7 1/2 shot on pigeons

I don't do clays, I did some while back buy 250 lyalvale 28grm 7.5's for that purpose but my intentions to get on the clays fell flat. I just happened to take a box one day while decoying pigeon and found they worked very well. I tend to have a mix of cart's in the bag and always put the 7.5's in the bottom barrel and fire 6's from the top (2nd) barrel....if that makes sense? If they are within 35-40 yards they'll do the job, but i've absolutely no idea on their speed :good:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this tonight thought I would go out on the flight lines. Took no decoys just went for it with a box of 28g 7 1/2's and some 30g 6's. Shot all the 7 1/2 first an I could see clumps of feathers coming off but no birds where coming down. I shot one about 20 yards away with them though and it killed it stone dead. That's the only one that came down. Then I moved onto the 6's which killed everything I hit stone dead.

To conclude lol, the 7 1/2's didn't seem to bring them down although definatly hitting them.

After reading this tonight thought I would go out on the flight lines. Took no decoys just went for it with a box of 28g 7 1/2's and some 30g 6's. Shot all the 7 1/2 first an I could see clumps of feathers coming off but no birds where coming down. I shot one about 20 yards away with them though and it killed it stone dead. That's the only one that came down. Then I moved onto the 6's which killed everything I hit stone dead.

To conclude lol, the 7 1/2's didn't seem to bring them down although definatly hitting them.

try them when decoying and see what you think :good:

All I shoot are 7 1/2s BUT they are high antimony shot and tend to pattern very well. I shoot 24 gram loads at around 1250 and out to 40 yds it's lights out on OUR pigeons which I believe are a little smaller than your woodies. If all I shot were pigeons I think 6's probably would extend my yardages by 10 to 15. Some days the birds are hard to find and I must amuse myself with starlings and sparrows. I have shot pigeons a lot farther at times with 7 1/2s but do experience a higher loss rate( drop out of the sky 100yds away) than larger pellets would give me. I have studied pellet energy charts religiously but real world experience is what counts.

Throughout this summer we started off with 28g 6's then moved on to 30g 6's and are now using 32g 6.5's, all at the clients requests.

I have noticed that the birds have been getting much harder hit and some are often no good to send to the dealer and the average shot to kill ratio has gotten worse as we've moved onto heavier loads.

The guys I get that use the 28g 6's will kill 75% of shots taken and will kill out to 45 yards.

Mark.

Edited by M ROBSON

For me personally i prefer to use 30/32g of 6, but as it has been said if the ranges are sensible 7.5's will do the job but unless the cost differance is really that much of an issue why limit yourself to closer range shots, who doesn't enjoy occasionaly nailing that 45-50 yard crosser :lol:

But saying that sometimes i take my lad out with me and i put the decoys really close, starting from 5 yards from the hide out to about 20 yards, he shoots a Fabarm 26" barrelled skeet gun and the few stupid birds that come close get dropped well with 21g of 7.5 ;)

The only problem with that theory is you may have been hitting feathers instead of the pigeon inside them ;)

Has anyone got a game shooting book which gives details of the possible ranges for the use of 71/2 shot for pigeon and snipe?

Cheers

just had a look in my old basc handbook of shooting and it doesnt have anything in it range wise for 7 1/2's only thing i could find was shot sizes for different fur and feather :good:

Has anyone got a game shooting book which gives details of the possible ranges for the use of 71/2 shot for pigeon and snipe?

Cheers

Not sure how these can be taken as gospel in any case! I mean just because somebody says it takes three pellets producing X ft lbs to despatch Y it doesn`t make it so. I`ve had walkers with multiple pellets in them and dead ones that had not a single hole when plucked and none on the neck/head, at least not obviously.

Basically it`s your own life experiences, I don`t do well with 6 shot over decoys, flighting or roost shooting they are better but much prefer 7`s or at least 6.5`s. I would rather shoot 7.5`s over decoys than 6`s regardless of what a game book written 60 years ago might say.

just had a look in my old basc handbook of shooting and it doesnt have anything in it range wise for 7 1/2's only thing i could find was shot sizes for different fur and feather :good:

Lee, thanks.

Been looking for ages and damn me if just after I post I find a reference for 8s for snipe.

Just out of interest, is that BASC Handbook the "The Sporting Shotgun"?

Cheers,

Phil

Lee, thanks.

Been looking for ages and damn me if just after I post I find a reference for 8s for snipe.

Just out of interest, is that BASC Handbook the "The Sporting Shotgun"?

Cheers,

Phil

it certainly is phil, i also have the shooting handbook by john humphreys :good:

Edited by semiautolee

it certainly is phil, i also have the shooting handbook by john humphreys :good:

Lee,

OK, I don't suppose the BASC will mind after 20+ years: If you know of a young BASC member still at school or college, I have an unused (can't say new!) 1986 version which I do not need. You obviously find yours useful so so might he/she. May even be able to put my hand on a copy of the "Pocket Guide to Quarry Identification" - small version of the species in the handbook - to boot. I'll leave the possibility of a small donation to the BASC at some point in the future to his/her discretion. If you do know someone, wack out a PM with an address and I'll get it posted.

Cheers,

Phil

Lee,

OK, I don't suppose the BASC will mind after 20+ years: If you know of a young BASC member still at school or college, I have an unused (can't say new!) 1986 version which I do not need. You obviously find yours useful so so might he/she. May even be able to put my hand on a copy of the "Pocket Guide to Quarry Identification" - small version of the species in the handbook - to boot. I'll leave the possibility of a small donation to the BASC at some point in the future to his/her discretion. If you do know someone, wack out a PM with an address and I'll get it posted.

Cheers,

Phil

if i no of anyone phil i will certainly let you no, or why not put a post up someone on here may take it for there son/daughter and ask for a donation to the pw charity, my copy is 1983 :good:

For me personally i prefer to use 30/32g of 6, but as it has been said if the ranges are sensible 7.5's will do the job but unless the cost differance is really that much of an issue why limit yourself to closer range shots, who doesn't enjoy occasionaly nailing that 45-50 yard crosser :lol:

But saying that sometimes i take my lad out with me and i put the decoys really close, starting from 5 yards from the hide out to about 20 yards, he shoots a Fabarm 26" barrelled skeet gun and the few stupid birds that come close get dropped well with 21g of 7.5 ;)

I totally agree - why limit yourself? I've paced out some crows i shot stone dead with 7 and 7 1/2 to over 50 yards.

well after reading this thread and being sick of getting ripped of paying £70 for 250 shells i bought some kent velocity 28gr 7.5 fibre.I shot 16 pigeon today only missing 3 birds.All shot under 40 yards and all stone dead apart from 3 that needed despatching but id get that amount with number 6s.

The kents kick a bit but they kill well.I will never buy anything but clay carts for decoyd pigeons again.They are not an allround shell but they have their place.

7 1/2`s work at close range but are unsuitable for a second shot if you ***** the bird and it is getting away. 30-32gm of 6 or 5 shot does all you need and more as well as not filling the bird with shot so you need a separate plate to spit it out onto.

If cheapness is your only concern fill ya boots.

i was out decoying pigeon last saturday. had a mix of carts, 30g 6 and 28g 7.5 i didn't shoot very well, but 90% of what i killed was with the 7.5 each time i was a little more impresed with these old carts i'd been given years ago. as has been said, as long as your sensible and shoot the birds which are actually committing to your pattern then they will do the job. in my opinion you shouldn't be using them when you go out purely with the intention of shooting high birds on a flightline.

i have used kent velocity for a long time now

28g 7.5 and 30g 6 (depending on whats in stock!), both cartridges do the job well for me and at a kind price!

i use them for all my shooting other than wildfowling and fox's!

i think the main thing is getting a cartridge you like and sticking with it

chopping and changing all the time is likely to affect your cartridge to kill ratio more than the shot size in the cartridge

Edited by TJ91

I tend to load 7.5 (any fibre clay cart) in the bottom barrel for committed birds but i tend to use 32 gram 6's in the choke barrel for the going away or crossing birds. Don't do a massive amount of pigeon shooting and this works for me though i suspect that it may have more to do with bolstering my confidance than actual ballistic advantages.

I tend to load 7.5 (any fibre clay cart) in the bottom barrel for committed birds but i tend to use 32 gram 6's in the choke barrel for the going away or crossing birds. Don't do a massive amount of pigeon shooting and this works for me though i suspect that it may have more to do with bolstering my confidance than actual ballistic advantages.

i cant understand this, why carry two bags/boxes/belts of cartridges and faff about loading a different cartridge to each barrel when you could just take 1 that will do the job!?

not a nasty dig at you i just dont understand why!?

i suppose i dont have that problem anyway as i use a semi but if it gets busy surely you will make mistakes anyway or even miss out on shots due to not loading your gun quick enough if your minds on loading the 'right' cartridge into a certain barrel?