Which Tablet? Ipad, BlackBerry or?

V8landy

Hi

Ipad is the one that springs to mind, but are other better?

I want it for web browsing, email, photo viewing, also would like to use MS word and Excel (or compatable) programs on it.

Also are they cheaper in the USA? I have had a look on usa amazon site and the prices look the same as UK.

Thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont even entertain the Playbook. Tried one out a few weeks back and it's tosh. You'll need to pair it with your BBerry to get mail on it and once disconnected it won't stay on it. There will also be very limited apps for it given RIM's closed book approach to controlling what they'll allow to run on their code.

I had a play with the IPAD2 the other week and was very taken with it.

Dont think I would go for the 3g one, as wifi will be easily picked up (home and work)

I am possibly off to the USA with work in a few weeks time so might be a good time to get one?

If you want it for internet browsing the lack of flash will drive you mad with an Ipad. I have an original Ipad and love it in theory, but in practise the web browsing is severely compromised because it doesn't and won't support flash. Same with the Ipad 2. I have no idea whether the Samsung one is any good, but I'd definitely be looking elsewhere if I were buying again.

Peerrrrlleeaasseee

Don't give me all that tosh about Flash. Flash is dead. It drains battery so so fast.

So, how to put this simply: there's a reason why Apple currently have a 95% Market share on the tablets. They're shifting 12 million iPads a quarter. The playbook managed 100k sales in their first month and RIM are seriously in trouble after thinking they could beat the iPad. Redundancies galore and some big names in the company under fire.

RIM have no idea what they're making. A 'Playbook' ?!? They're a company which create business tools, not gaming machines. Oh but they failed to get the messaging bit right, as you can't even get emails on the playbook, unless you tether it to a blackberry - ouch.

Get an iPad and you'll never look back. Jailbreak it and you'll think you've stolen it. ;)

Edited by Billy.

Peerrrrlleeaasseee

Don't give me all that tosh about Flash. Flash is dead. It drains battery so so fast.

So, how to put this simply: there's a reason why Apple currently have a 95% Market share on the tablets. They're shifting 12 million iPads a quarter. The playbook managed 100k sales in their first month and RIM are seriously in trouble after thinking they could beat the iPad. Redundancies galore and some big names in the company under fire.

RIM have no idea what they're making. A 'Playbook' ?!? They're a company which create business tools, not gaming machines. Oh but they failed to get the messaging bit right, as you can't even get emails on the playbook, unless you tether it to a blackberry - ouch.

Get an iPad and you'll never look back. Jailbreak it and you'll think you've stolen it. ;)

Billy have you tried printing from an iPad

I have 3 printers in the house 2 of them wireless and none work with my iPad 2

The techies might say that flash is finished but tell that to the web sites using flash now with no intention of changing.

I'd probably look at something other than iPad now

Sent from my iPad 2 64 3G

Phil

Billy have you tried printing from an iPad

I have 3 printers in the house 2 of them wireless and none work with my iPad 2

The techies might say that flash is finished but tell that to the web sites using flash now with no intention of changing.

Printing from an iPad is simple. You either use AirPrint, which is compatible with most new printers, or you hook up your printer to an AirPort Express and print to that.

Google have just released a Flash to HTML5 converter - Kind of pointing to where things are headed. Websites don't need to ditch Flash, they just need to have a mobile version which kicks in when you try to visit the site from a mobile device (PW is a perfect example of a site which does this)

If you're running a Flash site, you run your Flash SWF through Google's new converter and then upload your new HTML5 code to something like www.mobile.mywebsite.com.

Flash is a pain but I believe it is becoming less of an issue as each day passes. Still don't believe that the iPad has a competitor. A laptop is not a tablet. They overlap in some areas but do not compete 1-1.

Printing from an iPad is simple. You either use AirPrint, which is compatible with most new printers, or you hook up your printer to an AirPort Express and print to that.

Google have just released a Flash to HTML5 converter - Kind of pointing to where things are headed. Websites don't need to ditch Flash, they just need to have a mobile version which kicks in when you try to visit the site from a mobile device (PW is a perfect example of a site which does this)

If you're running a Flash site, you run your Flash SWF through Google's new converter and then upload your new HTML5 code to something like www.mobile.mywebsite.com.

I thought that Airprint was only compatible with certain HP printers.

Airport express looks good except it's another £80 quid :hmm:

I thought that Airprint was only compatible with certain HP printers.

Airport express looks good except it's another £80 quid :hmm:

I picked up two AirPort Express routers and an AirPort Extreme for £150. The deals are out there.

Worth looking at AirPrint Activator for Windows - should extend the number of printers your iOS can see. (Free)

anything by apple are for sheep.

I wasn't going to rise to this, but...

iPod - Set the bar for MP3 players

iPhone - Apple caught the mobile phone industry with their pants down. The proper smartphone era begins.

iPad - Apple produced a tablet, the rest of the industry then decide to build a tablet.

exactly, if you buy apple you have to start mucking about with things that should just work from the off.

What Apple hardware do you actually own, out of interest?

Edited by Billy.

exactly, if you buy apple you have to start mucking about with things that should just work from the off.

Nooo. You buy a piece of Apple kit. Get it out of the box and it does 99% of what you want it to do without touching it. Unlike a PC.

I picked up two AirPort Express routers and an AirPort Extreme for £150. The deals are out there.

Worth looking at AirPrint Activator for Windows - should extend the number of printers your iOS can see. (Free)

I wasn't going to rise to this, but...

iPod - Set the bar for MP3 players

iPhone - Apple caught the mobile phone industry with their pants down. The proper smartphone era begins.

iPad - Apple produced a tablet, the rest of the industry then decide to build a tablet.

What Apple hardware do you actually own, out of interest?

Have to agree with Billy here... on the phone side I tried everything, have been through so many smart phones over the years starting with Nokia Communicators in the mid 90s... I've had 3 iphones now and every time it comes round to upgrade time I think... ooo.. I'll try something new, but then... reality kicks in... I've had the blackberry storms, the Orange smart phones, the Nokias etc.. and the iPhone... well... it's the only device I've ever had that just 'works' and has never let me down. It does exactly what it says on the tin, unlike most of the other players in the market that claim to deliver and then just don't. Even if the niggles are minor, they add up and become major... Apple gear... apart from the one issue with Flash which most of the time is a non issue, just doesn't have niggles IMHO..

I don't own an iPad, not in that market yet but I guarantee the situation will be the same for tablets as it is for phones...

anything by apple are for sheep. a laptop would be best if you want a tablet look at some reviews on tinternet, last i looked in a mag they rekond a cheap acer or asus was the best bang for your buck, like apple vs android.

Baaaa! :shaun::lol: I like what my iPad does, and I don't miss what it doesn't! If I want flash etc, I use my PC, if I want good battery life, fast internet and quick and dirty note taking/Word compatibility, I use the iPad. It is small enough for holidays and quick photo-editing, email, web surfing and lasts about 10 hours on a charge, compared with my old laptop, that struggled to last two hours on a new battery on high useage. If the iPad was my only internet/computing resource, then yes I take your point, it does have some limitations, but as what it was designed for - a small, mobile, easy to use unit, I think it is still the best out there. :shaun::shaun::good: