Best Calibre for Foxes?

labstaff

Depends a lot on your needs? .223 is a common all rounder. .22-250 is flatter shooting but more harsh to shoot and do you really need it? Hornet will do the job out to 150 yards or more and is very mild. If they're really close and you need to be extremely discrete even a .22lr will do it if you know where to hit them!

I guess it depends what range you plan to shoot to and how quiet/cheap you need it to be? :look:

I was wondering what rounds ppeople recommend for foxes. I was thinking .222 but i've heard good things about .223. What does everyone recommend?

people will say that what they use is best,Iam going to say 243AI as I use one,I wont kill any more foxes than the guy who recomends a 222,dead is dead,energy,veloicty and distance is the things to think about

basically any of the popular calibers will do what you ask of it,you have to decide on what distance you will be shooting at.

222,223,22.250 all cracking varmint calibers I would go for a 22.250 as it has the extra legs and can be down loaded if you need to save a few pence on powder if your going to reload,if not 222 or 223 factory ammo will be cheaper than a 22.250 so look at those

I know of a cracking 222 set up for sale if thats your thing for not a lot of money

Ive been using a 308 for the past 5 years, but am about to get my 243. I would say whatever you want/need, if I wanted a designated foxing rifle, I would got for 22-250 everyday of the week! Fast, Flat, and punchy, but you use whatever you have available, either in your cabinet/mates cabinet, or your hands!

Depends on useage. Loads of shooters wax on about how the .223 isn't as good as 22-250 at range (with 95% of shooters this extra range is beyond thier personal abilities or experiance anyhow). Balistically very little beats the .243 with the 70-87 grn right bullet, yet in many circumstances "less is more" for that reason i have two dedicated Fox rifes a .22 Hornet for quiet effective fox and vermin work to 200 yds or so and the .243 for the wild windy weather and long shots across the fell. There realy is such a thing as too much gun at times and i suppose for many the .223 and 222 fit all thier needs very well. Oh 22-250 and .243 etc burn barrels way faster than .223, 222 and .22 Hornet. so there is a price to pay other than ammo

I like the 22.250 better than the .243 as its a lot faster and flatter shooting,be glad when my new scope rings come to put my new scope back on the 22.250 and start using it again but still shot a lot of foxes with the .243 which I am using at the moment.If i could only have one gun for foxes then it would be a 22.250 every time.

Lots to think about. I would't be shooting any further than 250 yards. I've also got to think about the cost implication of the rifle and the rounds. Thanks for all the replies!!!

The 223 will fill this window near perfect, but 250yds takes more practice than many appriciate especially if there is some wind about :good:

How far away are these foxes? All 22CF will work up to 150 yards, Hornet falls away a bit thereafter. 222 is good for 250, 223 300 and 22-250 350. please don't take issue with the distances, they are not set in stone! Just making the point that it's drop that governs them.

222 and 223 are similar for noise and recoil - I have both.

If you're shooting factory ammo, then 223. Makes life much easier.

I have a 223 ,243 and 270 and got to admit my weapon of choice for foxing is the 223 first,followed by the 270 then the 243,my reasoning for this being that I shoot over some large fields and like the fact that the 223 (50gr)and the 270(110gr) have very similar ballistics where as the 243 drops off faster.But thats my choice.

To be honest Kent I was thinking as an either option. Must say I like Henry D's idea of applying for .22 centre fire. I thought i'd have to state a calibre.

To be honest Kent I was thinking as an either option. Must say I like Henry D's idea of applying for .22 centre fire. I thought i'd have to state a calibre.