Bank Fraud

ME

My business account was the subject of fraud this week. Luckily Mrs ME does our business accounts and she flagged up the fraud to the Bank Manager before my business account was relieved of two very large amounts.

The bank has investigated and it stemmed from a cheque that we issued to Korea being intercepted. From there the fraudster used the information on it to call my bank and change my telephone banking passwords and order two CHAPs payments. The bank manager confirmed the forged signature that they used on the CHAPs forms was very close to mine too. :look: LUCKILY when the telephone banking details were changed, the bank issued a letter and Mrs ME questioned it with the bank.(I don't use telephone banking)

Obviously we caught this in time, but it was a shocking revelation. I can't begin to imagine how tricky it would have been to get the money back from the bank if the fraudster had been successful. We have now put extra security in place and will not be paying any suppliers by cheque in the future.

Let this serve as a warning and reminder to everyone to be careful with your personal and business account information. If you get any letters from the bank saying that passwords or user names for any services have been changed then speak to your bank. (even if you don't use the service that the letter was about)

Edited by ME

I'd be suspicious of whoever you paid the cheque to, intercepting a cheque is hellishly difficult. Funnily enough I received an e-mail from my bank today saying we will be able to make online international payments shortly which would be far easier for you than cheques.

Some people actually join Royal Mail for the sole purpose of stealing mail from the sorting offices. Anyone who wishes to dispute that is clearly not in possession of any facts at all.

Some of them join using their own identity, whilst many chose an alias. Royal Mail do not appear to be on top of this problem.

Cheques, credit cards, birthday cards - all fair game for the night shift. I seem to recall that a number of banks by-passed Royal Mail for a secure delivery in London.

Some people actually join Royal Mail for the sole purpose of stealing mail from the sorting offices. Anyone who wishes to dispute that is clearly not in possession of any facts at all.

Some of them join using their own identity, whilst many chose an alias. Royal Mail do not appear to be on top of this problem.

Cheques, credit cards, birthday cards - all fair game for the night shift. I seem to recall that a number of banks by-passed Royal Mail for a secure delivery in London.

I dispute that. :rolleyes:

I am not having a pop at Royal Mail employees en bloc. Many are hardworking, honest people - salt of the earth.

However, some people join to steal - end of chat. They spend their time looking for credit cards, money in birthday cards, cheque books, cheques. That is not a question of opinion. Sadly, I have had to deal with a fair number of them.

Can Royal Mail - hand on heart - say they know the true identity of all their employees? They don't - haven't a clue.

My son believes a postman can feel the 10 micron difference in thickness when a tenner is in a birthday card. Me I'm a bit more down to earth, the scroats are shoving greeting card type envelopes through the xray machine maybe on nights, maybe all the time.

They'll see the metal strip???

Edit.....afterthought

Edited by Sha Bu Le

Always bad apples wherever you go, even in the police I'm sure. I have had two notable pieces of post 'go missing' over the years both of which clearly contained something interesting. One was a driving licence from the DVLA (which was then used to open an illegal bank account into which stolen company cheques were paid, the guy got caught but as far as I am aware got let off scott free which has always amazed me.

I think it's a question of luck, like getting burgled really. I know you can take precautions but there is only so much you can do.

This is what I was thinking, what's hard about opening an envelope Alex? even business mail eg DHL is taken from time to time...

Regards,

Gixer

its a case of how much mail do you have to open before finding a cheque, in this case as a supplier they would have a fair bit of information about your company to give clues as to how best to hack the account

i had £275 taken out of my bank account my mrs went to pay the bills and she noticed money hadd gone so i rang the bank.they told me it was going to some foreign country (cant remembe where.they said when i drew £10 out at asda cahpoint at 8.01pm they took the money in the same minute as i drew mine out.the bank got it back because it hadn,t gone into the other bank account,there is a lot of people round here getting ripped off so be careful of cashpoints.

but how did they access the telephone banking with just the bank details???

They called up pretended to be me and said that they had lost their login details. Part of the security questions asked by the bank was to name a recent transaction - i.e. the cheque that was intercepted.

They called up pretended to be me and said that they had lost their login details. Part of the security questions asked by the bank was to name a recent transaction - i.e. the cheque that was intercepted.

but it wouldn't be a recent transaction if the cheque hadn't been cashed it wouldn't show on the account

The bank have confirmed that the same Nigerian gang have tried to access the account again today. The Police are involved and all telephone banking is stopped against our bank accounts.