Poults

update on my first lot to wood

half have hexie (i ******* told the boss man to get more jollop for them but noooooo!!) half have **** of on a wee wander about the estate thanks to the head mans god getting in the pen so all good realy

what's hexie?

Hexamita, not good :oops: goes through the pen like wildfire!

yes not good , we lost over 3000 partridge last year that came with the disease. we tried to medicate but due to the rain and puddles it was impossible.

The ones we put down yesterday are all doing well only lost 70 to a fox but he was shot this morning with one in his mouth.

Hexamita's Never good! Seemed to be everywhere last year especially in partridges. So far this year we have had no reports of hexamita in poults on the farm or in release pens. Although i think when people start taking partridges we may see higher infections i think the weather is a big factor!

Hexamita's Never good! Seemed to be everywhere last year especially in partridges. So far this year we have had no reports of hexamita in poults on the farm or in release pens. Although i think when people start taking partridges we may see higher infections i think the weather is a big factor!

we always get a run of coxie in the partriges, one pen we have (the one in question) gets hexie every year with out fail.

infact to be honest all our ground is stale and we get rota then coxie then maybe hexie then coxie again just before they go out :blink: the poor bloody things are never off medication.

we have used 13 tubs of vets, 4 tubs of tetsol

11 bottles of baycox. and we have some new jollop in their now amprol?

bring back emtrole

ime running out lol

Partridges seem to be a bit of a nightmare when it comes to disease, I know of at least one big shoot that has gone from rearing their own frenchies to buying in poults, let someone else have the stress off picking up a feed bag of dead every morning.

Maybe if we get a good prologed dry spell matters will improve.

• 1 month later...

In the States, most birds are released as adults. This is generally done by commercial hunting preserves, so the economic/hunter satisfaction payoff is obvious.

Here's my question, what kind of survival rates do you get when releasing 6-8 week poults?

Thanks,

Bluestem

Edited by Bluestem

In the States, most birds are released as adults. This is generally done by commercial hunting preserves, so the economic/hunter satisfaction payoff is obvious.

Here's my question, what kind of survival rates do you get when releasing 6-8 week poults?

Thanks,

Bluestem

we put down 14,000 pheasant 3000 partridge and 4000 duck and get

68% 5year av on pheasants

80% on duck

and 40% oh the red legs

so not too bad some get better some worse some alot worse!!

we are realy realy hard on vernim hear thou, ym ex went to montana for a working holiday thingy and said they relise birds about 4 hourse befor they shoot them :blink: any longer and they get cleaned up by toothy critters.

Very interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

Most state game agencies parrot the 4-hour lifespan and stress habitat development. I suspect they are at least a little motivated to preserve their budgets for salaries....

Thanks again,

Bluestem

four hours :blink: :blink: :blink: never, it cant be that bad shurely! they last longer on a walked up day with italians :lol: and thats saying some thing!

ime not shure how i would feel about shooting game thats only been out the pen for a few hours,

but i supose thats why every country wants a british game keeper we ARE the best :good:

I can see this from both sides - on one hand the "life" the birds get to live is better in the open, but the mortality figures are shocking to me.

On the other hand they get no life so being in the open and facing the "real world" and the deaths that go with it is "natural".

Interesting. Or is that just my sad little mind that thinks so :oops:

I think the agencies have ulterior motives for not wanting to stock birds, but we do have a lot of vermin to contend with. Coyotes, foxes and bobcats are formidible predators.

When I guide on preserves, it's very common to roust a few pheasant even if there have only been chukars stocked for that day's event. In some cases, there will be a couple of weeks between hunts.

After reading the sucess you have with poults, I'm wondering what our bird numbers would be like if the agencies were actually run by real gamekeepers considering our birds are the strict result of wild recruitment.

Bluestem

I think the agencies have ulterior motives for not wanting to stock birds, but we do have a lot of vermin to contend with. Coyotes, foxes and bobcats are formidible predators.

When I guide on preserves, it's very common to roust a few pheasant even if there have only been chukars stocked for that day's event. In some cases, there will be a couple of weeks between hunts.

After reading the sucess you have with poults, I'm wondering what our bird numbers would be like if the agencies were actually run by real gamekeepers considering our birds are the strict result of wild recruitment.

Bluestem

almost every driven shoot over seas i have heard of have english keepers i dont know why but they do, a massiv percent of keepering is vermin controle,kill every thing that will kill/disturb game. from rats (a verry big preditor of game) to the bigger critters. the pther half is feeding, lots and lots and lots of feed we have a feed hopper every 100m in EVERY direction! over 300 feeders plus sreading wheat on the roads and lanes! just think of keeping 13,000+ birds in to 400achr of land and getting them to stay thier.

well if your boys want a keeper on trial for a season,ile be free to move just now!

Thanks for the snapshot of what it takes to effectively keep game. It makes a lot of sense. Over here, folks plant a few foodplots (millet, sunflower etc) and wonder why there aren't more birds. What you are saying confirms my suspicion, vermin control is the key.

If I find a preserve looking for a manager, I'll point them your way HS. :good:

Bluestem