempt doc :good: yep crows are a little trickier than pigeons :yes:

You can go out and set up the same decoy pattern,in the same place on 2 different days and get totally different reactions :yes: one day they will commit,the next they wont come close :no:

Ive had days where ive stood in the middle of the decoys shooting,and the crows commited one after the other,like stukas on there final mission

Ive also had days,with a cracking hide,decent decoy pattern and " Nothing " :o BB

Try elevating one of your decoys :yes: on top of one of the fence posts(push a length of wire into the top of the post and sit your decoy onto it)

Or get one of those extending magnets and elevate one of your decoys on top of a pig arc :good:(see my avatar)

i think it makes your pattern more realistic,rather than all decoys on the floor :yes:

Edited by Bluebarrels

Had an hour to spare this afternoon so i dug the crow fuds outta the shed and modified them :yes: decided to give them another chance when the young birds are about later in the month :yes:

Got rid of the heavy metal ground spike, and stuck them back in the shed until winter :good:

made a small attachment and used a long spoke from a bike wheel :yes: had them out in the garden this afternoon,much easier to get the spoke into hard ground :yes: and they spin freely in to wind,so will add some movement to the pattern.And much much lighter :lol: BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

Had an hour to spare this afternoon so i dug the crow fuds outta the shed and modified them :yes: decided to give them another chance when the young birds are about later in the month :yes:

Got rid of the heavy metal ground spike, and stuck them back in the shed until winter :good:

made a small attachment and used a long spoke from a bike wheel :yes: had them out in the garden this afternoon,much easier to get the spoke into hard ground :yes: and they spin freely in to wind,so will add some movement to the pattern.And much much lighter :lol: BB

First time I have used FUDs and they seemed to work ok for me

First time I have used FUDs and they seemed to work ok for me

Well doc if they work for you,you crack on mate :yes: most on here find fuds heavy and difficult to get into the ground,thats why most are modding them :yes: was only offering some freindly advice :yes: BB

can see they could do with some modification, but seemed to work ok just sat on the ground, only tried them once so little experience :good: