Pheasant shoot ?

markyboy

This year I gave up my shoot, with 10 guns at 900 quid a gun ! 9 k to cover costs!? What do you guys think?

1000 birds roughly go down! I know the price of wheat is awful but I rekon we would need about 10 tonne! Roughly 2k plus pellets for poults. The rent is roughly 1k for the ground we shoot over! Too many things don't add up! The work is not shared it's done by 2 guys who run the shoot and the duck pond is only shot by the guys that feed? So what chance has any 1 got if our help is not required? Cos I guarantee they don't miss a duck flight all season ! What are your guys fees? We roughly get 50 -60 birds! It's a great shoot but the existing members seen oblivious to what's going on around them!

APPROX 6500 + fuel batterys elect fencers vehicles/ quads/mantainance drinkers medication pen mantainance duck feed insurance admin costs (phone bill adverts etc)then you could have radios auto feeders then vermin control costs ammo lamps snares traps sleepless nights do you tip the lads who run the shoot or the beaters as you would on a commercial shoot thats all i can add to cost up to now :rolleyes: sure others can think of more :hmm:

1000 birds = £4000

2 tonne pellets = £800

10 tonne wheat = £1800

rent = £1000

Gives you £7600.

You still need to pay for barley, worming, grit, petrol (if not for vehicles, strimmers etc), posts / rails, chicken wire, nails, screws, cable ties, bottle for farmer / farm workers at Xmas, beater? I think your being unfair thinking the keeper is making a profit considering he is also doing the work, which unless you have helped isn't difficult (mentally but is physically) but eats up a lot of time.

Edited by markm

Oh and given your bag sizes your paying £16 a bird (and as the work is all done for you) it's like taking let days which on average will cost £25+ per bird, but more like £30 I would have thought. Therefore your shooting has cost you 1/2 price the going rate. I think your a little silly in leaving if you could afford it.

I may add last year it cost 450 ! This year 900 ! No guest days! It would cost me 120 to take a guest. Trouble is I want to be part of the shoot and not just turn up on the day! For me the feeding and looking after the birds which I did last year was as enjoyable as going shooting

You may want just too much then. He is doing it to make money rather than keep you in a hobby or entertained. Part of his way of making money is this.

If you enjoy looking after the animals as well, offer. If that's not possible, hard cheese. See if others want help or look after some of your own animals.

1000 birds = £4000

2 tonne pellets = £800

10 tonne wheat = £1800

rent = £1000

Gives you £7600.

You still need to pay for barley, worming, grit, petrol (if not for vehicles, strimmers etc), posts / rails, chicken wire, nails, screws, cable ties, bottle for farmer / farm workers at Xmas, beater? I think your being unfair thinking the keeper is making a profit considering he is also doing the work, which unless you have helped isn't difficult (mentally but is physically) but eats up a lot of time.

even with you bill of £3240 for birds thats still just under £7k exc the rest of the stuff as needed £120 for a guest? seems good if it's a good shoot? Could you buy a half gun if money is tight and let them sell the other half?

If you really like the "work" side then you could offer to assist more to reduce costs or to increase the number of birds and the size of the shoot allowing you to have a few more guns?

OK then

900 x £0.40 = £360 + 100 free (£360).

For that price are you paying up front for your birds? It's not like he is making a living off that much money.

If your not happy then you done the right thing. But I bet he filled the place with relative ease.

To many things didn't add up! We got 3 tubs of bird puller for free! And I was the only one who knew that! But at end of season everybody was led to belive it cost us 60 quid! Then there was straw? At 60 quid when I knew it cost them 20! Then there's the shot birds from the game dealer wasn't on our income! Nearly 100 duck off the flight pond and roughly 300 pheasants! As we shot 44% there was always stacks of birds left!

Then there's oven readies at 90 quid? That cost us, apparntly it costs that to get them oven ready to give to our neighbouring shoots and 90 for fish that we also give out ! Considering the neighbouring shoots are run by keepers on a much bigger scale I don't think they saw a oven ready or a bit of salmon!

It's my first year as a member of a shoot. I've been beating for a few year's on this shoot.

We pay £500 a year that's for 1000 pheasant's , 500 partridge , and duck's not sure how many.

We also get to shoot pigeon, corvid's, fox, and for me i shoot rat's and squidger's with the airrifle.

I could'nt beleive some lad's moaned because it went from £400 to £500 this season.

I think £500 for year round shooting is great value. :good:

Yes that is great value and wouldn't mind paying that at all! The trouble is the bigger the syndicate the less money! And bigger syndicate will mean less shooting for others unless your shoot can take 6-8 standing guns! My last shoot couldn't and normally guns 1 and 5 were not getting a shot !

900x 40???

You mean 900 x 3.60???

This was for the price difference between what I thought was the going rate (around £4.00) and what you were paying (£3.60) for the 900 birds.

Did the shoot use paid beaters for the 10 days?

Yes 3 beaters each day and every shooting gun paid 10 on the day to cover this. We made 900 quid on guest guns and on several occasions the keepers friends were shooting also to make up numbers I don't see there money on the sheet!

But it was a simple stand 1 and shoot 1 format! We weren't getting birds driven all day!

It's my first year as a member of a shoot. I've been beating for a few year's on this shoot.

We pay £500 a year that's for 1000 pheasant's , 500 partridge , and duck's not sure how many.

We also get to shoot pigeon, corvid's, fox, and for me i shoot rat's and squidger's with the airrifle.

I could'nt beleive some lad's moaned because it went from £400 to £500 this season.

I think £500 for year round shooting is great value. :good:

How many guns

Yes 3 beaters each day and every shooting gun paid 10 on the day to cover this. We made 900 quid on guest guns and on several occasions the keepers friends were shooting also to make up numbers I don't see there money on the sheet!

But it was a simple stand 1 and shoot 1 format! We weren't getting birds driven all day!

As you say your bag was 50/60 on the day .First you say you dropped out because you think it was to much to pay(and the keeper was dishonest with the syndicate) now you say you are not happy with the way the days were run, i think you are after a little backup for your decision but in general the answers your receiving are not that supportive so are you digging a deeper hole for you to get out of :/ Did you ask the keeper to explain or did you just wrap it inn If i am honest i think the keeper is well shot of you. Hope you find a better syndicate for the season .