Truffle hunting

FalconFN

Anyone on here hunt for truffles?

I found my first black summer truffles today - very exciting. They are quite big (the biggest is nearly 3" across)but they don't smell very strongly so is it too late in the season, or too early? I can't get a definative answer anywhere on the net.

I found my first black summer truffles today - very exciting. They are quite big (the biggest is nearly 3" across)but they don't smell very strongly so is it too late in the season, or too early? I can't get a definative answer anywhere on the net.

Tell us more!!

Piggy? Hound?

Badger ****.! :lol:

Had a Clumber when I was younger she used to find plenty of truffles in the beechwoods along the Cotswold escarpments.. I used to sell them to a poncy restaurant in Cheltenham for £20 - 30 each.

Bought my first Motorbike with the proceeds a 250 CC Honda Superdream...

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Tell us more!!

Piggy? Hound?

Cocker (sort of). I've done some very basic training - burying small potatoes covered in truffle oil and getting her to find them - but only 2 or 3 times so I didn't hold out much hope. I took her to a likely spot and got her to sniff around and when she took an interest in an area I'd have look but there were so many rabbit holes, pigeon poo etc that she was all over the place. I eventually found the first one where she had stopped but, to be honest, I think it was more luck than skill as they have very little smell. Anyway, had a look nearby and found several more.

They taste quite nice, sort of earthy, mushroomy and nutty but not very strong.

I'll get a pic up later.

Cocker (sort of). I've done some very basic training - burying small potatoes covered in truffle oil and getting her to find them - but only 2 or 3 times so I didn't hold out much hope. I took her to a likely spot and got her to sniff around and when she took an interest in an area I'd have look but there were so many rabbit holes, pigeon poo etc that she was all over the place. I eventually found the first one where she had stopped but, to be honest, I think it was more luck than skill as they have very little smell. Anyway, had a look nearby and found several more.

I'll get a pic up later.

Well done :good:

There was an article in Shooting Times about truffles earlier this year, but I'm stuffed if I can remember whether black or white are the most desirable.

I fancied training my dog up, just for the hell of it, but one of the guys at work was convinced he would become a millionaire from truffle hunting. He's now unemployed :lol: :lol: :lol:

They're Tuber uncinatum, common name Black autumn truffle sometimes called the English truffle. Currently in season and they're fetching £1.0 per gram retail.You're right they do not smell strongly and have rather a delicate flavour.One of my favourite uses is top off my variation of eggs benedict with a few thin slivers or top off scrambled eggs with smoked salmon on toast,they're apparently quite good in sauces but never tried cos at the price they are they seem to get used on just those 2 dishes.

Mike...

They're Tuber uncinatum, common name Black autumn truffle sometimes called the English truffle. Currently in season and they're fetching £1.0 per gram retail.You're right they do not smell strongly and have rather a delicate flavour.One of my favourite uses is top off my variation of eggs benedict with a few thin slivers or top off scrambled eggs with smoked salmon on toast,they're apparently quite good in sauces but never tried cos at the price they are they seem to get used on just those 2 dishes.

Mike...

Great, thanks for the information, just what I was after. :good:

Well impressive that......well done. I did, a few years back, go to a Beech wood and started lying close to the ground at the base of the trees looking for areas where small groups of flies could be seen hovering in the sunlight above the buried truffles, which they do apparently? (well, so they say :blink: ) didn't find any truffles but was quite pleased my efforts went unnoticed by dog walkers etc :lol:

I buy Truffle Oil to put on scrambled eggs but would like to try the real thing, the oil I have at the moment is very strong, literally a couple of spots is plenty enough :good:

They like calciferous soil (above chalk and limestone) and can be found under beech and oak trees in open woodland. Apparently quite a few are found in parks and gardens as well. I did as much research as I could first and then picked a couple of likely spots, then it's just a matter of luck.

• 3 years later...

Tell us more!!

Piggy? Hound?

when are you coming back then fella ?

I'll get a pic up later.

any luck this year Falcon ?