A Bunch of Questions

Mungler

I wish to drink from the fountain of knowledge that is the PW forum:

1. what is a good cheap and cheerful clay cartridge (emphasis on cheap). I have the pigeon cartridge sorted - RC 2.75" 32 grams No. 6 and tend to use these more spareingly.

2. where is the cheapest place to buy cartridges (and if outside Essex do they do mail order?)

3. is there any limit on the number of cartridges you can posses. I shoot in a group of about 4 and the proposition is to buy say 5,000 or 10,000 if the price breaks are there. Also, I am not that keen on buying 5,000 ****e cartridges or 5,000 really expensive cartridges.

4. I pushed the first 200 cartridges through my new AL391 today.... fantastic. I am out this Saturday and was planning on cleaning it on Sunday. Can it wait? What is / are the recommended cleaning cycles - now I know that some of you bath yours everyday and sleep with them, but was is a reasonable cleaning program?

Cheers all.

Mung

Good news is I get 1000 Rotweil 28g number 7s for clay for £90 B)

BAD news is he don't do mail order :good:

LG

hope you dont intend using them a thimbleby? 7 1/2 and up only

cheers KW

i shouldnt bother cleaning it, the beretta semi's arnt particually sensitive to dirt in my experiance, they basically work all the time not matter what. They are also chrome bored so the barrels shouldnt rot.

i havent cleaned my lanber o/u in over 8months now (basically since i had it) it gets shot every weekend and as yet hasnt put a foot wrong.

Ref No`s of cartridges,the law says you may only posess a certain weight of explosive,but this is approx.5000 cartridges and if the boys in blue can tell by looking then they are better than I.

I order 6000+ at a time for me and my shooting buddy so it would be no prob for 5000 split 4-5 ways,personally for pigeon carts I now never buy less than 1000,and have in the neighbourhood of 3500 at the mo,and thats just loaded carts and doesn`t cover powder and rifle bullets.....................hope we don`t have a fire :good: If we do I`m sure you`ll ALL hear it B) :good::good:

Ref No`s of cartridges,the law says you may only posess a certain weight of explosive,but this is approx.5000 cartridges and if the boys in blue can tell by looking then they are better than I.

I order 6000+ at a time for me and my shooting buddy so it would be no prob for 5000 split 4-5 ways,personally for pigeon carts I now never buy less than 1000,and have in the neighbourhood of 3500 at the mo,and thats just loaded carts and doesn`t cover powder and rifle bullets.....................hope we don`t have a fire :) If we do I`m sure you`ll ALL hear it :good::good::good:

A little off topic mild rant.

Flipping hell!LOL. Was chatting to my local gun dealer, he said he doesnt order anymore than 6000 at any one time, thats for everything shotguns, rifles, handguns and anything else I may have left out :D . It's **** over here in that respect, I can only legally hold 100 carts for my shotgun (not yet into clays but I can certainly see the addictive qualities of it). Though I think there are special licences for pro target shooters and the like that allow for greater numbers.

John

100 Cartridges for your shotgun. You're joking. Maybe they all know that you have plenty buried in the back garden B)

Back on topic:

1. I have just cleaned the semi to make sure I can take it apart and put it back together. I did notice that there appeared to be a mark on the inside of the barrel that wouldn't shift - it looks like a semi circular gauge round half the barrel that follows a weld line on the outside of the barrel. Will see if it scrubs off on Sunday or will see if the dealer knows what it's all about when I take it in for its first 1000 cartridges service.

2. any answers on a cheap and cheerful cartridges?

Cheers all.

I order 6000+ at a time for me and my shooting buddy so it would be no prob for 5000 split 4-5 ways,personally for pigeon carts I now never buy less than 1000,and have in the neighbourhood of 3500 at the mo,and thats just loaded carts and doesn`t cover powder and rifle bullets.....................hope we don`t have a fire :) If we do I`m sure you`ll ALL hear it :good::good::good:

Flipping hell!LOL. Was chatting to my local gun dealer, he said he doesnt order anymore than 6000 at any one time, thats for everything shotguns, rifles, handguns and anything else I may have left out :D . It's **** over here in that respect, I can only legally hold 100 carts for my shotgun (not yet into clays but I can certainly see the addictive qualities of it). Though I think there are special licences for pro target shooters and the like that allow for greater numbers.

John

100 Cartridges for your shotgun. You're joking. Maybe they all know that you have plenty buried in the back garden B)

Back on topic:

1. I have just cleaned the semi to make sure I can take it apart and put it back together. I did notice that there appeared to be a mark on the inside of the barrel that wouldn't shift - it looks like a semi circular gauge round half the barrel that follows a weld line on the outside of the barrel. Will see if it scrubs off on Sunday or will see if the dealer knows what it's all about when I take it in for its first 1000 cartridges service.

2. any answers on a cheap and cheerful cartridges?

Cheers all.

is it at the bottom of the barrel?

there is a hole in the barrel i believe for the gas to go which opperates the mechanism, but might be wrong.

dont worry mungler, i nearly wore a bronze brush down to shaving trying to get rid of that in my first auto.

oh i felt silly :ermm::blush:

cartridge wise, i cant fault gamebore blue diamonds, and clear winners. both seem to break well and are easy on the shoulder. express D&J's are pretty good as well :good:

I wish to drink from the fountain of knowledge that is the PW forum:

1. what is a good cheap and cheerful clay cartridge (emphasis on cheap). I have the pigeon cartridge sorted - RC 2.75" 32 grams No. 6 and tend to use these more spareingly.

2. where is the cheapest place to buy cartridges (and if outside Essex do they do mail order?)

3. is there any limit on the number of cartridges you can posses. I shoot in a group of about 4 and the proposition is to buy say 5,000 or 10,000 if the price breaks are there. Also, I am not that keen on buying 5,000 ****e cartridges or 5,000 really expensive cartridges.

4. I pushed the first 200 cartridges through my new AL391 today.... fantastic. I am out this Saturday and was planning on cleaning it on Sunday. Can it wait? What is / are the recommended cleaning cycles - now I know that some of you bath yours everyday and sleep with them, but was is a reasonable cleaning program?

Cheers all.

Mung

Mungler, you could try www,justcartridges.com, if you do 10,00 they deliver free and their prices are good. MY mates and I usually have a trip to Litts of Newport and stock up on non-toxic, game and clay stuff and they still give amazing prices, even on mixed lots :blush:

I have tried patterning all sorts of stuff through my Beretta silver pigeon and if you use 28g x 8's, the pellet density is such that it is a job to find a hole in the pattern of anything that I can buy even the saga felt wads at £95.00 / 1000 work well.

Regards, flytie

Mungler,

Have you tried Essex Gun at Romford, they don't seem that badly priced for cartridges. I use Essex Shooting Supplies at Easthorpe nr Colchester. I tend to stick to Express cartridges, they are reasonably priced, fast and clean. The last ones I bougfht where Pro comp 8's and they were £102 per 1000.

Cartridges are going up quite a bit as the chinese are buying the worlds lead supplies at the moment. That's what I was told anyway. The .22 rounds that I use for targets have just gone up from £3.30 a box to £3.90.

Cheers

Martin

Good news is I get 1000 Rotweil 28g number 7s for clay for £90 :lol:

BAD news is he don't do mail order :lol:

LG

hope you dont intend using them a thimbleby? 7 1/2 and up only

cheers KW

he he Beg pardon :blush:

They ARE 7.5 i was lookin at the wrong part of the box :lol:

LG

I order 6000+ at a time for me and my shooting buddy so it would be no prob for 5000 split 4-5 ways,personally for pigeon carts I now never buy less than 1000,and have in the neighbourhood of 3500 at the mo,and thats just loaded carts and doesn`t cover powder and rifle bullets.....................hope we don`t have a fire :lol: If we do I`m sure you`ll ALL hear it :lol::lol::lol:

Flipping hell!LOL. Was chatting to my local gun dealer, he said he doesnt order anymore than 6000 at any one time, thats for everything shotguns, rifles, handguns and anything else I may have left out :lol: . It's **** over here in that respect, I can only legally hold 100 carts for my shotgun (not yet into clays but I can certainly see the addictive qualities of it). Though I think there are special licences for pro target shooters and the like that allow for greater numbers.

John

Just buy and store a few thousand store em in the outhouse and keep the 100 in a cupboard.

If the boys in blue pay a visit tell em you WERE only buying them in 100s but they kept going missing :ermm:

Then turn to the wife and say!!!

I warned you about your bloody tidying anticts now youve got me in trouble.

But officer i ALWAYS told her not to touch them but she says she don't like em in the house i had NO idea she was throwing em in the shed :good:

:lol::lol:

LG

Yep, gas operated action cycling port. No probs :blush: