Finaly post before purchase, help me get it right :-)

born_2_kill

As I'm just starting out I dont want to spend my money on something that isnt very highly regarded in the shooting world, which is where u guys come in.

So after hours of searching Ive narrowed it down to these:-

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/110413211006001

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/101105110041014

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/101219115404001

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/110407094136171

So to recap:

Miroku sxs - Nice clean looking like new, come out the same factory as browing (cant be a bad thing)?

Beretta sxs - The more expensive and probably the the worse condition out of all the above but probably the best name?

AYA 25 - Looks so boring but a highly regarded none english gun

Winchester - Do americans make guns like they do cars?

I no what your going to say next, whatever fits you, well they all do with a little adjustment here and there.

Edited by born_2_kill

For me, the AYA. Couple of things to note and please don't jump on me as I have no idea what you know about that gun. Check the chokes, are they close to what you want. All is probably well, but check the chamber lengths. The gun is about 35 years old (45 years old is pictured at the very bottom of this page unless it trips over, on the thread headed, "what side by side" I think) and round about then open chokes were in vogue for game and 21/2" chambers were still quite common.

Looks in good nick with all the pins in line and no graunching in evidence if not a little plain as regards the wood (new stock?) To be honest, you could haggle a bit. With nowt to trade, that money would have got you one similar to the one pictured - I'll leave you to work out which one it is!

Good luck whatever you decide.

Edit: PS Bored so had a shufti.

You weren't really serious about the Winchester, were you? The Miroku is a bit short in the stock and with 31/4 tons proof: Am I right in thinking that for 23/4 chambers the old magnum proof working pressure was 31/2 and again if I remember correctly, that's what AyA usually were.

The Beretta has 21/2" chambers which restricts you on ammo choice unless that's not problem for you in which case it's a lot of weight to carry about for no good purpose.

Edited by wymberley

The Miroku is a bit short in the stock and with 31/4 tons proof: Am I right in thinking that for 23/4 chambers the old magnum proof working pressure was 31/2 and again if I remember correctly, that's what AyA usually were.

Can any one help confirm this?

Thanks for your reply btw

Why do you want to buy a gun with fixed chokes when there are thousands with multi choke?

What are you going to use it for

Why buy from a e-commerce site when you can go to a gun shop and feel the gun see if it fits and ask about it from hopefully a knowledgeable shop owner

Can any one help confirm this?

Thanks for your reply btw

Apologise profusely for my indecision, put it down to age and loss of brain cells. You can have no idea how much I regret chucking away a couple of old Eley diaries that had all this info'. Eley still do a 11/2oz load (the old 23/4" magnum but the necessary proof requirement is not on their web-site), so perhaps the info is still in the diary if anyone has one. 900kg/sqcm is also ringing a bell although this is usually associated with 31/4 tons but it may be that as there's no direct equivalent, it's also good for 31/2.

Edited by wymberley

Unless you are short avoid the AYA 25, nice gun yes but it handles VERY fast onto the target and just as fast back off it. Very light weight so max payload would be 28gr of shot. Not really a novice gun. Of the others the Miroku looks very well looked after, they always shoot well and have good dealer support, the Beretta has a top cross bolt locking the barrels, not everyones favourite but they are decent guns. Winchester may be a bit beefy, fore end is fat and wide, love it or hate it. not been made for some years so parts may become harder to obtain.

I would personally look more closely at the Miroku and the Beretta. If I had to choose one without trying or seeing them I would go Miroku purely on condition.

A

Give Steve Beaty a ring, he is a genuine bloke with a wealth of knowledge, you can try any of his guns on his own layout.

Tell him what you want and you will get helpful advice, not just a sales patter.

If you can't get through to his phone numbers, drop him an Email, he does check them throughout the day.

I personally think the Miroku is the one to go for, but it is really down to fitment of the gun.

Good luck with whatever you choose and do let us know what you go for.

seems most are not in favour of the winchester ,but the winchester 23 was / is a cult gun which is alledged to have superb handling and unlike almost all others has a raised rib much the same as a over and under which is suppose to give a better sight picture,all the ones you have picked are decent guns, though the miroku for my liking would be choked a little tight,if you want something for general shooting 1/4 and 1/2 chokes would be ample

to be honest you are just going to get a shed load of different answers asking these sorts of questions on a forum,so you will perhaps end up even more confused ,my advice is choose which ever you prefer personally .