how fit are you

bi9johnny

I am 18st 12lb, 5ft 10" and i admit i am carrying too much weight.

Doc says i should be 11.5st. At 16 when i was playing no 14 for school rugby i was 13.5 stone. That was when i was at my fittest. How the hell am i going to get down to 11.5?. Just not logical

Never smoked, rarely drink these days, just eat a bit too much **** but was still on the farm todat lifting and carrying..

As long as BP & Cholesterol are ok, keep on doing what ya doing :rolleyes:

Im 18 4 and doc says I should be 12 5 But like you Ive never been lightweight I was nearly 15 stone at 18 which is why they gave me a Rugby Blue at school. After Uni I took up semi pro football in the old southern league and played for 15 years at 14 9... Never ever thought I should be 12 5. if I lost that sort of weight I would look like an escapee from Belsen.

I need to lose some admittedly and im aiming to hit 15 stone in the New year. My Doc says Excercise is more important than Diet so which is right??

Edited by Fisherman Mike

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this over weight stuff is rubbish mate! Long as your body fat % isn't excessivly high to make you un healthy your doing fine!

You could be 14 stone and 25% body fat or you could be 17 stone 10% body fat ... which one is going to look "over weight" ?

Dude I think my bodyfat is about 50% :lol:

My huge fastfood gut makes me look fat, I know I need to shed some inches big time! :good:

I've just had 6 weeks off because I was working away and on an all inclusive holiday. Did a 4 hour session on friday and thought I was going to puke/pass out. And my chest/arms still ache like ******* today. Oh well, means its working! :yes:

4 Hours :blink:

Weights or CV?

Took the dog around to dab an early pheasant and get the dog fit.... All I can say is it was very decent of the dog to wait while I got my breath back and wrung out my sweaty hat....... Two hours bashing through the thick stuff made me realise the dogs fit I ain't !!!!!

4 Hours :blink:

Weights or CV?

Both. Did 20 upper body exercises (bicep tricep back shoulders chest, 4 exercises on each part with 3 sets of 8-12 reps) with a bit of banter and a fair amount of letching too :yp: . Half an hour of cardio either end. Gives me a rough idea of what weights I need to be starting with when I go back to following my current program :)

J@mes not a great idea to do more than an hour of either otherwise your body is training for endurance rather than weight loss/muscle mass. Also, aching for days afterwards will put you off going. Start small and work up gradually.

All of us could be fitter, and I say that going to the gym 5-6 times a week.

. My Doc says Excercise is more important than Diet so which is right??

Sorry mate but I've done alot of research on the topic and its blatantly diet over exercise!

You can train for an hour and burn 1000 calories, you can eat 1000 calories in about 30 seconds depending on what you eat!

Something I've noticed is most people hugely underestimate the calories they eat, when they finally and properly record everything there normally over there maintenance!

I agree aswell, J@maes doing 4 hours a day is defo over training! A good hour a day will suffice and see results, doing that much you will burn out!

The amout of calories you need to eat to have the energy to do that will likely not be met, losing slowly is by far the best! Lose too far and you drop alot of muscle aswell so ur lighter but you won't look much better! :good: Its a marathon not a sprint lol

Having been fat all my life and never having control over food, I have lost 4 to 5 stone and hit the gym 5-6 times a week. I now bench press more than i way and do an hour on the cross trainer. Never felt better, feel like I've wasted my teens and 20's because I limited myself and had a limited mindset. Learnt a lot about myself through pushing rather than just being a victim and thinking 'nothing worked'

Sorry mate but I've done alot of research on the topic and its blatantly diet over exercise!

You can train for an hour and burn 1000 calories, you can eat 1000 calories in about 30 seconds depending on what you eat!

Something I've noticed is most people hugely underestimate the calories they eat, when they finally and properly record everything there normally over there maintenance!

Absolutely spot on, it makes me laugh when I hear people saying they can eat what they like as they burn it off exercising.

If you do a bit of exercise and have a phone with GPS, do your normal walk/run/ride/whatever with a sports tracker that will open your eyes.

I use Endomondo now but there are plenty of others.

I use it almost all the time now to measure distance but also to improve on time and speed for some rides.

But just as an example a 4.5 mile dog walk yesterday (including a cardiac hill) only burnt 442 calories - so about one pint of beer :yes:

I'm annoying, I'm 5'10 and bang in the middle of the BMI at 11.5 stone, I eat pretty well, but a lot of it, I drink lots of beer and my weight hasn't changed by a pound or two for years. I'm an incredibly nervy chap though, always bouncing my knees, feet etc.

I'm active at work, walk and shoot a lot, and have my sheep flock to look after in my free time, I wouldn't say I'm very cardio fit, but am fairly strong and have a pretty good muscular frame for my age.

I'm annoying, I'm 5'10 and bang in the middle of the BMI at 11.5 stone, I eat pretty well, but a lot of it, I drink lots of beer and my weight hasn't changed by a pound or two for years.

You have exactly the oppostie metabolism as me. I look at a couple of pints and I'll put on a pound. I have to smash every pound off me.

I'm not fit at all in my opinion.

I used to cycle all the time amd studied Tae-Kwon-Do for a number of years until I wrecked my knees in a motorbike off.

Since then my exercise has been mostly limited to walking the dog, but he has developed a heart murmer that causes him to fall over as soon as he exerts himself, so I no longer find myself walking the distances I used to.

Guess its down to the missus to give me a workout now, although I do feel I should be doing more.

Edited by 955i