Pheasant & Partridge shooting, Buckinghamshire - REVISED AFTER FEE

RossEM

Thanks for the feedback on pricing on our shoot, we've had a rethink and please have a look through the revised prices and structure and feel free to comment.

Valley View International and JARM Farm have joined together to provide our first season of driven pheasant and partridge across some 175 acres of the picturesque Missenden Valley, Buckinghamshire.

Our shoot is not for people who hope to get big bags, but is a perfect introduction to game shooting - we hope to shoot about 20-25 birds per day, including Pheasant and English Grey Partridge. Newcomers to shooting of any age are especially welcome, but there will be some testing targets! The terrain consists of hilly wooded areas which can provide very sporting birds, with one exceptional partridge & pheasant drive.

In the interests of the guns, we are arranging these days in two 3 day Syndicates.

Dates - 29th Oct, 12th Nov, 26th Nov, 10th Dec, 26th December (half day), 7th Jan, 21st Jan.

The Schedule:

8:00am Meet at Valley View clay shooting ground

8:15am Breakfast

9:00am Start morning drives

12:00pm Lunch

13:00pm Start afternoon drives

We'll finish roughly around 4:00pm, then back to the club house for dinner and drinks (£10pp, Breakfast & Lunch are included in the price.)

On top of all this, you then have the option of an evening duck flight - this is included in the price but we cannot guarantee numbers as these birds are wild.

Prices:

2 x £175 per day (6 guns)

4 x £150 per day (8 guns)

3 Days syndicate £470 (Half Gun)

6 Days Syndicate £925 (Full Gun)

Boxing day (half day shoot) £100

Reduced rate for a full team of guns.

Please note this a new shoot, with new pens and related equipment. We can assure you that we will offer you an excellent day's shooting on a friendly farm shoot.

To book, please call Adam on 07795 424590 or James on 07519 308136 - We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Adam Lund and James Matthews

Thanks for the feedback on pricing on our shoot, we've had a rethink and please have a look through the revised prices and structure and feel free to comment.

Valley View International and JARM Farm have joined together to provide our first season of driven pheasant and partridge across some 175 acres of the picturesque Missenden Valley, Buckinghamshire.

Our shoot is not for people who hope to get big bags, but is a perfect introduction to game shooting - we hope to shoot about 20-25 birds per day, including Pheasant and English Grey Partridge. Newcomers to shooting of any age are especially welcome, but there will be some testing targets! The terrain consists of hilly wooded areas which can provide very sporting birds, with one exceptional partridge & pheasant drive.

In the interests of the guns, we are arranging these days in two 3 day Syndicates.

Dates - 29th Oct, 12th Nov, 26th Nov, 10th Dec, 26th December (half day), 7th Jan, 21st Jan.

The Schedule:

8:00am Meet at Valley View clay shooting ground

8:15am Breakfast

9:00am Start morning drives

12:00pm Lunch

13:00pm Start afternoon drives

We'll finish roughly around 4:00pm, then back to the club house for dinner and drinks (£10pp, Breakfast & Lunch are included in the price.)

On top of all this, you then have the option of an evening duck flight - this is included in the price but we cannot guarantee numbers as these birds are wild.

Prices:

2 x £175 per day (6 guns) [b]6 x £175 = £1050 divided by 25 birds = £42 a bird ?????[/b]

4 x £150 per day (8 guns) 8 x £150 = £1200 divided by 25 birds = £48 per bird ???????

3 Days syndicate £470 (Half Gun)

6 Days Syndicate £925 (Full Gun)

Boxing day (half day shoot) £100

Reduced rate for a full team of guns.

Please note this a new shoot, with new pens and related equipment. We can assure you that we will offer you an excellent day's shooting on a friendly farm shoot.

To book, please call Adam on 07795 424590 or James on 07519 308136 - We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Adam Lund and James Matthews

wishfull thinking or what

No problem shooting Greys. Loads of shoots stock them on a put and take basis the same as pheasant and redlegs.

In fact this year with less money around and less shoots buying grey partridge for conservation reasons they were selling for less than red legs in most areas.

Unless you shoot 100% by definition you are re-introducing some.

almost worthless releasing greys for 'conservation purposes', any that survive to the next spring are extremeley poor breeders. Oddly released pheasants are much better parents than previously thought (the key is to feed rigt through until the summer). Releasing grey may well be detrimental to the wild stock, as it encourages the guns to shoot partridge when they should really be leaving them alone.

Much better encouraging any wild grey partridges, they are amazing birds and fantastic parents. Nothing wrong with shooting some once you have a healthy stock on the ground, don't shoot them once they have paired up though as they will be on their breeding territory and you are effectively removing a full covey from next years stock. Have a look at the GWCT website, they have some excellent advice for conserving wild greys.

As for the initial post - well overpriced, sub £30 per bird for that kind of shooting IMO.

I have one farm with many greys, a few years back they started to dwindle,

I spoke to an old and very experienced keeper friend and he asked if I shoot them, my reply was "no"

He told me to drive the coveys and ask the guns to only take the front birds, I asked him why and he told me that old grey cock birds become infurtile after a few years but still pair with hens and by shooting the front birds (the old boys get up first) they will come back in numbers.

I did this and it worked.

Edited by Elby

We've put down ex laying greys, hoping that a few will not be shot and may begin to repopulate the area. There were no partridges at all on this land previously - grey or redleg - so we couldn't see the harm in giving it a go. They seem to be making themselves at home, so we'll see.

With regards to the pricing of the shoot, we are not making ANY profit here - anyone who has started up a shoot from scratch will know that the set-up costs are very high and the labour is intensive.

What we are trying to do is to provide an introduction to driven game shooting - a 25 bag day including a variation of quarry, challenging targets, meals & drinks etc for £175 is not expensive in my opinion. It would be a fantastic xmas present for a young lad just getting into shooting, without the pressures and formalities of a day on a commercial game shoot.

The pricing is not 'per bird' - WE ARE NOT A COMMERCIAL SHOOT - is is for the experience of the day.

You could have 50 pheasant, 20 partridge, a couple of parakeets and a hare with wings driven over you over the course of a day's shooting - but if you don't hit anything, you will have paid £175 and got nothing back - if that's how you see it. I feel that shooting one decent memorable high bird is better that shooting 20 average ones.

We have a total of 10 available drives with 5 being shot each day (6 1/2 days in total).

Thanks

i am goin to stick up for the OP here why should he tell you how many he puts down try askin your local keeper how many he puts down, my old answer was always "enough" i think yes that it is overpriced i wouldnt pay to shoot there but if he can get £42 a bird then fair play to him. like he has said it will be more for taster/young shots and more about the experience than the bag.

good luck and keep us posted to how your season goes

i am goin to stick up for the OP here why should he tell you how many he puts down try askin your local keeper how many he puts down, my old answer was always "enough" i think yes that it is overpriced i wouldnt pay to shoot there but if he can get £42 a bird then fair play to him. like he has said it will be more for taster/young shots and more about the experience than the bag.

good luck and keep us posted to how your season goes

Bloody obvious really, 1. how many birds can you hold on 175 acres, 2. if he puts down 50 birds and shoots 6x25 bird days the maths don't add up.

My answer when people ask how many I put down is the same as the amount I put down, the only reason I can see a keeper wouldn't tell is that his/her returns aint so good.

And for the record I wish this guy all the luck in the world with his shoot, the right info will help his prospective clients make an informed decision.

still none of your business mate i have mates on some of the biggest shoots in the costwolds i know what they put down and the returns but they wouldnt tell the beaters/pickersup and certainly not joe blogs on an internet forum how many they put down just as i never told anyone other than the people i trusted. their returns are good just as mine were at the end of the day yes this new shoot is expensive as it has been stated to the OP other than that it is his place to decide what he whats/thinks he can charge if it is too much the shoot will either fold or he will have to reduce the price per bird. if the OP would like to get hold of me through PM i have some advice ideas that may help you.

still none of your business mate i have mates on some of the biggest shoots in the costwolds i know what they put down and the returns but they wouldnt tell the beaters/pickersup and certainly not joe blogs on an internet forum how many they put down just as i never told anyone other than the people i trusted. their returns are good just as mine were at the end of the day yes this new shoot is expensive as it has been stated to the OP other than that it is his place to decide what he whats/thinks he can charge if it is too much the shoot will either fold or he will have to reduce the price per bird. if the OP would like to get hold of me through PM i have some advice ideas that may help you.

Of course it's my business you idiot.

Unlike your super mates my little shoot is just 900 acres, I couldn't sell 8x100 bird days on there and put dowm 500 birds.

the guy is asking for syndicate guns, anybody that joins a syndicate is more than entitled to know exactly how the shoot is run.

You also need reminding that the op is advertising his shoot to "joe bloggs on an internet forum"

The best advice I can give to the op is not bothering to pm you, mainly because you aint got the brains you were born with.

obviously i must be an idiot, i ran two shoots almost single handed and we shot 43 odd days a season with bags from 150 to 400. i can understand where you are coming from wanting to know i suppose its just me i wouldnt let anyone know what i would put down just the way i was trained. i know for a fact that we my old boss nor i advertised the amount we put down but the shoots has a good rep so never had a problem getting rid of days. if he wishes to tell you that is for him to decided. i shall retract my offer of advice as i dont know what i am on about. elby i wish you good luck with your season and am sorry if you took my posts the wrong way

obviously i must be an idiot, i ran two shoots almost single handed and we shot 43 odd days a season with bags from 150 to 400. i can understand where you are coming from wanting to know i suppose its just me i wouldnt let anyone know what i would put down just the way i was trained. i know for a fact that we my old boss nor i advertised the amount we put down but the shoots has a good rep so never had a problem getting rid of days. if he wishes to tell you that is for him to decided. i shall retract my offer of advice as i dont know what i am on about. elby i wish you good luck with your season and am sorry if you took my posts the wrong way

Ok fair enough but please explain to me what you could possibly gain from not telling people how many birds you put down.