just interested

BenBhoy

over or under first?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. just wanted to know which barrell people fire first?

• Over (top)
    • Under (bottom)

Generally the bottom barrel is fired first as you get less muzzle flip (clays)

I use the top barrel as I find it is quicker to replace the cartridge when firing a single shot (pigeon shooting)

As others have said depends on target and chokes.

None of the above really answers your question though does it. :hmm::lol:

depends on distance to target and what chokes are in the gun.

I'm not really understanding that, if you can chose the barrel, and you can set up each as you want, then I suspect, setting aside any quarry/distance, you have a favoured barrel as first, which is the question!

ATB!

Well, at the moment I have a semi, a single barrel and an O/U, which I can select the barrel on.

As someone else said, I don't have a problem with factory set as bottom first, (although I am convinved many people just assume the top fires first), I can miss anything easily with either barrel!

I tend to fit a tighter choke in the second fired barrel on the assumption that if I missed with the first, the odds are the quarry will generally (not always of course) be a bit further away when I let go the second!

Commonly 1/4 and 1/2, the semi lives with 1/2 and the single barrel is fixed, and I struggle to hit anything with that! :lol::lol:

Well, at the moment I have a semi, a single barrel and an O/U, which I can select the barrel on.

As someone else said, I don't have a problem with factory set as bottom first, (although I am convinved many people just assume the top fires first), I can miss anything easily with either barrel!

I tend to fit a tighter choke in the second fired barrel on the assumption that if I missed with the first, the odds are the quarry will generally (not always of course) be a bit further away when I let go the second!

Commonly 1/4 and 1/2, the semi lives with 1/2 and the single barrel is fixed, and I struggle to hit anything with that! :lol::lol:

i'm the same there, usually have second barrell tighter for that reason. and then usually left wishing i had a 3 shot semi!

yeah understand it depends on choke, distance etc, guess it more relevant to those with m/c gun.

Edited by BenBhoy

yeah understand it depends on choke, distance etc, guess it more relevant to those with m/c gun.

I would say more relevant to those with a fixed choke with a multi you can change your chokes for what your shooting..

With a SxS which do you fire first? I have a fixed choke 1/4 & 3/4 none selective single trigger SxS

Bottom barrel every time as its more in line with the hinge & therefore puts less strain on the gun.

If top used first the gun will go "off the face" quicker.

I have a non screw-in choke EELL for about 30 years & twice had if put back on the face even using bottom first!

fenman99

is there a general consensus that one is better than other?

I change them around every couple of years, to even the wear in the gun; I use it mainly for pigeons so the majority is single shots. The ratio compared to pairs or 50p pigeons (2shots for one bird!!) is fairly high. Muzzle flip is not an issue for the second bird as it is often going in the completely different direction :lol:

TEH