First Fly Caught Rainbow

Marc M

I'm feeling rather proud. I caught my first ever fish on the fly the other night, at my very first attempt! :blush:

Paid for a 2 hour ticket on a local still water after work, all I had was my rod, reel, line, spool of tippet and a small tin of flies, nothing flash, nothing expensive, but just enough to have some fun and see what all the fuss game fishing is about.

My first hour was counter-productive, whilst not quite managing any tangles or knots I did manage to spook half the fish in the northern hemisphere with my cack handed attempts at casting a fly. And doesn't it look so easy?

75 minutes in and I'd missed two takes, when along came take number three and FISH ON!!!!!!

Here's me, with my prize, a lovely rainbow trout just over 1.5 lb and I'm now one fully hooked game fisherman :)

post-1411-1147112758.jpg

Well done sunshine :)

I aint done any Fly fishing yet but managed just about every other type so Fly will be next on my list ;)

And to get a reward for all your hard work makes it all worth while

Me i throw all mine back now though much to the annoyance of the Fishery owners :blush:

I throw the trout back also and they kick off about (how can they keep records?) :huh:

Simple mate just don't take into account i was here :P

Got kicked out of one in Wales for putting them back :o

Still it was worth the £12 to see his face when i accidently on purpose dropped my WHOLE box of bait in the tackle room ;)

LG

It isn't half rewarding though, I'd highly recommend trying fly fishing to anyone that hasn't had a go. I didn't have the best of kit, but took with me bundles of enthusiasm and the attitude that I would enjoy the experience regardless of catching a fish.

Doesn't half get the adrenaline pumping when you see a fish rise to your fly, and when the line tightens, well, it's something else!

I've missed many more fish than I've caught so far though, but that will come with practice. I'm also buying my youngest brother a fly fishing outfit for his birthday this Wednesday as he's expressed an interest too, so at least I'll have somebody to take out for a few hours, and it will do him good. He also wants his own air rifle now as I took him out rabbit shooting for the first time last Tuesday night, but at 14 years old my parents would prefer he waited till he was a bit older for his own.

Great to see another country sports lover in the family though, I was convinced he'd only ever like football and hardcore music :blush: It seems there's time for anyone to change though :)

Nice one Marc, a tastey looking fish too. :blush: I've never been a big fan of fishing but had a go at fly fishing up at the lakes on a farm. It was far too easy, cast out, pulled the rod back only to find a fish on the end of it. :)

Well done mate :blush: look a lot better than the pics you sent to my phone. Im going to have to pull my thumb out of my bum and get back out shooting (4 weeks!, but then the new g/f comes beofer shooting at the min) & get myself a fly rod and get out in the eves (beats sitting in watching the drivel that is on the tele).

You shall have the pleasure of my company very soon bud :)

I've never been a big fan of fishing but had a go at fly fishing up at the lakes on a farm. It was far too easy, cast out, pulled the rod back only to find a fish on the end of it. :P

*Tuts and shakes his head* :good:

You boys have a lot to learn, that is all I can say :good:

nice size fish Mark,

**** of butter bit of pepper, under the grill......... BOOOOOOOOtiful.

I remember when i landed my first, all the other fisher men watching clapped when it was in the net,

thought that was really good and sporting of them.

A nice feeling, i am sure you will remember catching your first for a long time. :good:

keep it going

There sure is a real sense of sportsmanship, respect and real generosity amongst the fly fishing fraternity, or at least I find that locally. The chaps I've met and chatted to so far in my limited experience have all been true country sports enthusiasts and offered countless advice, and free flies (yet to find out if they are the ones that DON'T catch :good:) whilst out fishing. Some of the old boys have helped engrain the notion that this really is, like game shooting, a noble art, and talk of it as such in a truly wonderous vein. If nothing else this makes me even more enthusiastic about the sport, as anything that involves fieldcraft, skill as well as caring for natural habitat and conservation is only a good thing in my book.

PS My youngest brother is so keen to come out again with me that I have offered him my rod as an incentive for him to take up the sport by saving for his own reel and line. I've got my eye on a nice Hardy Swift MkII anyway :lol: I knew it wouldn't take long for the £££ to mount up, just like shooting... :)