Help please with Shotgun cabinet purchase

smokinggun

Hi Again everyone,

I am trying to buy a 2 gun breakdown cabinet so its ready for when i put my application in for a sgc, but as its my first time i'm stumped,

Can i buy one with only a single lock in the middle such as the one in the first picture or does it need to have two locks like second pic as i dont want to waste money on something they wont pass but as i dont have a lot of money at the moment i could put the difference towards something else i will need such as gun slip etc.

Thanks for an help you guys can offer.

post-47767-0-36047600-1316956008.jpg

post-47767-0-11368600-1316956102.jpg

Hi Guys,

The only reason i was going for one of these is i live in a very small house with the wife and the only place for it really is under the stairs which is 1200mm high and there is no loft to put one either so i'm a bit stuck as to what i can fit in,

we are trying to move but that could be a long time yet so i didnt want to wait so i thought i could start with this and maybe upgrade when we eventually do move house.

Hi semiautolee,

No my upstairs is part built into the loft so the ceilings next to all the outside solid walls are sloped meaning you cannot fit a wardrobe against them as the slope comes down to low, they put skylights in each room rather than windows in the walls so as i say its quite difficult,

The only cupboards are the understairs, and the airing cupboard but there isnt any room with the boiler.

Hi Dan-250,

Yea i suppose that is another idea i hadnt thought about doing it that way, i will look into that idea to,

Cheers

Hi semiautolee,

No my upstairs is part built into the loft so the ceilings next to all the outside solid walls are sloped meaning you cannot fit a wardrobe against them as the slope comes down to low, they put skylights in each room rather than windows in the walls so as i say its quite difficult,

The only cupboards are the understairs, and the airing cupboard but there isnt any room with the boiler.

:hmm: you do have a awkward house :lol::good:

I was advised, by the firearms officer (Warwickshire), not to buy a cabinet until my application had been approved. The officer was really helpful and decided on the optimal place in the house for the cabinet to go too. He wasm't a fan of break-down cabinets - saying that anything that involves messing around will inhibit the safe storage habit.

Ironically (and I thought rather worrying at the time) once you have a certificate then it is possible to buy a gun even though you could potentially not have a safe to store it in. By the time I'd got round to buying my gun I'd also bought and installed my cabinet too - I was amazed that I could buy the gun and take it away even though, at that time, the cabinet installation hadn't been inspected - in fact they needed prompting and eventually did it three months later.

If you can bolt it to the floor i would get the biggest one you can afford.

I bought a five gun with locking ammo box 2 years ago and could do with a bigger one as i now have 3 shotguns a .17 rifle and a air rifle.

You will want more gun's at some time.

I never thought i would have more than 3 but i could be up to 6 shortly.

Good luck getting sorted. :good:

I was advised, by the firearms officer (Warwickshire), not to buy a cabinet until my application had been approved. The officer was really helpful and decided on the optimal place in the house for the cabinet to go too. He wasm't a fan of break-down cabinets - saying that anything that involves messing around will inhibit the safe storage habit.

Ironically (and I thought rather worrying at the time) once you have a certificate then it is possible to buy a gun even though you could potentially not have a safe to store it in. By the time I'd got round to buying my gun I'd also bought and installed my cabinet too - I was amazed that I could buy the gun and take it away even though, at that time, the cabinet installation hadn't been inspected - in fact they needed prompting and eventually did it three months later.

My cabinet has never been inspected

Edited by Davie_M

Cheers guys i appreciate all the advice,

On another note i have been having some one to one starter clay shooting lessons but i am not a member at the club yet as it doesnt save any money unless you are using your own equipment so will i be okay when the FLO visits just telling them that or should i join first before i apply for my certificate,

Just seems a waste to join before i can reap the benefits of being a member.

Cheers again

IT is the cert holders responsibility to sotre guns in accordanc ewith the law, afterall you could have a cabinet and not bother using it.... It's down to you not the police/FEO normally they will check but its quite common for people to have a cert and no cabinet if they don't own a gun or store it in another cert holders cabinet.

Keep an eye out 3/4/5 gun cabinets go for between £50-80 thats what a break down one will cost and if money is tight better waiting for a good deal than rushing to buy something that may not be suitable.

Id definitely agree with the comments about getting the biggest cabinet you can. Both myself and a lot of my mates have made the same mistake and started off with a small 3 gun cabinet which set me back about 100quid new. Then within about 6 months you have run out of space and have all the hassle of getting another one, swapping them over, refitting it all, then selling the old one.

If your interested, im selling a 4 or 5 gun cabinet in the for sale section atm. Its a nice slim one, police approved and because the front comes off, might make easier access for you if your having to mount it somewhere strange.

I know the sort of starter houses you are talking about, ive looked at those myself in the past. You`ll find the walls are like sand - really struggle to get a good mounting on them. Maybe see what the FEO suggests.

Each FEO is different when they issue the certificate. My old area where I lived never once inspected or even looked at my cabinet. I moved house earlier in the year and the new FEO wanted to check the cabinet straight away.

have not got any cupboards with a solid wall in?? or is your wardrobe up against a solid wall?? :good:

This is what I've done. Full height 3 gun safe bolted to the wall inside wardrobe.

Luckily I was building the wardrobes anyway so measured and cut out the wardrobe backing before fitting.

Safe slid up to the wall a treat and you'd never know it was there with the clothes in the way.

The licensing officer was stoked.