Serious Firearms Charges

Possibly more about who you know in these situations, being nearly neighbours with BASC HQ it all helps. I reckon he was lucky to get away with it entirely as to have upset the neighbours in a rural location with a LR something doesn't add up,

I think that is a classic case of the benefit of a very well funded defence employing a very expensive barrister. I would wager that the case would have been lost in less cash rich circumstances.

So do we take it that any member of the family can use a .22LR firearm out of a bedroom window to shoot rabbits in the vegetable patch as long as the certificate holder allows it and is somewhere on the premises - I don't think so!

Rather than rejoice that somebody's right to shoot was successfully defended - by BASC no less - this turns into some sort of X-files conspiracy theory thread.

I hope a passing busy-body sticks their nose into your shooting affairs so we can provide similar support.

Tossers.

Its a grey area, it was argued he was under supervision by the FAC holder and shooting on property he owned. Where its a bit grey is he wasn't directly supervised rabbits obviously are fair quarry and presumably the FAC holder had an open ticket or his house and land was a reasonable size and cleared anyway. I'd suggest all members wouldn't get treated to the paid for Barrister in a similar situation so don't think about trying this at home kids.

He obviously did wind up the neighbours or passers by which is fine as long as he isn't too close to a road there is more to it and be interesting come renewal time when he might need the big guns wheeled out again to keep his ticket.

p.s up yours too flashman ;)

pps the story is here

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/05/21/rugby-ace-cleared-of-firearms-charges-in-north-wales-55578-28734541/

Edited by al4x

does make you wonder if playing for chester daddy being a professor and living in the hall got him any better representation than say joe bloggs living in council property with a daddy on disability and playing for the rose and crown sunday team

just a thought....

Essex Police.

Just rang them to check what's going on, It's been 4 weeks. They say that the paper work has been sent to my FEO and he will call me. Would it been seen as bad practise to give him a call, to speed things up a litte? Still things appear to be moving :good:

Not atall - well worth keeping tabs on them - just keep your enquiries professional and always be polite.

My SGC progressed fine - but (last Feb) my FAC took too long (12 week in total) as it did temorarily go missing between desks in the office :blush: but when they found it they did expedite it and it arrived quickly.

In general Essex work fairly well I believe.

Steve

Edited by shoughton

Not atall - well worth keeping tabs on them - just keep your enquiries professional and always be polite.

My SGC progressed fine - but (last Feb) my FAC took too long (12 week in total) as it did temorarily go missing between desks in the office :blush: but when they found it they did expedite it and it arrived quickly.

In general Essex work fairly well I believe.

Steve

Cheers Steve, as they didn't say when it was sent I'll leave it till Monday and drop him a quick line :lookaround:

Oh yeah let's turn this into a class issue...

It went to trial and the bloke was found not guilty by a jury. It shouldn't have gone that far.

Well done BASC, job jobbed.

Having myself been on the receiving end of a potentially serious licensing problem and who called on BASC, I hope some of you non BASC members get the same. You are not safe thinking it won't happen to you.

In summary, well done BASC and I'm with Flashman on this one

This case is explained in some detail in the current issue of 'Shooting Times',regarding what is meant in the 1968 Firearms Act over the term 'present' and 'supervised'.

Peter Glenser told the court: 'The firearms act 1968 recognises there are legitimate occasions when someone can borrow a rifle that is held on someone else's certificate.It does not define what 'present' means;what it does not mean is 'supervised'.In other parts of the act,it uses the word when dealing with young people.If it meant 'supervised',it would say so.'

Well done BASC.

Oh yeah let's turn this into a class issue...

It went to trial and the bloke was found not guilty by a jury. It shouldn't have gone that far.

Well done BASC, job jobbed.

Having myself been on the receiving end of a potentially serious licensing problem and who called on BASC, I hope some of you non BASC members get the same. You are not safe thinking it won't happen to you.

In summary, well done BASC and I'm with Flashman on this one

Well done BASC indeed. Like yourself, I have been very relieved to have had the back up of BASC when I needed it.

so can someone explain what the law actually states about something like this?

Firearms (ammendment) act 1988

16 Borrowed rifles on private premises..

(1)A person of or over the age of seventeen may, without holding a firearm certificate, borrow a rifle from the occupier of private premises and use it on those premises in the presence either of the occupier or of a servant of the occupier if—.

(a)the occupier or servant in whose presence it is used holds a firearm certificate in respect of that rifle; and.

(b)the borrower’s possession and use of it complies with any conditions as to those matters specified in the certificate..

(2)A person who by virtue of subsection (1) above is entitled without holding a firearm certificate to borrow and use a rifle in another person’s presence may also, without holding such a certificate, purchase or acquire ammunition for use in the rifle and have it in his possession during the period for which the rifle is borrowed if—.

(a)the firearm certificate held by that other person authorises the holder to have in his possession at that time ammunition for the rifle of a quantity not less than that purchased or acquired by, and in the possession of, the borrower; and.

(b)the borrower’s possession and use of the ammunition complies with any conditions as to those matters specified in the certificate.

I'm guessing the FAC holder had an open license......

Firearms (ammendment) act 1988

16 Borrowed rifles on private premises..

(1)A person of or over the age of seventeen may, without holding a firearm certificate, borrow a rifle from the occupier of private premises and use it on those premises in the presence either of the occupier or of a servant of the occupier if—.

(a)the occupier or servant in whose presence it is used holds a firearm certificate in respect of that rifle; and.

(b)the borrower’s possession and use of it complies with any conditions as to those matters specified in the certificate..

(2)A person who by virtue of subsection (1) above is entitled without holding a firearm certificate to borrow and use a rifle in another person’s presence may also, without holding such a certificate, purchase or acquire ammunition for use in the rifle and have it in his possession during the period for which the rifle is borrowed if—.

(a)the firearm certificate held by that other person authorises the holder to have in his possession at that time ammunition for the rifle of a quantity not less than that purchased or acquired by, and in the possession of, the borrower; and.

(b)the borrower’s possession and use of the ammunition complies with any conditions as to those matters specified in the certificate.

I'm guessing the FAC holder had an open license......

Many thanks for that information.

It rather looks as though the scepticism I expressed in my earlier post was unfounded.

Assuming either that the land was cleared or the license was open the only question is one of supervision (and the unhelpful relationship between the shooter and the neighbour).

So I too now wonder why the case was ever brought to court and am also very pleased to be a member of BASC.

I have an open license and it clarifies the fact that I can allow visitors under my close supervision to "have a go" with my rimfires in my back garden at targets.