Trouble bagging pigeons

COLINSRI

I am using a .177 10lb rifle but can't seem to kill any pigeons with it. I hit them and they fly away. I am shooting from about 30 yards.

Not sure what i am doing wrong?

I would assume a head or chest shot from 30 yarsd would stop a pigeon. I don't like to think i'm maiming them, but i suppose i must be. I have shot at least 30 of them in the last two days but all fly away leaving a dusting of feathers in their breeze.

I have checked that the rifle is zero'd and the power is there as i just shot through my pellet tin lid from 15 yards.

Also what is the maximum range for shooting pigeons with a .177?

Edited by COLINSRI

I have shot at least 30 of them in the last two days .

are you sure, 30 pigeons in 2 days with a airgun is very good going wounded or not. plus 10ftb is not a lot of clout to knock over a pigeon,unless you are spot on accuracy wise, which by the sound of it your not. leave the live stuff untill you learn to shoot a bit better. good lad for asking though.

I am using a umarex gasram 8 shot airmagnum.

I am shooting them from my back garden which has many trees including 3 oak trees which are usually full of pigeons.

My old gun was a 2.2 spring rifle and i had trouble with that also, although it had a junk jap scope. My new scope is a bsa scope and is miles better.

I suppose i should try to get closer to them but that would mean getting of my patio chair which I really don't want to do if i don't have to......... *****.

Perhaps they are flying away and dieing in neighbours gardens....I don't know. I would assume if I hit them in the head from 30 yards that they should be falling out of the tree?

Just remember when you aim UP into trees etc your POI will change due to gravity being stronger on the projectile

ALTHOUGH when aiming more or less VERTICAL your shots will need to be made (remembering the distance between the scope centre and the centre of your barrel) as gravity becomes irrelevant ahile shootin vertical BUT you must give scope centre to barrel centre allowance.

More time practising is called for before you try nailing Pigeons

Also may i point out Co2 guns power fluctuates depending on Heat so no 2 days will be the same for power

If your shooting in the garden the odds are the gun is warm (Co2 warm) because it's been in the nice warm house and you get higher power shots BUT when you go out hunting and the gun gets COLD then power decreases and it COULD be enough to cause injury rather than a humane dispatch.

Also Co2 needs time to regain it's power after a few shots and repeated shooting can decrease a 10FPE rifle to nearer 5FPE if you don't give sufficient time for the liquid Co2 to vaporise in the bulb

LG

Edited by Lord Geordie

is your scope zeroed properly i think afew more target before u get nailing them pigeons i would get a new gun aswell!

steve :(

My scope is zero'd. I have done two tins of plinking targets before shooting at birds.

The airmagnum was rated as a very good hunting rifle by airgunner magazine. I think the rifle is well up to the job. I am hitting the birds but they fly away, they seem to fly away very fast and out of eye site.

Thanks for all advice. I'm still confused but have a new atrget....squirels.....they seem to come out at this time (7pm).

Also Co2 needs time to regain it's power after a few shots and repeated shooting can decrease a 10FPE rifle to nearer 5FPE if you don't give sufficient time for the liquid Co2 to vaporise in the bulb

LG

Well i did not know that. It could well be my problem as i am shooting tins whilst waiting for pigeons.

Thanks for some very good advice LG.

If you can't down the pigeon you will not down the squirell!

Welcome aboard and all that but please leave the live stuff alone until you can hit them right!

Is the fact that the birds are in the trees the problem? You might be hitting a twig as the pellet loops onto the target. Just a thought.

Just because you see feathers doesn`t mean you hit the target,Woodpigeon are a tough and loose feathered bird.

I think that you should also be careful where you shoot,remember that if a pellet lands outwith your property you could be in trouble even if it doesn`t cause damage.

As LG said aiming up trees makes your zero change. At +45 degrees your pellet impact point can be up to 2 inches higher than your zero over level ground. Stick some targets up some trees and plink away at them.

SS

Edited by stupidsalmon

Is the fact that the birds are in the trees the problem? You might be hitting a twig as the pellet loops onto the target. Just a thought.

Not sure why people think i am winding them up. I am trying to shoot pigeons who not only **** on my car and house but also have very nearly smashed my patio windows several times.

I have defo hit some of them because feathers are floating down as the bird flys off. Also my scope is good enough to hit them however i am not sure if i have managed a head shot just lots of chest shots.

So far i have missed circa ten shots on squirel.

I am going out for another go.

Just because you see feathers doesn`t mean you hit the target,Woodpigeon are a tough and loose feathered bird.

I think that you should also be careful where you shoot,remember that if a pellet lands outwith your property you could be in trouble even if it doesn`t cause damage.

if he is hitting them they could be bum shots as that would make sence

Not sure why people think i am winding them up. I am trying to shoot pigeons who not only **** on my car and house but also have very nearly smashed my patio windows several times.

i am not sure if i have managed a head shot just lots of chest shots.

So far i have missed circa ten shots on squirel.

I am going out for another go.

Is colinsri an anagram.

This post IS A W-UP for sure. :(

THE PELT MAN

one quick question:

how big is your garden? and how close are your nearest neighbours? (ok so maybe two quick questions)

as for the rifle, i have only ever come across one Co2 rifle that is good for hunting and thats the little crossman ratcatcher good for rats out to 25 yards.

seriously do yourself and our sport a favour and give up on the live quarry, you seem to know exactly what power your rifle is doing? how do you know? is it what you have been told it was doing? if so you can safely deduct about 2f/lbs from that so that would mean your rifle is doing around 8flbs.

it is also very hard to guestimate the distance a target is away, i have seen many people at the club and when asked what distance they think the back stop is come out with variouse answers from 15meters to 45 yards and most are pretty shocked when they get told its only 25 yards.

ROB :(

I have a 3 FPE rifle that goes through bean tins at 10 yards how do i know??

I chrono'd it.

Chrono's aren't that expensive i paid about £30 for mine used and it has been a god sent on more than one occasion

Keep your eyes out on the sales thread on this forum and the BBS and even Ebay or better still i think they are only £15 more new

Anything shooting below 10FPE i tend to leave at home

JMHO

LG

To quote the pelt man

"Is colinsri an anagram."

Yes mate for "I have no respect for anything including you lot on here, I have obtained a rifle and know nothing about hunting B4 trying to use it, as the saying goes "shoot first ask questions later"

No more to say

Slipster

Chest shots are no good with an airgun at pigeons. Only neck and preferably head shots should be taken,

SS

Or you can also shoot them in the back. That will bring them down.

But as LG says, you may well not be getting the full 10 ft/lbs from your CO2 gun.

You'd be better off using your springer.

And remember - at a 45 degree angle, your pellet drop is exactly half-way between maximum (horizontal) and zero (vertical).

Rgds,

the Lizard