scooters

big lad

had a LI 125 with a 175 kit on it delorto carb and fresco exhaust , a P200E tuned with a pitone exhaust , Rally 200 , P125X , and another P200E custom job.

i,d love another one :rolleyes:

S/B - how old are you , are you a member of any scooter club , are the monsters still going

cheers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Darren, I joined the Mansfield Monsters in 86 and Im still in it. The last few years I have only do a couple of rallies a year and a few local do`s, bloody kids.

Cleethorpes Scooter rally is run by the Monsters and the Olympics, the scooter scence now is as big as it was in the 80`s, if not bigger, all them born agains

Im 42, where are you from and what club where you in

original member of Calverton hornets sc mate , joined around 83/84 , still going strong i think . do you know of them steve foster and the crew.

not seen any of them for donkeys years

ahhh... so your all the guys i always see sat on the side of the road cursing the noisy little things puffing out loads of smoke

:lol:

I used to belong to Kensington Scooter Club, we used to meet in the crypt of a church round the back of Shepherds Bush Green in London during the 60's. My first scooter was a 1957 (I think) Lambretta LD150, I then had an Li 125, GTV 200 and GP 200. I've got some old photos of what I used to get up to with them, I'll see if I can find and scan them.

original member of Calverton hornets sc mate , joined around 83/84 , still going strong i think . do you know of them steve foster and the crew.

not seen any of them for donkeys years

I went to one of your dos in 84, it was in a hut at the back of the calverton miners welfare, i was 14

I knew and still know a few of the hornets, steve is in the monsters now, he runs the vfm, grahame stopped going on the rallies about 12 years ago, big deb from jacksdale still goes, can you remember shippo from the notts outlaws, he has been in the monsters for about 12 years or more

The calv hornets started up again as the hornets, but there was alot of in fighting, so most of them left and it folded

Orrible little things...we used to call them Tampax...and they were ridden by a #### :lol: :lol: :blink:

I just had about 30 motorbikes when I was younger, much more fun, and a lot safer!

When you look at some of these born agains wearing parkers, pork pie hats and bracers, your not far wrong lol

Edited by scooterboy

Ha! know what you mean....

We actually didn't have any issues with scooter boys, we were all mates really, just some got a bike and some got a Tampax :lol:

One old mate who I've mentioned in another post is Mani from the Stone Roses & Primals....back then known as Mani The Mod :blink:

The full monty: parka, suits, 20,000 mirrors, ferret tail on whippy aerial...I almost joined him but went for a bike instead :)

Ha! know what you mean....

We actually didn't have any issues with scooter boys, we were all mates really, just some got a bike and some got a Tampax :lol:

One old mate who I've mentioned in another post is Mani from the Stone Roses & Primals....back then known as Mani The Mod :blink:

The full monty: parka, suits, 20,000 mirrors, ferret tail on whippy aerial...I almost joined him but went for a bike instead :)

Alot of the indie groups from the early 90`s had scooters, ocean colour scence, blur bloke, oasis bros, even the god father mr weller, but they all grew up, we didnt lol

all we wanted to do was cut the scooters down, get the biggest barrel and carb on them, the fattest exhaust and see who could get to the rallie first without breaking down. It cost us thousands on new pistons and kits lol

I went to one of your dos in 84, it was in a hut at the back of the calverton miners welfare, i was 14

I knew and still know a few of the hornets, steve is in the monsters now, he runs the vfm, grahame stopped going on the rallies about 12 years ago, big deb from jacksdale still goes, can you remember shippo from the notts outlaws, he has been in the monsters for about 12 years or more

The calv hornets started up again as the hornets, but there was alot of in fighting, so most of them left and it folded

remember shippo well mate , are there any other outlaws there , as he still got the beer gut :rolleyes:

i saw graham young about 5 years back in Arnold , but not seen him since.

big debs what a charactor , i only saw a pic last week of her in that scootering book , there was a few old faces in that and it bought back some memories.came up to eight bells afew times for monsters does back in the 80's..

wow after all these years the scene is still going , brill :good:

• 2 months later...

I've finally found some pictures of my scooter days, got nothing prior to 1970 as that was when I moved out from my parents, anything older went up in smoke.

All my school pals had motorbikes in the 6th form - BSA Bantams, Ariel Arrows, Francis Barnetts, Triumph Tiger Cubs etc and one bloke had, horror of horrors, a Honda Benly, with Japanese Dunlop tyres which was fun for him in the wet :no: My parents wouldn't allow me to have a motorbike, a scooter would be ok because it was much more sedate :ermm: Little did they know I spent many hours in my school metalwork lab with the Lambo in bits, laboriously opening up and polishing the inlet, exhaust and transfer ports, skimming the cylinder head to increase the compression ratio etc. I also fabricated my own exhaust system and I replaced the small carb with a nice large Amal concentric jobby :sly: I could never get it to run properly with a Dell'Orto downdraught carb though.

I finally got found out when I outran a bobby once too often on his Velocette Noddy Bike and he got a Jag patrol car to catch me on the North Circular Road :o I used to go past the Ace Cafe on the way to and from work and the cafe racers there were impressed with how quick a poxy scooter went :lol:

I did a couple of sprints at RAF Fulbeck and ran it on methanol and had to drill out the main jet with a 1/16" drill to get enough fuel into the engine. Methanol and Castrol R was a heady smell and when I smell R these days it brings back many memories.

In the 60's and 70's we didn't 'race' as such as the insurance for the organisers would have been exorbitant so high speed trials with a handicap section were held, which were all but in name races.

I've 'raced' Lambo's at Cadwell Park, Croft, Crystal Palace, Lydden Hill, Mallory Park, Pembrey, Snetterton and Thruxton.

The first two pictures of me (119) were taken at Crystal Palace in 1970 the last year this circuit was used and I was in the 200 Specials class.

The next four (32) were taken during 1970 and 1971 at Mallory Park.

The next two (433) were taken at Cadwell Park during 1974 and I was riding my mate Mick Dawson's 150 Special.

The final two (433) were taken at Croft during 1974 and I was riding one of Mick Dawson's cut down 150 Specials.

My old built up racer GLU9J was laying around in my back garden when I'd finally got scooters out of my blood and eventually I sold it for £50 with all the trick bits on it, it'd be worth a fortune today I suppose.

Finally something I know !

Started out on a Raleigh Roma 80cc and moved on to a TV175 series III. Sold it for an engagement ring. Still have the old dear after 43 years. Wish I had the Lambretta as well ;o) I now have a Honda ST1300 that my Harley friends call my scooter. Will that do?

Had an LI 125 series 3 and an Indian GP 200 but had to sell them a few years back when I was skint and have regreted it ever since. I'm hopefully gonna get another next near as a treat for my 45th Birthday and relive my youth. Still got loads of mates, back in Leeds, who still have there scoots and are still going to rallies.

Hi,

I've still got a 1969 AF rayspeed italian gp200.Used to be in Stockport Crusaders,Manchester Lyons.Havn't rode it for about 7 years now, Its just sat at back of garage.My brother still goes on rallies/do's, he rides a SX200.Used to know Big Shippo and little Shippo,Ste Foster,Johnny Bolland etc.Happy days!

AF stands for Arthur Francis who used to be in Watford. The late Neville Frost worked for him, then Ray ????? can't remember his surname but he lived in Garston or thereabouts, I took him and the remnants of his scooter home from a race at Lydden Hill after he duffed it. I was surveying a property up in Yorkshire a few years ago and saw a garage selling scooters, called in there to have a look around and lo and behold there was Ray ????.

AF stands for Arthur Francis who used to be in Watford. The late Neville Frost worked for him, then Ray ????? can't remember his surname but he lived in Garston or thereabouts, I took him and the remnants of his scooter home from a race at Lydden Hill after he duffed it. I was surveying a property up in Yorkshire a few years ago and saw a garage selling scooters, called in there to have a look around and lo and behold there was Ray ????.

His suname is Ray Kemp.Owner of Rayspeed at Malton.

His suname is Ray Kemp.Owner of Rayspeed at Malton.

Thanks for putting me out of my misery, I was racking my brain last night trying to remember it.

A name that has come to mind from my days was Iggy Mycock from the Lyons, not sure if Bob Melling was from them too, but he was a northerner. Be in their 60's now if they're still about.

I'd like to have my body back from those days which fitted into my leathers - 36" chest and 28" waist, now both are a good plus 10" :lol:

I started off with a Lamby 150 Series 2 as my dad said I would kill myself on a motorbike - and quite right he was too.

In 5 years I had half a dozen Lambies up to the GT 200, and quite a few Vespas - my last was a 180SS

I was secretary of Warrington scooter club, and they were a good bunch.

Greasers - most of those we met were right plonkers who didn't know Mike Hailwood from Bill Ivy, but talked the talk.....

As for safety - quite a few of my mates with bikes ended up in the cemetary. My dad was right - doing 70 on a Lamby was enough for young lads with the common sense gorm not kicking in yet.

Happy days