17 HMR...............

Magwitch

Have just brought a new 17 HMR 16" barreled CZ455 Varmint with a thumbhole stock, have been shooting a .22 Rimmie for ages so any advice welcome i.e. zeroing distances, ammo etc etc...........................thanks in advance.

Zero at 100yds or just a tad more. Beware of shooting over the top at about 85yds ( if you can only see the top of the head above the grass ), otherwise aim on up to 120yds and watch them drop like water. Windage is slightly better than your 22 with subs, but of course you'll have to learn for longer distances.

Maggy the best thing for you to do ,is start practising get yourself a load of paper targets,put them out at different distances 70yds 80yds 100 yds 120 yds etc...As the flat projectory of the 17 hmr will be apparent.

but like anything you will need a good scope.Your choice of Optics are far more important than anything else.

some reading material for you 17HMR STUFF

Edited by huntsman

It's easy shooting the HMR. Mine's zeroed at 35 yards which leaves it bang on at 100 (so Dekers will confirm that 35 years is not the true zero!)

You don't need a fancy scope but I like some decent magnification - a baby bunny at 120 yards isn't big. I can shoot reliably off sticks 120+ yards, more from the car. I refuse to throw myself to the ground to shoot a bunny.

I've not had any bother with any ammo although the 20 grain can over penetrate and I much prefer the ballistic tips.

The HMR is great fun to shoot!

I've just bought mine and have been playing with Chaingun Pro. OK it's intended for air rifles, but you can set the data for HMRs quite easily.

I have: Zero at 115m (giving a second at 43). This will give you a 2.5cm (1") killzone from 27m to 130m (give or take 0.5m), highest point is at 78m. At 158m you only have a 5cm (2") drop.

I zeroed at 43m as I wanted to take fewer chances of my first shot flying off into the distance (not much of an issue as the place I chose to do this was surrounded by woods in a small dell). The first few shots didn't even get on the A4 page! However by #18 I'd split the cross I'd drawn on the card. The next 5 could have been covered by a 20p coin. I then went looking for bunnies. 1st shot was at 75 paces and knocked his eyeball out, 2nd shot at 80 paces took half her skull off. There followed a crow and a magpie, then the rain came back - properly, so I headed home. Since then it has been blowing so hard I'm worried about letting the sprogs out without bricks in their pockets, never mind chucking tiny bullets around.

If anyone fancies the graph, shout and I'll email you a screen-dump.

Zero at 100yds or just a tad more. Beware of shooting over the top at about 85yds ( if you can only see the top of the head above the grass ), otherwise aim on up to 120yds and watch them drop like water. Windage is slightly better than your 22 with subs, but of course you'll have to learn for longer distances.

Pretty much as i would have put it. Watch the wind carefully as even a little makes a big difference. In practical terms you couldn't decern the diffence in a HMR windage and a .22 lr at 100 yds, however we don't generally shoot further than 100 as a max with the .22 lr 150-160 yds and the wind gets real difficult at times- forget it tonight you would get windages into the next county :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...

I have bought a CZ455 in .17HMR 16" barrel and i am sure I put my results of grouping with different ammo on here. I spent all day shooting targets at 100yrds with different makes of ammo just to find out what ammo suited my rifle best. I do this with any rifle I buy as I have found over the years this is the only way to be sure your going to get the best results. I will try and find the link and add it onto here for all to see. As for the scope I have put a 4 - 12x50 Hawke HD as I dont like to clart on with any scopes which are Pharrelex as i dont find the time to do them before the bunny runs off, each to their own but as fare as a sound mod I do like my new DM80 which is a universal type so that you can change the front end cap from .22 too the .17HMR so x2 Sound Mods for the price of one and I personal find the mod very nice and quiet one of the best sound mods I have ever used and beleave me I have tried a few. Good luck with your shooting :good::yes:

Try this link if it works :-

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/174358-cz455-17hmr-thumbhole-16-varmite/page__p__1478918__hl__james__fromsearch__1#entry1478918

Also try this link if it works :-

http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/DEANREX/17HMR%20TH%2016%20VARMITE/

Edited by DR JAMES

I brought 200 red tips to be getting on with...................what would be the maximum range for a rabbit?

Look to 100-150yards, in reasonably still conditions the HMR is perfectly capable of this.

My best is 258yards, witnessed and checked on the rangefinder, my RFD has done 285yards and no doubt others have done further.

The reality is these are one off shots, if you want these distances all the time you DON'T want a HMR!

:good:

I have mine zeroed at 100 yards as well,which leaves it about 1/2" high at about 75 yards. Haven't pushed it further than about 120 yards on live quarry,as I'm still getting the hang of it.

Mine seems to like Federal V-Max best,but Hornady V-Max aren't far behind.I've tried a couple of boxes of 20grs but wasn't happy with they're performance.

I zero mine 20mm high at 70 yards which I puts me bang on at about 120.

I used to zero at 100 but I find this better. At 70 yds leaning against the trunk of a large oak tree at the bottom of my garden I can shoot groups of three that are all touching with ease. This makes very precise zeroing possible by minimising shooter error, which is not so easy at 100 yds.

I've come to prefer the longer zero as I find it easier to compensate at shorter range than longer, particularly in poor light. I'm bang on at about 50, an inch high to about 80 then bang on out to 135/140.

Most of my shots are taken between 90 and 130 yds, about 15/20% out to 160, and a handful at short range and I find the longer zero just suits me. I now aim low between 50 and 80 yds without having to think about it and I very rarely miss at long range with little or no holdover to take into account.

As you're new to HMR you'll probably tend to shoot at shorter ranges to begin with until you get to know the calibre. So begin with a 100 yd zero, which will also be bang on at 40, and see how you go.

The vital thing to know is the distance at which the bullet first crosses the sight line for your chosen zero distance; then you have a picture in your mind of your bullet's trajectory and you will make far fewer mistakes with your point of aim.

PS, use whatever ammo suits your rifle by trying a few brands and stick to 17grn ballistics. 20 grn hollows are horrible things and when you get a bouncer, which you will, they're heart stopping. They shriek off on a flat course at twice the speed of a .22lr screaming like banshees. You'll be thinking where the hell did that go and you'll never want to use them again. BTs are far safer and much better stoppers.

I have been using my 17HMR for a few years now and I believe that the HMR is a very underated rifle - It is certainly my first choice from my gun cabinet for general vermin control! Having read all of the replies on this thread I tend to agree with most of the advice given.

I keep mine zereoed at 100 yards using a Simmons Pro-Hunter 3-10X44 scope and like to think that I hit much more than I miss with it set up like that using 17g rounds (I am happy with Hornady Red Tips but I prefer to use Federal V-Shock - Both in 17g). As for 20g rounds I can not comment as I have never used them and I have heard some "not so favourable reports" about them so for me it comes down to "If it ain't broke then why try fixing it" - Go with what you are happy and confident with.

I can shoot rabbits quite confidently out to about 180 yards but much of this is down to having confidence in my own abilities and knowing my set up - I have to admit that I prefer to keep my shots to within anout 120 yards though. Before you try to take on these "long shots" I would advise spending time shooting paper targets at different ranges to get used to your rifle and it"s charactoristics before taking on live quarry - There is nothing worse than hearing the "thud" of a 17HMR round hitting a rabbit at "long range" only to watch the rabbit scuttle off injured!

Edited by Frenchieboy

Have just brought a new 17 HMR 16" barreled CZ455 Varmint with a thumbhole stock, have been shooting a .22 Rimmie for ages so any advice welcome i.e. zeroing distances, ammo etc etc...........................thanks in advance.

Jammy ******, thats the rifle I want, just need a fac first :lol:

Report back your thoughts on it after getting some ammo through it :good:

My best is 258yards, witnessed and checked on the rangefinder, my RFD has done 285yards and no doubt others have done further.

The reality is these are one off shots, if you want these distances all the time you DON'T want a HMR!

The trouble with quoting numbers like that is that every new Tom, **** and Harry will try it, regardless of their skill.

In reality, for average marksmen in average conditions, a clean head or heart shot at 160yds is a shot you can be proud of, knowing that you're not pushing the boundaries beyond respect and into reckless.

The trouble with quoting numbers like that is that every new Tom, **** and Harry will try it, regardless of their skill.

In reality, for average marksmen in average conditions, a clean head or heart shot at 160yds is a shot you can be proud of, knowing that you're not pushing the boundaries beyond respect and into reckless.

I totally agree with you Catweazle and this is the point that I was trying to get across when I said that before you tried anything like this you need to spend time and ammunition getting to know your rifle/scope/ammo combination better than you know your other half, and you should have plenty of confidence in your own abilities!

Leaving a "runner" is not a good thing for the reputation of our sport and is something that I don't like to see even with "vermin"! There are no doubt some very experienced and capable marksmen on here that are more than capable of cleanly killing a rabbit at 200 yards plus with a 17HMR but there are also many others that would try this "just for the hell of it" and make a mess of it, so if you are going to do a job (Extreme range shooting with a 17HMR - Or any other calibre come to that) make sure that you can do it properly on paper targets (Consistently) before trying it with live quarry.

Look to 100-150yards, in reasonably still conditions the HMR is perfectly capable of this.

The trouble with saying anything on a forum is that someone will always construe whatever you say the way they want and put their own slant on it.

My post said 100-150 yards normally, and if you want long distances you DON'T want a HMR!

The trouble with saying anything on a forum is that someone will always construe whatever you say the way they want and put their own slant on it.

My post said 100-150 yards normally, and if you want long distances you DON'T want a HMR!

Actually you wrote "if you want these distances all the time....", which does put a different slant on it, but that wasn't my point, and I'm not having a pop at you in particular.

Everyone can kid themselves they're a good shot, and seeing these unrealistic distances quoted again and again will encourage people to try their luck or think there is something wrong with their kit.

I wish the Kent meet had happened, I had an archery target so that we could try 300yds and come back with a proper report.