lead shot drippers

So you keep saying :rolleyes:

How about spilling the beans :hmm:

I've enough shot to last a long long time but it may help someone else.

I've learnt not to spill the beans too early. This design is NOT mine; I have to respect the wishes of the 'inventor' or should I say 'improver'.

These devices can be made simply at a fair rate of knots, but he wants to manufacture a shed-load of relatively inexpensive complete kits to demonstrate and sell at shows, etc.

When you think you can buy a slab of shells more cheaply than a 7kg tub of shot, it's no wonder that homeloading of bread and butter loads is dying out.

I've learnt not to spill the beans too early. This design is NOT mine; I have to respect the wishes of the 'inventor' or should I say 'improver'.

These devices can be made simply at a fair rate of knots, but he wants to manufacture a shed-load of relatively inexpensive complete kits to demonstrate and sell at shows, etc.

When you think you can buy a slab of shells more cheaply than a 7kg tub of shot, it's no wonder that homeloading of bread and butter loads is dying out.

Hope it's as good as you expect.

Until they are available drippers seem to be the only option though.

• 1 year later...

old army mess tin and some stainless steel bolts in the side ,with a hole drilled almost the hole way through the bolt, in the underside of the head of the bolt a hole drilled @.045 mm ,if you go onto Google and look at DIY lead shot making on images ,you will find a few on there :good:

Edited by pigeon pete

F C

this shotmaker your on about , is it a revamped model of the steve hughes shotmaker that did the rounds in the early 90,s by any chance is it , i had one ( chucked it about 5 years ago wish i hadnt now with all the info on the web about shotmaking lol ) i just could not master it but that was way before foruns like this were about .

andy

but simpler ,mmm

thats interesting , steves was a good machine no doubt about it (back then it was selling for £ 39.00 plus £ 5.75 postage if my memory is correct oh the good old days eh ) i seen him demostrate somewhere back in the day , cant remember where , and fair play it spit out good quality round no.6 shot depending on the head height , if i remember rightly the higher the head the smaller the shot , nice compact set up so i bought one .

but at the time i didnt have a clue about lead alloy , coolent temps ,etc ,etc and i failed , nice tear drops though but i could not get round shot for the life of me ,so gave shotmaking up as a bad job.

however having read what i,ve been reading over the last 3 years about shotmaking i can now see now where i was going wrong and by the look of things that was everywhere, but i would be interested if one becomes avaiable in the future ,

got a bit more patients to tinker with projects like this now LOL.besides i,ve been hording lead for years and got quite a stockpile now.

andy

rupertsshotmsaker.jpgEre we go again! Just googled "Steve Hugh's shotmaker" and all I found was pictures of golf clubs and cricket bats.

For some reason, I have an image in my head of a heated tube held by a clamp at an angle and lead poured into it and the end of the tube is cut off at a very long angle and the lead drips from the point, did I read that on here somewhere?

Edited by nabbers

For some reason, I have an image in my head of a heated tube held by a clamp at an angle and lead poured into it and the end of the tube is cut off at a very long angle and the lead drips from the point, did I read that on here somewhere?

I think that you are referring to the Silverstream shotmaker that FC has detailed on here before.

Steve's was a simple welded open topped box with six tiny holes drilled on the underside, about 10mm from the upright. Welded to the base was a sloping ramp. The box was laid in a cradle on the edge of the coolant tank with the lip of the ramp just above the coolant. Molten lead was ladled into the box as a flame played on the underside. This set-up would make good shot. The slightly different one that I am staying away from fully describing, (so please leave off me, lol), is of stainless steel and rests in its own 'flame-trap' cradle; this trap affords efficient running from just a simple blow-lamp. Small ingots are added and no pre-melting is necessary.

• 4 years later...