Anyone sell logs for firewood?

foxbuster

AS it is unseasoned oak, probably not a lot. Oak is one of the slowest drying woods there is, so anyone buying it would expect to get it pretty cheaply because they wont be able to use it for such a long time.

If you have the space to season it for a year or two you could get a decent price for it as properly seasoned oak logs make excellent fuel.

Do they? oak was used in ship building and houses as it doesn't burn that well tends to char on the outside till it really gets some fire built up under it. If really dry and split it will burn but best mixed with other wood such as Ash, simple answer is you will sell it round her you would probably be looking in the region of £100 a tonne with someone prepared to store it 12 months minimum

Do they? oak was used in ship building and houses as it doesn't burn that well tends to char on the outside till it really gets some fire built up under it. If really dry and split it will burn but best mixed with other wood such as Ash, simple answer is you will sell it round her you would probably be looking in the region of £100 a tonne with someone prepared to store it 12 months minimum

It does burn very well when seasoned for a couple of years. It burns evenly and slowly so it's a good wood to put on overnight. I think oak was used for ships and houses because it is easy to work when green and as it drys out it gets stronger and harder, also it is very good at coping with damp and won't rot easily. As for it not burning well, tell that to the Londoners of 1666!

A sawmill near me sells green oak off-cuts by the pick-up load for £25.

Edited by FalconFN

Round here any logs (usually a reasonable mix) will cost you £100 - £120 a ton load...unless you're a scavenger with a Stihl like me :good: As to the best to use on open fires, read on...

LOGS FOR BURNING

Beechwood fires are bright and clear if the logs be kept a year.

Chestnut’s only good, they say, if for long it’s laid away.

Make a fire of elder tree, death within your house shall be.

But ash new or ash old is fit for a queen with a crown of gold.

Birch and fir logs burn too fast; blaze up bright and do not last.

It is by the Irish said, hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.

Elm wood burns like a churchyard mould; e’en the very flames be cold.

But ash green or ash brown is fit for a queen with a golden crown.

Poplar gives a bitter smoke, fills your eyes and makes you choke.

Apple wood will scent your room with an incense-like perfume.

Oaken logs, if old and dry, a king shall warm his slippers by.

I'm still a bit of a greenhorn with learning what burns well,(or not :rolleyes: )but i'd agree with what others have said in that seasoned oak burns really well if you mix in softer woods with it. Like Highlander i've had a little Stihl in the back of the car for ages now and come across all sorts of usable wood, that needs a little trim here and there :whistling:, even our old and very warped 6ft pine dining table has been cut up ready for the winter. I was bordering on being obsessed with wood collection until I was offered nigh on 3 tonne of cut slatted and pallatised wood which will last us god knows how long....may of needed therapy otherwise :lol:

A sawmill near me sells green oak off-cuts by the pick-up load for £25.

Wish they did around here! Oak is great for over night so you can still get the fire going in the morning.

I used to sell seasoned beech logs for £90 per level hi capacity Landrover load. Around here you get quite a wide range of prices, I was at the lower end for the quality of wood I was selling but more than a few guys sold rubbish. As a first attempt, guess who got the work?! Not me!