Best knife sharpener?

chrispti

I have a few knives which are sharp but I saw a man who had a Mora knife at a local game fair yesterday. It was as sharp as a razor! he proved this by effortlessly shaving the hair off of the back of his hand :blink:

What I forgot to ask him was what sharpener he used :rolleyes:

Any one have any recommendations for a decent sharpener which will achieve this kind of standard of knife edge :hmm:

Cheers

Chris :good:

gerber sharpener, it has a course and fine sharpener, use course 5 or so times then fine 5 or so times and my knife is shape as a razor, can cut hair on back of hand too!!! got mine on fleebay, £5 posted. Highly recommed them!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gerber-Ceramic-Pocket-Knife-Sharpener-4307-/390345334938?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item5ae265209a

I can easily get my Moras that sharp with a Tri-Angle Sharpmaker and a leather belt strop.

What side of the belt do u use?

Guest super-pedant

gerber sharpener, it has a course and fine sharpener, use course 5 or so times then fine 5 or so times and my knife is shape as a razor, can cut hair on back of hand too!!! got mine on fleebay, £5 posted. Highly recommed them!!

OK, just ordered one, hope it's as good as you say.

I bought one of THESE and cant fault it one bit, it gets the blade very SHARP.....OUCH as i discovered when i ran my finger along :oops::lol::good:

That is what I currently use mate :yes: , they do get a knife sharp, but not as sharp as the mans Mora I saw :no:

He literally scraped the blade gently over the back of his hand, and shaved it!

I couldn't have done the job better with my Mach3 :blink:

halfords wet and dry 800/1500/2500 sand paper and a peice of glass i think for the grand total of about £2.50 a pack but its all doun to technique to get the blade sharp with eny of the blade sharpening kits.i was looking at a japenese water stone but how ment sheets of wet and dry can you buy for £80+.

as for the blade tec only use if you dont like the knife you have :oops::hmm:

Edited by fruitloop

I have spent years sharpen knives using a steel and although this is a quick way, one which i still use the best by for is a

japenese wet stone. These do not have to be expensive and you should be able to get a comination stone for around £25. this will give you a couple of grits one medium one fine. The important thing with sharpening is the angle, on a japenese knife this is 15 degrees. take it steady and don't push down to hard. it wont take long before you could shave with it :)

Lansky Turnbox 4 from Heinnie Haynes is the dog boz, pocketable, easy to use and brings a dulled edge to shaving sharp is a few swipes.

If the blades need much reworking then the lansky stone sets work a treat but the below really is value for money, I use one for my Mora's and tripe knives etc and love it.

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=4559

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gerber-Ceramic-Pocket-Knife-Sharpener-4307-/390345334938?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item5ae265209a

I'll second the Gerber....and the process suggested...Bought my first while in the USA, and bought a second on the B

ay....I've got baldy bits all over my arms....gonny start on the legs soon..:)

Dont be too heavy handed with it tho, just light strokes ( Oooer mrs) is all you'll need...:) Might take a a wee while, but you'll get there...:)

Edited by Norrie

Don't like the Blade Tech type of sharpeners...BRUTAL!

I use a Norton IB8 course/medium, gets my knives hair popping sharp, if i need to go sharper i finish on a Fallkniven DC4.

Thing to remember is, the sharper the blade, the less time it holds an edge. For most of my use, sharp enough is sharp enough. I use the Norton on the rare occasion i need to put an edge on a really dull blade, most of the time i use a 600 grit arkansas stone for edge touch ups.

Got one on Amazon for about £3.50 and can't seem to get it to work. How hard do you press on it?