DAM BUSTERS

Highlander

James - totally agree. If the original name of the dog is kept or changed it will upset someone.

Leave the dog out of the film.

The film is about bombing the enemy, where a lot of people died - on both sides. Leaving a dog out of the film is trivial by comparison.

Spot on.

If you want to crusade against political correctness this is not the start...

Moreover, this is such a minor detail to the event of blowing a dam up with a revolutionary bomb and which involved large scale human sacrifice.

So I think that the people who laid down their lives would give two ****s about the fella's dog. Nah. I think they would be more shocked to think that there was a discussion on the subject and on the film that focused not on the grit, determination and human sacrifice but a dogs name or the alteration thereof.

Don't get me wrong, I am as about as un-PC as you can get but this thread is being daft and angry for the sake of being daft and angry.

And how many black American pilots were there? In WW2 or ever. You can't hid the facts by changing the name of a dog. Black Americans were OK for cannon fodder and infantry but not pilot or officer material.

I think they should keep the dog's name to show how things were in those days. Its a historical fact.

Don't see why they have to remake it. Oh yeah, yes I do. It's because they have run out of original thought in Hollywood.

****** all the way for me. It was what his dog WAS called, not what he CALLED it. If you see what I mean.

He was called Guy Gibson, not Winston Codogo, of 55 Mercer Road.

I heard the Stephen Fry interview and got the distinct impression that whilst he personally thinks the name should remain, it would be commercial suicide especially in the USA. So it is simply a business decision.

He also made the point that the dog's death just before the mission had a significant impact on the morale of those involved and as such is an important part of the film - to leave out the dog altogether would detract from the plot.

Most older people will know that Digger was not the original name and those that don't will find out because it will be the most talked about thing in every review. I hope the story is told well in a successful film and the younger generation learn a bit about the history of our country, the bravery of the pilots and the ingenuity of our scientists and engineers, and if a bit of PC has to come into it to appease the idiots and ensure a wider audience then so be it.

I heard the Stephen Fry interview and got the distinct impression that whilst he personally thinks the name should remain, it would be commercial suicide especially in the USA. So it is simply a business decision.

He also made the point that the dog's death just before the mission had a significant impact on the morale of those involved and as such is an important part of the film - to leave out the dog altogether would detract from the plot.

Most older people will know that Digger was not the original name and those that don't will find out because it will be the most talked about thing in every review. I hope the story is told well in a successful film and the younger generation learn a bit about the history of our country, the bravery of the pilots and the ingenuity of our scientists and engineers, and if a bit of PC has to come into it to appease the idiots and ensure a wider audience then so be it.

Sensible, measured post :good:

On a related note I've noticed they remove the dogs name whenever the film is on tv these days (my grandad was transport manager on it btw)

That's true :yes:

There was a time after the dropping of the N word when the dog was called 'Blackie' when it was screened. I kid you not. :lol:

Watched the film about a month ago and the dogs name was not censored.

On a different note, the N word is used quite extensively these days by the very people it is supposed to denigrate, particularly those with a preference for rap music.

Strange old state of affairs.

show me where the word is allowed to remain in mainstream media transmissions....

Cee lo green - forget you, The song was an instant hit, reaching the top spot in the UK and the Netherlands and charted at number two on the US Billboard Hot 100.

Quote from the song.

(oh **** she's a gold digger)

Well

(just thought you should know ******)

My Grandad had a dog of the same name many years ago, he was not a rasist.

What we think don't make a dam of differance. It will have to be changed, just think of all the people who would jump on the rasist bandwagon and how this might make the British people look to others, it would be blown up out of proportion with all the spin doctors and papers out there making our country look bad. I don't want to be thought of as a rasist.

What about Rick Stein his Jack Rusell was called Chalky. I guess it was because of his colour, same thing in a way to the other dog.

I can see both sides of the argument however I personally dont think it should not be changed. The film is about a series of famous historical events 70 odd years ago. That was the dogs name, during the film it was never used with malice or degradation in mind.It is an interesting snapshot of how times and language has changed. In the 40s having a gay old time had no sexual connotatons whatsoever.Should we change the language of the entire film to suit modern tastes? If the film was fictional and was being brought up to date of course it should be changed, but it isnt so in my opinion it should be left alone.

At one point in my life coloured was the acceptable term and over time that became offensive and I have heard it spoken with much malice so it is now no longer acceptable. Foriegner may well also become an offensive word

Edited by bvemanta