Eley .22LR Ammo change

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found ejection/extraction probs with the new ones had to move over to Winnies.

Ain't that a fact - it gets to a point where you have to fire them off to get them out - and that's still after the wax has been wiped off. Tried using one of those flat (usually green or brown) scouring pads (part worn) but still no good, 20 odd rounds and useless. Shame as they're the most accurate in my rifle.

Going to retry Winnies but am I right, anyone, in thinking you can get CCI in lead as opposed to the copper washed ones which weren't too clever?

Yes I considered cci leads but went with rfds advice bard overwhelmingly on units sold and went for winnie.

Re copper cci I bought 50 over 5 yrs ago and still have about 40!

Many thanks. I changed to Eley from Winnies because they were better but I can't be doing with all this. As you can get the CCI in just lead (the copper wash was good in my previous rifle), I'll try them before committing to the Winnies again.

Can anyone help out here, please?

I have a box of Winchester subsonic 'super x' rounds left over from pre Eley days. Are these the same (ie, purely a packaging change) to the ones advertised in the usual top right corner here? Also, can we/will we be able to get the Aussie 42 grainers here?

I picked up the new style eley about a fortnight ago and have had the extraction problem on 5 occasions in my first 100 rounds, that 5 more than in my last 1000 of the older style. I might try them sk's as they are meant to be good, not sure you can really improve on eleys accuracy wise but I don't like the idea of accidentally leaving a round in when lamping, it's a small chance but still not worth risking it.

Has anyone complained to eley?

Gary

I used eley subsonic hollows and for unknown reason i thought i would try winnies,they do not hit as hard as the eleys or have the stopping power,not buying them ever again and will go back to eleys,that was till i read this thread :o and no way am i using the cci rounds :hmm: what now....

I used eley subsonic hollows and for unknown reason i thought i would try winnies,they do not hit as hard as the eleys or have the stopping power,not buying them ever again and will go back to eleys,that was till i read this thread :o and no way am i using the cci rounds :hmm: what now....

rws

fiocchi

remington

magtec

to name a few i have tried

colin

ive got the new eleys no probs so far.What are sks??

Hi.

What are the new Eleys - could you describe the box? The batch number would be very helpful. Many thanks, in advance.

Someone on the other thread asked if anyone had been on to Eley - I just have and will post the reply.

I'm down to my last few so have to get something - does anyone know where to get the SKs by any chance?

Cheers

went out last night to zero new scope and the eleys were producing good groups ie all in a 5p at 50 yards with no jams.But wont eject live shells first time.Gun used cz 452 american.Winchesters ejected ok but groups slightly bigger.

eley box says subsonic hollow has pic of a target and a rabbit on it. batch number 3511-3006

I'm told and it could well be right that Lapua don't do subs - at least I can't find any for sale. I've found some SKs and, again, am told, they are made by Lapua.

Yep, same box and my batch no. is 3511-30146. I think the muck that they're coated in - paraffin wax - is so that they cycle in self-loaders.

Unless I get something sensible back from Eley, I'm going to pack them in as accurate as they are. The more you fire the bolt gets progressively harder to close and the unfired rounds won't extract - you either have to poop them off as the bolt won't open at all or, and potentially lethal especially when lamping (dark) the bolt opens but the round stays in the chamber. I'm really waiting to see what Eley say about this bit.

I'm using an older BRNO semi auto, and it seems to eat up Winnies, but I've had a good/bad batches of Eley (which I'd rather use from experience). The current lot seems to jam a lot more than I'd ever had with Winchester.

OK, I've heard from Eley. They have a team set up to investigate my problem and need some information from me to assist in their research. They want to know:

A. the age of my rifle.

B. The date of purchase and last service and,

C. What barrel am I using.

That's it; there's no questions about the ammmo.

Has anyone got any inkling from those questions what they think might be at fault?

After a struggle I've got my sticky little fingers on 500 SKs. Let's see how we get on!

OK, Guys.

I've just replied to Eley and to reinforce my point of view (thanks AM, may need you) I have just verniered some RWS, SK and Winchester. Bearing in mind we're talking soft lead here so we'll allow some leeway. These three came in, as you'd expect, at 0.223 to 4. The Eley produced 0.225 to 6.

So if you've got a problem with closing the bolt, the bolt refusing to open until you poop the chambered round off or the bolt opening but leaving the live round in the chamber, - measure the diameter of the round. My shooting oppo has always said, without being able to say why, that the rounds seem to be impinging on the rifling. All I can say is that being oversize would/could well give that impression.