Rabbiting

Ghostrider1979

Guys,

I'm in real need of help I been out hunting about 6 times now and not a sniff of a bunny. I'm sure I'm doing things wrong so can one of you experts on here give me step by step details on how to have success. I need specific details time of day, weather conditions, stalk or stay put the lot! Also some advice on lamping would be great.

Dean

Ps I have seen rabbits and lots of them where I go but when I sit tight they never seem to come out.

Look for fresh signs,runs,droppings ect and park up 35 yd ish downwind from the run. Park yourself, keep out of sight and quiet and wallop. If you've seen them where you shoot you should see where they run to cover. This will be thier favourite (or one of) runs. Practice the basics and be patient and it'll come. Haven't been doing it for long myself but am into double figure already. Generally a couple a shoot with the obligitary blank day every few trips.

There is lots of hunting tips on youtube. Huntersvermin explains things well. set up an hour or so before dawn/dusk thats their favourite time. I've found if hunting at night they tend to go further into the fields away from the edges.

Once again I'm still green myself and no doubt you'll get much better advice, but the best way to learn is to keep crackin on with it and figure it out. I found out not to pee off a young bull pdq those frickers can run.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Edited by nobby

Look for fresh signs,runs,droppings ect and park up 35 yd ish downwind from the run. Park yourself, keep out of sight and quiet and wallop. If you've seen them where you shoot you should see where they run to cover. This will be thier favourite (or one of) runs. Practice the basics and be patient and it'll come. Haven't been doing it for long myself but am into double figure already. Generally a couple a shoot with the obligitary blank day every few trips.

There is lots of hunting tips on youtube. Huntersvermin explains things well.

How long should I go out for before I call it a day and how long should I stay in one area before moving on?

Depends on site to site generally if they haven't shown in 45 mins then I move on but thats mainly as my *** starts to hurt. I have one place where I have waited hours and not a sign and others ten minutes does the job. It's down to how long you can wait but even if they aint bounding out in range you will see them emerge elsewhere which gives you another mark. There is no science that I've found mate just got to try and think like a rabbit (or a fugitive hidding from the cops) if there any reason for them not to show then they wont.

Wish I could help with lamping but only had a couple of trips out myself. But having some success.

Edited by nobby

Are you just shooting during the day? Some areas only see rabbits at night or very early morning.

I have been shooting morning, afternoon, tea time and night time we always see rabbits when we first enter the fields but once we are in position we don't see them again and that includes sitting in one spot for over an hour. Lol

Are you just shooting during the day? Some areas only see rabbits at night or very early morning.

:thumbs: My permission is the same, they start to appear very slowly at dusk and I'm not allowed to lamp :( and I can'tget out of bed in the morning.

I think rabbits that don't see alot of people can be very skittish at the slightest sound/wiff of someone about, Is anyone shooting or lamping the same ground ? that wouldn't be helping none.

I have been shooting morning, afternoon, tea time and night time we always see rabbits when we first enter the fields but once we are in position we don't see them again and that includes sitting in one spot for over an hour. Lol

cant you therefore enter at a different point in the field?

getting in position??

how far away when you see them, how close can you get before they run off?, normally Id wait 20 minutes max, and would get rabbits coming back out, if yours are not, there must be other reasons, ie, wind in wrong direction, or you say "we" in which case your talking to much, try shooting on your own, its always better, is one of you smelling like a tarts hankerchief

As mentioned, there may be more than one reason why they run that you don't even know about.

One of my perms has got fox and cat visitors.

Of course they will always be better hunters than us and you don't always know they are there cos they defo will be down wind and stealthy in all ways.

Sometimes if I get chance I will just sit at all times of the day/night and try to work out what is going on.

HB

Don't wear any kind of fragrance - and dont use washing powder or fabric conditioner on your hunting gear. Wear a face mask and gloves - especially if you are pale skinned. Being stationary is one of the best tricks for rabbit, they don't see very well but almost any kind of movement will put them on alert.

Don't wear any kind of fragrance - and dont use washing powder or fabric conditioner on your hunting gear. Wear a face mask and gloves - especially if you are pale skinned. Being stationary is one of the best tricks for rabbit, they don't see very well but almost any kind of movement will put them on alert.

please can you tell me why

If you walk directly at one (I.e no others around) you can get very close. This is because a rabbit cannot judge distance as eye in side of head not like predator (fox/human) thus if you walk directly at them (no latteral movement) then as far as rabbit concerned you are a stationary object. It is only when it realises you are a much bigger stationary object or if they can see parts of you move latterally they will bolt.

Try it out, with practice you can close ranges

If you walk directly at one (I.e no others around) you can get very close. This is because a rabbit cannot judge distance as eye in side of head not like predator (fox/human) thus if you walk directly at them (no latteral movement) then as far as rabbit concerned you are a stationary object. It is only when it realises you are a much bigger stationary object or if they can see parts of you move latterally they will bolt.

Try it out, with practice you can close ranges

That's one of the best tips you'll ever get. :good:

I shoot regular on my permission with a 12 gauge and I find nice sunny evenings are best . The rabbits sit out in the open and I can get a clear shot from 30-40 yards.Also down wind is essential and no aftershave or strong deodrants can help .Move very slowly as you stalk them . I have taken 20 minutes to stalk 1 rabbit , taking 1 step when he looks down and so on .Patience is good .

please can you tell me why

My dad (who's dead now) was a poacher and used to get red deer, what he did was soak all his poaching clothing in a bath of warm water filled with pine needles and moss, then hang it out to air dry. He also never washed with soap or used deoderant before going out. :)

(mum wasn't thrilled at the state of the bath afterwards though :lol: )

My dad (who's dead now) was a poacher and used to get red deer, what he did was soak all his poaching clothing in a bath of warm water filled with pine needles and moss, then hang it out to air dry. He also never washed with soap or used deoderant before going out. :)

(mum wasn't thrilled at the state of the bath afterwards though :lol: )

When I was stalking alot my coats had deer urine dribbled on them, worked well. To well once, a mad red stag came for me once! I had walked between him and his ladies :/

U