moderators ?

ppuk

i currently own a T8 on my .223 and a Predator 8 Compact on my 6.5x55 - i've shot with Dunkield's Ase Utra Jet-Z CQB on his .223 and that would be my choice to replace on the .223

I'd stick with the Pred 8 Compact on bigger stuff though

Been right through this one over the last few months, got one to get for my new hornet and also one to replace the t8 on my .243 which i find makes things too front heavy. Third eye tactical look good as do the new range of MAE prev PES from JMS arms, i am about to go MAE for the Hornet i think and either the Third eye tactical or the T12 scout for the .243. Was considering a Lawrence presision titanium mod on the .243 but didn't like the guy much on phone and i doubt they will last much longer than a stainless moddy for being double the price and the weight aint so light either. Moddies are changing all the time now i should just be aware that Gas errosion is becoming very much the issue with ali ones- if we will still see them in the future who knows?

Balance, durability and sound attuation are the most important features to myself possibly in that order. Weight? is relitive to the gun IMO. A T8 isn't out of place on a heavy varmint rifle but just isn't the thing on a lightweight mountain rifle etc.

Incidently i have recently started storing moderators in a sepparate safe as residues left inside cant be good for the guns and only my .22 lr is stored with one fitted as i often need it quickly

I have P8s for both my .223 and .243, standard mod not the compact. Heavy unit though and I found when shooting the synthetic stocked .243 the extra weight made the barrel rest the forend due to the forend flexing. Great mod on the .223 though. As with Kent, I also keep them in a seperate safe.

Been right through this one over the last few months, got one to get for my new hornet and also one to replace the t8 on my .243 which i find makes things too front heavy. Third eye tactical look good as do the new range of MAE prev PES from JMS arms, i am about to go MAE for the Hornet i think and either the Third eye tactical or the T12 scout for the .243. Was considering a Lawrence presision titanium mod on the .243 but didn't like the guy much on phone and i doubt they will last much longer than a stainless moddy for being double the price and the weight aint so light either. Moddies are changing all the time now i should just be aware that Gas errosion is becoming very much the issue with ali ones- if we will still see them in the future who knows?

Balance, durability and sound attuation are the most important features to myself possibly in that order. Weight? is relitive to the gun IMO. A T8 isn't out of place on a heavy varmint rifle but just isn't the thing on a lightweight mountain rifle etc.

Incidently i have recently started storing moderators in a sepparate safe as residues left inside cant be good for the guns and only my .22 lr is stored with one fitted as i often need it quickly

They are not good for the gun and like many I have suffered in the past, a mod dropped crud on the crown and, well, it wasn't a pretty sight requiring a recrown, fortunalely the bore was fine........anyway.....

My P8 COMPACTS get cleaned after every outing (even I accept that may be a bit anal) and then the mods are stored ON the rifles muzzle DOWN in their slips in the Cabinet! No problems now! :good:

They are not good for the gun and like many I have suffered in the past, a mod dropped crud on the crown and, well, it wasn't a pretty sight requiring a recrown, fortunalely the bore was fine........anyway.....

My P8 COMPACTS get cleaned after every outing (even I accept that may be a bit anal) and then the mods are stored ON the rifles muzzle DOWN in their slips in the Cabinet! No problems now! :good:

never would i store a gun in a slip, any moisture or corrosive gasses are hence locked in. Soring a gun muzzle down might mean the crud falls down but any airbourne particles can still create corrosion surely? Mind you lifes too short for constantly cleaning moderators ;)

The CMM4 is only 220g and works well but being aluminium isn't going to last forever although the baffles can be replaced. Great for a foxing rifle but not for range use.

You do know that Jacksons will replace your old T4 with a new one for 60% of the new price? - see their warranty on website. The T4 is 550g vs the CMM4 at 220g!!! The P8/T8 are heavy in comparision but I don't doubt they are probably more effective and have a longer life.

never would i store a gun in a slip, any moisture or corrosive gasses are hence locked in. Soring a gun muzzle down might mean the crud falls down but any airbourne particles can still create corrosion surely? Mind you lifes too short for constantly cleaning moderators ;)

The guns are always clean and dry and have reached ambient temperature, there is NEVER an issue storing them in their slip as long as you do it right, on top of which there is next to no chance of causing any damage to the gun taking it in and out of the cabinet.

Put away a dirty wet cold gun in a warm cabinet and you will have a problem, slip or no slip!

:yes::good: