Wildlife crime officer

OK. Following up from the post about interference with Larsen traps. I sent the following Email to N.Yorks Police:-

Hi.

I am a Gamekeeper and on occasion, have problems with people interfering or damaging, legal Larsen traps and would like to put on them, a notice similar to the attached(The 1 from Scotland). I do not know if you issue ID tags (as in Scotland) for the traps, but could the Officer advise me please?

Regards

I eventually got a response from my local WCO as follows: -

Mr ********

I am the WCO for the *********** area. With regard to your query concerning larsen trap tagging, I am not aware of the ID tags being used locally and wish state that although the traps are legal, North Yorkshire police would not support their contact details being attached as by doing so may appear to members of the public that NYP are actually involved in their use or endorsing them. My suggestion would be to endorse th traps with your own contact details.

As you will be aware there has been cases where offences have been committed through individuals misuse or abuse of larsen traps and I would like to take this opportunity to request that you make youself aware of the current requirements relating to correct use.

If you wish to discuss this further or any other wildlife related issue please contact me at ********** police station or forward on a telephone number and I will contact you.

The Email I sent, was about the Larsen trap labels, similar to the Scottish one, so maybe not an ID tag, as the laws are different.

BUT, as an WCO, also shows no interest or seemingly, involvement, in any criminal damage to traps and the illegal release of call birds.

Can anyone enlighten me, am I missing out on something? A WCO, not wanting to be involved with countryside matters :no:

P.s. Nearly spit the dummy out about "Misuse" and "Being aware of current requirements" :yp:

Probably a RSPCA supporter :oops:

Outrageous! Ask him why instead of addressing your legitimate concerns about criminal damage to your property, he is insinuating without foundation that you may be misusing your traps. Ask for a retraction and apology and if it's not forthcoming complain to the Chief constable, copied to the NGO, BASC and your MP.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Just contacted BASC, but to let them know all communications between myself and the Police, is too big for the website communication method, so now waiting for a response, to how I can let them have all details.

BASC also do the signs attached to Larsen traps for a small fee.

I have to say your police are rubbish.

Cheshire police may be obstructive when it comes to firearms (until a certain person gets moved on ) but in responding to wildlife crime they are very good, or rather the WPO I know is.

He came when I had the same problem, met me personally, walked round the key areas, explained the problems locally and on other local shoots and has since kept me fully informed of problems in the area. He walks the shoot at night when he can and rings if there are problems.

He and his colleagues will be mounting an anti poacher campaign with us this winter and his and our guys will be out together to cover the shoot.

I would hope for something like the help we have received but only in my wildest dreams.

None of the 'couldnt care less brigade' here.

It is always down to the individual, there is no overall training, no specific 'customer' orientation and often a degree of personal prejudice.

Some police clearly think there are crimes, there is vandalism and then there are legitimate vandals.

Often it can seem as if we (shooters), are in the last category.

Thankfully my experience has been much better than average.

You are right to complain and to have contacted BASC, just make sure you follow it up and pass on your experience to others in the local shoots to continue to press for a better response.

Rightly our police see the shoot community as another pair(s) of eyes. Many petty and some more serious criminals are poachers.

The wiser police forces enlist the support of their shoot communities as methods of tracking criminals - it has worked here so it can work elsewhere.

Best of luck in your endeavours.

Kes

to an extent I can see where they are coming from, why you'd want to put the police details on them is a little odd. Best bet is to make sure they are well hidden away from footpaths, checked regularly etc If you want to put a notice on then you could try a small explanation note about why you are trapping to help native song birds how they are checked twice a day and kept with food and water, and that they are legal. laminate a few and stick them nearby. The best policy is well out of peoples sight though

Unfortunately like ALL jobsworth type jobs within government organisations those with the best qualifications for the job get sidelined into something totally alien to them whilst others such as anti's actually work at getting placements into jobs where they can make the most nuisance of themselves. Wildlife crime officers are most likely twitters on their day off! :rolleyes:

That's a very poor response from the NYP WCO :angry:.

I'd be inclined to phone them up and put them straight on a few matters. Also, as others have said you could try and find some more discreet locations for the traps away from footpaths? Trapping animals is always going to be a difficult subject for Joe Public to handle, but as you have good reason the least NYP could do is be a tad more proactive :yes:.

Well, been in touch with BASC. Sent them the Email correspondence, now awaiting advice.

Don't have to tell me about hiding the traps away, it is a natural thing to do round here, bloody tourists. This one in particular, was well hidden from Joe public, but I must have been spotted entering the wood. Not only releasing the bird and interfering with the trap, they were trespassing as well!

Oddly enough, I had better help from the RSPCA, last year, when another trespasser reported to them, "Birds in Cages". It infuriates me, that these people think that they can walk anywhere, even where there are no rights of way!

So, now it's a case of, Watch this space!

Paul T...How's the Downe Arms at Carlton nowadays? Used to play Darts and Doms in there, seems a lifetime ago!

Good idea with the pointing out how trapping maggies and corvids helps the songbird population. How about a clear laminated sign saying

THIS TRAP IS IN USE TO PROTECT AND PRESERVE THE HARMONIC BALANCE OF OUR THREATENED NATIVE SONGBIRD POPULATION

Well, been in touch with BASC. Sent them the Email correspondence, now awaiting advice.

Don't have to tell me about hiding the traps away, it is a natural thing to do round here, bloody tourists. This one in particular, was well hidden from Joe public, but I must have been spotted entering the wood. Not only releasing the bird and interfering with the trap, they were trespassing as well!

Oddly enough, I had better help from the RSPCA, last year, when another trespasser reported to them, "Birds in Cages". It infuriates me, that these people think that they can walk anywhere, even where there are no rights of way!

So, now it's a case of, Watch this space!

Paul T...How's the Downe Arms at Carlton nowadays? Used to play Darts and Doms in there, seems a lifetime ago!

Downe Arms is in Snaith - Odddfellows & Foresters in Carlton :good:

Downe Arms still serves good hand-pulled beers, but like most pubs is struggling to make a decent living - drink driving and cheap supermarket booze etc.

other than the ones appearing on tv regularly with the BASC and NGO with regard to trying to stop deer poaching?

Our local one works very closely with our shoot and a couple of the local keepers and seems a knowledgeable bloke who certainly isn't an anti. Certainly gets everything mobilized when we have the ****** running dogs about

Wildlife crime officers are basically Anti's that are working to rid the country of country sports.

The clue is in the job title.

:no: The couple I've met have been shooters and very pro legal country sports. They are just very anti poaching, badger digging, illegal coursing etc :good: I agree the one dealing with the OP needs a bit of eduction, but I think this is the exception, not the norm.

I would be tempted to put my own sign on saying that,

PC plod Wildlife crime officer tel.1234 5321 can be called to verify the legal use of this device,and any interferance is criminal damage.

All you are doing is assisting the public. Then wait till he has a few calls .

Is he going to say they are illegal? I dont think so.

Be interesting to see what the police response would be?

Edited by nipper

I would be tempted to put my own sign on saying that,

PC plod Wildlife crime officer tel.1234 5321 can be called to verify the legal use of this device,and any interferance is criminal damage.

All you are doing is assisting the public. Then wait till he has a few calls .

Is he going to say they are illegal? I dont think so.

Be interesting to see what the police response would be?

:yes::yes:

If you asked the average dog walker "Who is the local Wildlife crime officer?) They wouldnt have a clue!

Get the guys name and number up all over the place so they know exactly who to call.

This is what the guy gets paid for !

OK. Following up from the post about interference with Larsen traps. I sent the following Email to N.Yorks Police:-

Hi.

I am a Gamekeeper and on occasion, have problems with people interfering or damaging, legal Larsen traps and would like to put on them, a notice similar to the attached(The 1 from Scotland). I do not know if you issue ID tags (as in Scotland) for the traps, but could the Officer advise me please?

Regards

I eventually got a response from my local WCO as follows: -

Mr ********

I am the WCO for the *********** area. With regard to your query concerning larsen trap tagging, I am not aware of the ID tags being used locally and wish state that although the traps are legal, North Yorkshire police would not support their contact details being attached as by doing so may appear to members of the public that NYP are actually involved in their use or endorsing them. My suggestion would be to endorse th traps with your own contact details.

As you will be aware there has been cases where offences have been committed through individuals misuse or abuse of larsen traps and I would like to take this opportunity to request that you make youself aware of the current requirements relating to correct use.

If you wish to discuss this further or any other wildlife related issue please contact me at ********** police station or forward on a telephone number and I will contact you.

The Email I sent, was about the Larsen trap labels, similar to the Scottish one, so maybe not an ID tag, as the laws are different.

BUT, as an WCO, also shows no interest or seemingly, involvement, in any criminal damage to traps and the illegal release of call birds.

Can anyone enlighten me, am I missing out on something? A WCO, not wanting to be involved with countryside matters :no:

P.s. Nearly spit the dummy out about "Misuse" and "Being aware of current requirements" :yp:

Probably a RSPCA supporter :oops:

Update

Not heard anything yet, but as I explained to BASC, I'm not the best diplomat with words, I speak my mind too much. So, probably, they may be in contact with the "powers to be", as the signs that they issue for Larsen traps, advises the public to contact the nearest Police Station :blink:

I've got IR trail cams, but are put to better use for 4 legged vermin control, as, the occasions the damage happens, is infrequent, usually Bank holidays, when the area is saturated with bloody tourists. Oh, roll on winter, when they all ****** off :good:

Wildlife crime officers are basically Anti's that are working to rid the country of country sports.

The clue is in the job title.

The depth of ignorance of some people on here never fails to impress me. I'll tell this to our Wildlife Officer next time I see him. He's a real anti. If you ignore his fly-fishing, deer stalking, rabbit and pigeon shooting and mole trapping that is. :rolleyes:

Going back to the original point; Why should the police have their contact number on a Larsen Trap :hmm: You don't put the police number on your car to deter thieves and what exactly would be achieved? The type of people who release call birds from traps are fully aware of the law and choose to ignore it because of their principles. And even if you caught them getting a prosecution given today's Criminal Justice System would be unlikely even if they admitted intent.

Have a peek at tonights York evening Press and look for the poacher nabbed by NYP after a 100mph pursuit..............is that proactive enough for you?

You may wish to search the press for Operation Jumbo-anti poacher campaign.

regards Fudd

That's a very poor response from the NYP WCO :angry:.

I'd be inclined to phone them up and put them straight on a few matters. Also, as others have said you could try and find some more discreet locations for the traps away from footpaths? Trapping animals is always going to be a difficult subject for Joe Public to handle, but as you have good reason the least NYP could do is be a tad more proactive :yes:.