Brown Leakage From Seam.... Normal???

Spiderdude

So a gap is ok in their mind is it? If you're getting rust coloured oil out then that means that something somewhere is rusting. Oil with powder residue will be pulled into the joint where you cannot clean it and the gun will be getting eaten away from the inside (slowly, but that's hardly the point). That's not something I'd be happy with from a thousand pound plus shotgun. My Baikal doesn't do it?! :o

So what they are saying is that a brazed monobloc joint with a cavity in it is perfectly acceptable ?

It may have passed a Proof test on leaving the factory but if air/water/corosive powder residue can get in at the joint, sooner or later corosion is likely to be a problem.

Have Beretta had the silver pig 1 made for them in turkey or something?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am sorry , but I could not except that explantion from the distributor . No matter what they say this should not be happening . I would want my money back or an exchange gun . You might let a proper gunsmith have a look at just for a second opinion . How can they tell you that this problem is normal ,when in fact it is not .

Harnser .

I would want an other gun just looked at my Beretta's and none of the barrels have any gaps, they are original 682s not modern rubbish ones and therefore probable better built. But I would not be happy with that even on a budget gun, let alone from a top maker.

Mine was one of the original silver action 682's, not a modern one.

It was over 20 years ago. I used to use WD40 to clean the bores and I noticed that it was weeping from where the monobloc was. I plugged the breech ends and filled the tubes with penetrating oil, up to the forcing cone.

The top barrel was OK, the bottom one leaked, why not try yours :hmm:

This is from where I mean. Unfortunately the oil has wiped off whilst in the bag.

But this is the seam I am pointing to.

post-30251-0-63935900-1307035390.jpg

I have watched this thread with interest. Many of the postings have been correct in part, but this is my opinion. The method employed by Beretta and many others of forming their barrels on a monoblock system is a fully proven method of creating barrels. As it sleeving, which is a process which has been employed in the guntrade for numerous years. The process of sliding two tubes into a monoblock chamber is exceptionally strong and meets the requirement of proof houses around the world. Our blackers often experience minimal leakage from the monoblock when re-blacking barrels. However, from the looks of your Beretta it is a very new model and you are obviously quite meticulous with the way you keep it. Should you as a client be expected to have a product which I deem has failed? I do not accept that all Berettas leak from the monoblock, I know they do not. While I accept that this is more of a cosmetic issue than a safety one, I feel you should exercise your rights and return to the dealer and allow them to deal with GMK. Let me assure you if you were a client of mine and your gun would be at GMK's now, they would find it very difficult to get me to accept their version of normal. I think you are being frightfully British here and rolling over! You have spent a lot of money to purchase a quality gun - don't roll over.

Regards

Sage

Sage, thank you for your comments. I do value all input from all members, but I am aware you are very much respected on here and you know your guns.

I am passing the dealer I bought it from next Saturday, so I will be taking the gun to them and asking them to address it.

I have one further question, should I be returning the complete gun to them or just the barrels?

I have to admit I am very disappointed with this particular gun. I bought Beretta as it is a quality brand. But I guess I went for a budget version and as a result got budget quality.. Maybe once it's back I'll sell it and replace with a better quality version.

Yes , return the whole gun in case they want to send it off to replace it . Then start to pull arms off . This may be just a cosmetic problem ,but wait untill you want to sell it on ,I wouldnt want to buy it .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

Been to clay shoot today... Yep, contrary to what GMK say mine is definitely not normal.

Looked at some other Beretta's including silver pig...

Others that looked at mine also said that it looks knackered.

I didn't use it today just took it to compare.. So its heading back to dealer next weekend.

Spiderdude,

I too have exactly the same Silver Pigeon 1 with 30 inch barrells which is also only a few months old.

Having read this thread I decided to check mine and can confirm that the entire seal around the barrel is fine. There are no gaps especially large ones that are big enough to get a finger nail into.

If my gun was the same then I would definitly return it and request a replacement gun as the damage may already be done.

Please let us know how you get on and what GMK/Berettas response is.

Good luck

V

Yes , return the whole gun in case they want to send it off to replace it . Then start to pull arms off . This may be just a cosmetic problem ,but wait untill you want to sell it on ,I wouldnt want to buy it .

Harnser .

Like your style, we sing of the same hymn sheet.