Tonights success...

gibby

dont want to cause any greif

but do you realise that u have just wiped out a full litter of cubs if thats a dog fox the vixen will stay and feed her cubs as long as she can but when hunger gets the better of her she will probaly eat her cubs

if its a vixen well the cubs are going to die of starvation

it all depends on how far the litter is up. are they on solids, if so they might survive. there is a very slim chance.

i have killed 100's of foxes but i believe that this time of year they should be left alone (unless they are taking stock) then i will get a phone call off mr farmer to ask if i can deal with the problem

so if people insist on still killing foxes this time of year please keep it to yourself as some of us have ethics

dont want to cause any greif

but do you realise that u have just wiped out a full litter of cubs if thats a dog fox the vixen will stay and feed her cubs as long as she can but when hunger gets the better of her she will probaly eat her cubs

if its a vixen well the cubs are going to die of starvation

it all depends on how far the litter is up. are they on solids, if so they might survive. there is a very slim chance.

i have killed 100's of foxes but i believe that this time of year they should be left alone (unless they are taking stock) then i will get a phone call off mr farmer to ask if i can deal with the problem

so if people insist on still killing foxes this time of year please keep it to yourself as some of us have ethics

Not again Tommy?? :/

I shoot the odd fox this time of year on the request of farmers, even though they are not doing anything, YET!!

They dont like to see them around their lambs, even if they are not taking them.

Its more of just prevention really.

But saying that, i dont go out of my way to shoot them at the moment, but if a farmer spots a fox hanging around the lambs, he calls me and i put an end to it right away without thinking, even if that fox has not touched a lamb. :lol:

That 6.5 is making you soft Tommy?? :)

:< Tommy i feel as though i must retort... I breed £1000's of pounds worth of exhibition call ducks and waterfowl that range from £50-£200 a pair. They are now sitting on clutches of eggs and i feel it is necessary for me to keep "pests" under control no matter what time of year.

keep it to yourself as some of us have ethics

Some of us may have "ethics" but we also have responsibilities...

I feel you've made an unfair assumption here.

:< Tommy i feel as though i must retort... I breed £1000's of pounds worth of exhibition call ducks and waterfowl that range from £50-£200 a pair. They are now sitting on clutches of eggs and i feel it is necessary for me to keep "pests" under control no matter what time of year.

HEAR HEAR.well said.

if were to turn a blind eye due to cubs,kittens and other youngens then i would be quickley replaced

now you have the responsability of taking care of the rest of the family

coz your ducks will be no1 target as there is only now 1 parent to rear the cubs

if they are on solid food yet. if it was the vixen you shot and the cubs arent on solids well they are going to starve mate

all i'm saying is please WORD your posts a bit better

ie

iwent out to pop a few bunnies, but came across a fox who was upto no good and far to close to my ducks i have £1,000s of exibition ducks(@ £50-£200) a pair and are now sitting on eggs

i couldnt take any chances i took him out with etc etc

i will now do my up most to find and take care of the vixen & cubs

job well done, no food for the antis and i would have said

"good shooting mate hope u succeed in finding the vixen & cubs"

Was using my trusty .22lr, and the shot was paced out at 86 yards... :lol: I know someone will comment about it being a lengthy shot with .22lr but i know my rifle and my capabilities.

But do you know the consistancy of your ammunition (.22 Rimfire ammo is **** IMO) ............Although a good shot I would say a element of luck was invloved at this distance .

I agree with Tommy ..................How a post is worded makes alot of difference ............Also ........Does the threat of being replaced take away the humane side of us and create an attitude to shoot everything because it's in range ,I hope not they are certainly not my ethics ..................don't get me wrong ,I've wounded my fair share of quarry but if it's possible to take out the den or track something you've wounded then every effort should be made to follow up the shot . Alas not the case with flying quarry I know :lol:

This time of year I either await the phone call from Farmer Parmer or assess the situation myself AND SHOULD IT BE A fOX TAKING STOCK i WOULD NOT HESITATE PULLING THE TRIGGER ......Don't think I'll be replaced as I help out alot in other areas ETC! :lol:

Each to their own ,each to their own :lol: ..............Remember it's good for this pastime to have a balance of views and not for us all to sing off the same hymn sheet :lol:

Sorry gibby for hi-jacking the thread

But do you know the consistancy of your ammunition (.22 Rimfire ammo is **** IMO) ............Although a good shot I would say a element of luck was invloved at this distance .

Not luck at all... The rifle itself is sighted in for 75 yards. I put many boxes of ammo through the rifle each week, finding out the holds i need for different ranges.

I hate to say it but sport and vermin control are two different things entirely. I personaly would prefer to use a terrier at this time of year for killing cubs and the vixens but now its warmed up, any barren vixens or dog foxes will be above ground so they need to be lamped or driven to guns. Tommy, youre an experienced shooter so I'm not sure why you cant see this and why you see the need to have a go at anyone who puts up pictures of dead foxes.

Have I missed something??

Chris

I hate to say it but sport and vermin control are two different things entirely.  I personaly would prefer to use a terrier at this time of year for killing cubs and the vixens but now its warmed up, any barren vixens or dog foxes will be above ground so they need to be lamped or driven to guns.  Tommy, youre an experienced shooter so I'm not sure why you cant see this and why you see the need to have a go at anyone who puts up pictures of dead foxes.

Have I missed something??

Chris

yes mate u missed ur place in the queue for brains & had to go right to the back of the queue and start again :oops:?????????:P

Edited by tommy trucker

Tommy thats a tad unnecessary. The post was totally justified. If you are shooting foxes for Vermin control rather than sport and its part of your job any fox is better off dead than alive. Ok it may cause suffering to young but its no worse than the fox being run over. Nature is harsh but if you're a keeper trying to keep their wild bird stock going and trying to stop ground nesting birds being eaten then you can't afford to give foxes a second thought. I've been on plenty of fox drives at this time of year and never hesitated on shooting them. If I had I'd not have been asked back because to our keeper the only good fox is a dead one!

I'd agree its better to sort out the cubs with terriers if possible but its not always possible.