Realtree Camo net

-Mongrel-

I've ordered and received a Realtree English Oak pattern camo net...

...it turned up today, and to say I'm a little underwhelmed would be putting it mildly. It seems to be nothing more than a camo printed net curtain and unlikely to hide anything!

I was planning to use it as a low level bunny bashing hide cover with just a couple of poles, has anyone else used these, if so in conjunction with what? I just can't see it being adequate on its own?

Like Nick just said, you can use them in the summer with a heavy background.

I use one with a stealth net, I put the Stealth net up to neck height whilst seated and the the mesh net 12" higher giving me a window to see through. I have though used it on it's own in the summer and it works fine.

It definitely isn't a net you can use on its own all year round I'm afraid.

So, if I were too drape it to create a up-over-down between two bushes, and wore DPM jacket, trousers, hat and mask, at this time of year do you guys feel it would be enough?

So long as you keep still you will be fine. It's the movement that birds look for.

I've just done exactly the same, thought it was a bit feeble....

I tried it on Friday for the first time, at my mates place. As long as you have a dark background its ok, but every bit of sunlight getting through makes you visible.

I got my mate to stand behind it and I could not see him at all, and why?

Because he's black :blink: Just shows how easy us palefaces must be seen by the woodies, I will be wearing my camo veil as well from now on :lol::good:

I really don't think pigeons look for movement. They may spot it, but i don't think they are looking for any.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. What you're saying goes against anything I have read,heard and experienced since I started shooting.

Edited by Cosd

We are going to have to agree to disagree. What you're saying goes against anything I have read,heard and experienced since I started shooting.

So you're telling me that pigeons are looking to see if there's a bloke with a gun on their feeding ground?

I think all that pigeon are ever really looking for, is their pals to join up with.

So you're telling me that pigeons are looking to see if there's a bloke with a gun on their feeding ground?

I think all that pigeon are ever really looking for, is their pals to join up with.

No, I'm saying that they are looking for any movement which could mean any danger for them!

You're on a wind up wright?

No, I'm saying that they are looking for any movement which could mean any danger for them!

You're on a wind up wright?

Not at all. I believe pigeons will react to what their instincts tell them is a threat, but i don't believe they fly around and weigh up whether it is safe to land or not.

Edited by motty

Not at all. I believe pigeons will react to what their instincts tell them is a threat, but i don't believe they fly around and weigh up whether it is safe to land or not.

Like I said, we can agree to disagree....

You said in another post Motty that you think pigeons do look for movement?

I think movement in general can put pigeons off, but i don't think pigeons are put off by static gun barrels or hands, just erratic movement.

I bet if when i'm next in a hide, i hold up both my hands and wait for pigeons to come in, they will take no notice. If i start waving them about, different story - and the same goes for gun barrels.

Face veils etc are not needed, but i usually use one as i spend alot of time with my head above the hide net, looking for pigeons.

You said in another post Motty that you think pigeons do look for movement?

I think movement in general can put pigeons off, but i don't think pigeons are put off by static gun barrels or hands, just erratic movement.

I bet if when i'm next in a hide, i hold up both my hands and wait for pigeons to come in, they will take no notice. If i start waving them about, different story - and the same goes for gun barrels.

Face veils etc are not needed, but i usually use one as i spend alot of time with my head above the hide net, looking for pigeons.

NO,no,no. I'm saying that pigeons can spot a person moving in a hide, but upon entering their chosen restaurant do not actively search for it. So, when a pigeon is flying along confidently and is committing to your decoy pattern, he's not thinking, 'hang on, i didn't check for anything moving behind that bush'. He will though, react if he spots something he doesn't like.

NO,no,no. I'm saying that pigeons can spot a person moving in a hide, but upon entering their chosen restaurant do not actively search for it. So, when a pigeon is flying along confidently and is committing to your decoy pattern, he's not thinking, 'hang on, i didn't check for anything moving behind that bush'. He will though, react if he spots something he doesn't like.

so a pigeon is not actively looking for movment but will react to it if detected!? :hmm: with near 360 degree vision they are pretty well adapated from predator detection whether actively looking or not and i would say as a prey species they would be looking instinctively all the time for threats.

Gaz

Edited by stace1g

Like I said, we can agree to disagree....

It seems to me they react to anything out of the ordinary, particularly movement or bright colour, with regard to the realtreee camo' netting, I bought a 12 x 12ft Army surplus net & found it to be very effective, it's a bit more substantial than the one you describe but I still check from in front of it to make sure I'm not skylined against the background - I'm shooting an Airgun & need the birds to land so concealment is essential

Never use mine without camo net in front, total waste of money, I use it just to justify paying for the rubbish. Buy a quality net or you will just end up paying for somthing decent to hang in front of it.If you dont wear the realtree clobber you might as well be wearing a pink jump suit.

Dave