Help from deer stalkers required

Well, I've spent a few hours searching the web for advice, searched this Forum, and searched through ammunition manufacturer's sites looking for the ideal load/calibre for muntjac and CWD.

There is an increasing number of muntjac where I shoot, and I see no reason why I shouldn't be granted a suitable calibre to remove a few - the land is vast and clear of public access.

Anyway, I'm seeking help from all you old hands at this sort of thing for the optimum calibre/set-up solely for muntjac, bearing in mind the legal requirements.

I don't wish or need to shoot foxes, or any other deer other than munties or CWD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :good:

Hi

I use a .222 for Muntjac and fox, as well as Roe north of the border, and I have found this calibre fit for purpose.

Not much in it between .223 & .222 on paper - perhaps a 'personal flavour' thing...........mild recoil, easy to reload (if you go down that route).

Perhaps not as many pre-owned rifles about in this calibre but still available. My Tikka M595, in stainless/synthetic and topped with a 3-9x42 Nikko scope, has always done the necessary providing I do my bit.

I have read some suggestion that this calibre is on the wane - who knows for sure but until then and beyond I will continue to enjoy it.

Ciao

as such there is no ideal caliber, as you aren't foxing with it or plinking then you might as well go .243 as it has a bit more punch to it and you can use a far greater range of bullet weights. Cost on ammo won't really be an issue for your use and if you ever decided to have a go for larger deer that would be covered. (best not to say you never will as its a bit addictive :lol: )

All that said I shot my first few with a .223 and no problems at all so really anything that fits the legal side will do the job

I'd go .243 because you say now that its only CWD and munties your after just give it a few months/years and then you'll fancy a go on roe or maybe fallow and it'll do those comfortably and will kill sika and red also but some would argue its a little bit under gunned but thats a different topic all together. When I got my first centre fire for a bit of roe stalking and possibly a bit of reds I went for 6.5x55 (admitidly if you going muntjac and cwd not necessary) and have had it for a year now and take roe, red and fallow with muntjac on the cards later in summer so be warned its highly addictive. So i'd say go for something that give you that bit more scope for different species. Good luck with it all

Edited by groach1234

Hi i use 223 and 243 depending on where i go, the 223 with 50grn i use out to 200yds and the 243 with 70grn anything further, i also use a fixed mag scope on the 223 and a 6x18-50 on the 243, factory ammo depends on what the gun likes. Atb Woodydog.

If you want only 1 rifle that'll do the job on anything from foxes to BIG Reds then .243 is the most versatile one!

can't see why someone would buy anything else personally, not long back it was the only option. i have never i admit ever stalked munties or teddy bears but the .243" is a light kicking, hard hitting wonder on roe and fox with a better choice of bullets than any .22 which are mainly centred around high fragmentation varmint stuff. With the .243" you can have anything from ultra quick fragmenting to bullets developed for big reds :good:

The answer to your specific question is probably .223, especially as by implication you are new to this deer business.

That will be easier to obtain than a .243 in many regions and is a versatile calibre in many ways, and legal (and perfectly capable) for Roe up top of the UK.

I hear what your post says and there may be other issues, if you have the money get a .243 Later, but maybe consider it now, that is all deer legal!

The .243 comes in for a some stick in some quarters, generally I find from those who can't shoot, don't know about ammo availability/types/performance, read too many forums and have probably never used one! :yes::good:

I have in CF .223, .243 and .308, they all have their uses! :yes::yes: !

The .243 comes in for a some stick in some quarters, generally I find from those who can't shoot, don't know about ammo availability/types/performance, read too many forums and have probably never used one! :yes::good:

I have in CF .223, .243 and .308, they all have their uses! :yes::yes: !

The .243 is a very fast round. No matter what bullet you use it will always be a little more messy than a larger/slower round. To get slower and still legal you need to be heavier which the .243 doesn't do well.

I have no doubt that you get on great with your .243, but I preferred the 6.5x55 myself! And yes, I've had and used both on small Deer.

Yes your right RG, but in your post you are using a 243,

so.....no stipulation on bullet weight in England for Roe using a 243...I'm referring to bullet weight, not caliber.

Is everybody just looking for a fight or what, the original post was asking what gun for shooting Munties and CWD. My personal choice is 243 using 100gr soft points, and to explain it more slowly for the mentally inflicted, using 243 over 223 will make it legal if a Roe buck steps out,was it that complicated :hmm:

Is everybody just looking for a fight or what, the original post was asking what gun for shooting Munties and CWD. My personal choice is 243 using 100gr soft points, and to explain it more slowly for the mentally inflicted, using 243 over 223 will make it legal if a Roe buck steps out,was it that complicated :hmm:

Sorry, a bit slower please, I didn't get that .... what about, say a 120g bullet in a Hornet, mix the powder with a bit of nitrous, wouldn't that give enough power/energy?

:lol::lol:

:D:D

Sorry, a bit slower please, I didn't get that .... what about, say a 120g bullet in a Hornet, mix the powder with a bit of nitrous, wouldn't that give enough power/energy?

:lol::lol:

You run out of medication again Dekers, you know you wouldnt have enough legal energy for any deer running 120g through your Hornet,unless of course your still using the explosive tips (didnt know you could still get em)

You run out of medication again Dekers, you know you wouldnt have enough legal energy for any deer running 120g through your Hornet,unless of course your still using the explosive tips (didnt know you could still get em)

Plenty of medication left, but I can't seem to track down any 120g bullets to fit the Hornet.

Back to the church roof I guess and time to turn the heat up full on the camping stove.......anyone seen my mould???