Cocker pups, selling advice please

snipe

Hi,

after a bit of advice please from those that have gone through the process before as I am certainly new to all this. Where would you recommend advertising the pups? I would really like them to go to working homes, and, as such, have tried ukgundogs and felsteadgundogs, but that was a bit of a wasted exercise. Am I being naive by thinking they would only go to working homes? Should I open them up to the general pet market? I tried shooting times, but that was £96 a throw! But if deemed a good idea, I would be willing to try.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Snipe.

Hi again Snipe, I have to say, I think you're setting yourself a tall order trying to only home with working families. As you know, I was very interested in one of your pups. However, due to distance I opted for one of the recent Minterburn cocker pups instead. These have a great working line like yours, with Timsgarry Valtos and Maesydderwen Scimitar in the line of parents. I know not all of this litter will go to working homes, it would simply be impracticable to do that.

I think, sad as it is, it's better they go to loving homes rather than strictly working homes.

Edited by mick miller

Hi,

after a bit of advice please from those that have gone through the process before as I am certainly new to all this. Where would you recommend advertising the pups? I would really like them to go to working homes, and, as such, have tried ukgundogs and felsteadgundogs, but that was a bit of a wasted exercise. Am I being naive by thinking they would only go to working homes? Should I open them up to the general pet market? I tried shooting times, but that was £96 a throw! But if deemed a good idea, I would be willing to try.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Snipe.

if they are true working lines i think its better if you look for working homes. pet owners might see them as just like the show ones only more obediant, of course they will get a hypo little ball of energy that will scoot off with its nose down given half a chance and insufficient training :D you already have them so just get on with it forget the cost and profit imo.

Look at the agility market too - LOTS of working Cockers are winning at high level agility - they are very desirable.

As for your advertising - The KC website, especially if health tested will shift them in days - we sold all of our last litter of ESS's before they were 1 week old. Health testing really is the way forward as most buyers are now more than aware of health issues and a good litter from health tested parents sells.

There are a lot more "good" cockers about at the moment, but good dogs will always sell - something to consider, which a lot of people don't is the price being too "Low" - odd as it sounds don't price your dogs too cheaply - you will not get as much interest! Make them competitive.

As said above Champdogs is also a good place to be a member (The site not necessarily the forum)

What is the pedigree of your pups?

Mike

I don't necessarily agree with kent re the working homes, there are plenty of pet owners who are capable of training basic obedience and giving a working bred dog a long, happy and active life.

Yes, agreed they can but a while back there was an article in the field about working bred Cocker numbers rising dramatically in rescue shelters due to just such a thing. Believe me Outsiders do see gundogs as more obediant and easy to train, as such they attract the ones who can't. I totally get that taking a working bred dog and diverting it to another task is sucsessful but still think they need an alternative outlet for thier buzzing little minds and energies other than sit, stay come, play dead, shake a paw .

I don't know if there is a breed so apart than cockers when it comes to work and pet/show, i am not a great spaniel man infact i don't even like them that much but have seen enough problems with dogs that cannot satify thier breeding to realise the wisdom of your earlier advice WGD - first find the homes then breed :good:

Edited by kent

I think we're both saying the same thing kent, I agree there are a raft of people out there who think "oh what a nice cute wee dog" then end up with a demented spaniel doing the wall of death round their garden due to lack of exercise and stimulation.

I would just not rule out pet homes as a generalisation, whether the pups go to working homes or pet homes I would want to be satisfied as to the quality of life the dog will be offered. :good:

I think we're both saying the same thing kent, I agree there are a raft of people out there who think "oh what a nice cute wee dog" then end up with a demented spaniel doing the wall of death round their garden due to lack of exercise and stimulation.

I would just not rule out pet homes as a generalisation, whether the pups go to working homes or pet homes I would want to be satisfied as to the quality of life the dog will be offered. :good:

Yep particular emphisis on "stimulation", exersize might just make the wall of death faster and longer :lol:

Hi again Snipe, I have to say, I think you're setting yourself a tall order trying to only home with working families. As you know, I was very interested in one of your pups. However, due to distance I opted for one of the recent Minterburn cocker pups instead. These have a great working line like yours, with Timsgarry Valtos and Maesydderwen Scimitar in the line of parents. I know not all of this litter will go to working homes, it would simply be impracticable to do that.

I think, sad as it is, it's better they go to loving homes rather than strictly working homes.

Thanks for this MM and good to know you found a pup. Hope it turns out to be a winner for you, and good luck with it all.

uk gun dogs

set up a web page

kennel club

word of mouth

e pupz (dare i say it)

Gundog training forum

Working cocker forum

pigeon watch

etc etc etc

Thanks for this, as there are quite a few on there I didn't even know existed! I will definitely explroe some of those, so thanks for that.

Breed from a dog that people want pups from, sorry to be blunt, but there are quality litters all over the country not selling at the moment.

Good homes are most important, what is your asking price?

Hi WGD, I just dropped them from £500 to £450. The bitches flew out at £550. This seems to be a resonable price, but as someone noted in a reply above, I may now have underpriced them! :rolleyes:

Snipe's pups are definitely desirable...i would love one but the mrs has told me i cant have anotger dog unless she can have a baby!

Anthony

Real shame about that one Anthony, but thanks for not messing me around. Good luck with it all, but I think you made the right choice! :)

Look at the agility market too - LOTS of working Cockers are winning at high level agility - they are very desirable.

As for your advertising - The KC website, especially if health tested will shift them in days - we sold all of our last litter of ESS's before they were 1 week old. Health testing really is the way forward as most buyers are now more than aware of health issues and a good litter from health tested parents sells.

There are a lot more "good" cockers about at the moment, but good dogs will always sell - something to consider, which a lot of people don't is the price being too "Low" - odd as it sounds don't price your dogs too cheaply - you will not get as much interest! Make them competitive.

As said above Champdogs is also a good place to be a member (The site not necessarily the forum)

What is the pedigree of your pups?

Mike

Perfect, thanks a lot Mike. The line is Wetlands and Maesydderwen, primarily. With some Wernffrwd thrown in for good measure. 38 reds over the 5 generations.

Thanks for all your assistance gents, it is greatly appreciated.

Snipe.

i wouldn't rule out pet owners, especially if the family are active, my first gundog was bought as a pet cos i like the look of the breed GWP but soon after i learnt what they were really for, found myself a gundog group and hey presto :good: out all the time training, beating and picking up, OH got his licence and we joined a syndicate shoot.

now on my second HPR and loving every minute of it.

so not always a bad choice to home as pet,

jan

Where is your advert & pedigree ? i know a lad looking at moment tough he wants a light coloured cocker only. (Lemon,gold etc)

Hi butcherboy,

sorry, all dogs have now been sold, largely after following the advuce from the posts above, so thanks to them. If it's any consolation, there were no light dogs left. Thanks for your interest though and thanks for showing willing to spread the word.

Snipe.

Where are you based Snipe? I've been weighing up whether to get myself a new dog

Sorry Wesman, they're all gone now.

i wouldn't rule out pet owners, especially if the family are active, my first gundog was bought as a pet cos i like the look of the breed GWP but soon after i learnt what they were really for, found myself a gundog group and hey presto :good: out all the time training, beating and picking up, OH got his licence and we joined a syndicate shoot.

jan

Thanks Jan. As it happens the final dog did actually go to a non-working home. Not my first choice to be honest, but they live on a big farm etc etc. so it will get a good life for sure. Also, they are friendly with shooting families, so perhaps they will get persuaded one day, who knows.

Thanks again for the advice.

Snipe.

jan

IF you work yours it is no longer just a pet. If there is one breed that needs a job above all others its a GWP at least you recognised that. :good: Full on bred working dogs make poor pets

Hi Snipe, I'm glad you got them all good homes, cracking, handsome dogs for sure. Well done Sir.

Thanks MM. They all went to good homes. The ones that showed the best promise (as difficult as that is to predict at this early age) are going to working and even trialing homes, so I am very pleased about that, including one to a forum member, who will hopefully keep me/us posted on his development. 2 went to non-working homes, but both lived on small holdings and would certainly give them a good life, which is all I can ask for really.

Snipe.