Very enlightening morning at Tim Greenwoods......

Nicky T

Decided to treat the 682 to some well earnt tlc after a couple of hard seasons of use so took the plunge and took a trip down to visit Tim Greenwood in Kent. Tim's place is the proverbial Alladins Cave of anything and everything gun related and I could have easily spent a whole day looking and learning from what was there :yes:

Anyway down to business; after a brew and a chat Tim got down to business and very thoroughly went through my existing gun fit and mount and to my surprise identified several areas, including the cast and length of the stock, that he recommended we delve a little deeper into. Having ascertained what I wanted to get out of shooting we came to the conclusion that "close enough" wasn't going to cut the mustard and the quest for perfection began by various bits of my existing set-up being removed and rejigged using masking tape to demonstrate the difference that a "proper" set up could make :good:

Needless to say this wasn't time wasted and reafirmed my belief that there is substance behind having your gun properly fitted by someone who really is in the know :yes: Up until today I thought that mine was, but to say that this morning was an eye-opener would be somewhat of an understatement :lol:

Tim then asked me about the service history of the gun and as I asked questions, Tim explained the various reasons and answers for each and every question that I posed in much greater detail that I was expecting. We agreed on a list of work that Tim is going to undertake on the 682 including some considerable adjustment of the cast and length of stock and i left happy in the knowledge that my 682 should be back by early December for a run out :yes:

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable day and a pleasure to meet someone who is a professional as Tim :good:

Decided to treat the 682 to some well earnt tlc after a couple of hard seasons of use so took the plunge and took a trip down to visit Tim Greenwood in Kent. Tim's place is the proverbial Alladins Cave of anything and everything gun related and I could have easily spent a whole day looking and learning from what was there :yes:

Anyway down to business; after a brew and a chat Tim got down to business and very thoroughly went through my existing gun fit and mount and to my surprise identified several areas, including the cast and length of the stock, that he recommended we delve a little deeper into. Having ascertained what I wanted to get out of shooting we came to the conclusion that "close enough" wasn't going to cut the mustard and the quest for perfection began by various bits of my existing set-up being removed and rejigged using masking tape to demonstrate the difference that a "proper" set up could make :good:

Needless to say this wasn't time wasted and reafirmed my belief that there is substance behind having your gun properly fitted by someone who really is in the know :yes: Up until today I thought that mine was, but to say that this morning was an eye-opener would be somewhat of an understatement :lol:

Tim then asked me about the service history of the gun and as I asked questions, Tim explained the various reasons and answers for each and every question that I posed in much greater detail that I was expecting. We agreed on a list of work that Tim is going to undertake on the 682 including some considerable adjustment of the cast and length of stock and i left happy in the knowledge that my 682 should be back by early December for a run out :yes:

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable day and a pleasure to meet someone who is a professional as Tim :good:

Hi Nick,

Just curious as to why/how did you decide on Tim Greenwood? There are plenty of gunshops/gun fitters between here and Kent!

Andy

Hi Nick,

Just curious as to why/how did you decide on Tim Greenwood? There are plenty of gunshops/gun fitters between here and Kent!

Andy

Decision was based purely on Tims reputation for quality

work and attention to detail; that and I wanted to ensure that I'd be sufficiently tired to sleep on the flight to SA tomorrow :lol:

Edited by Nicky T

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I blame myself partially for Nick straying so far from home :rolleyes: I met Nick at the South Downs Masters, when we were on the same squad and I had visisted Tim the Wednesday before and was talking about what had happened there. I knew that my gun fitted as it was done professionally, and I was shooting reasonably well. A few problems arose when I found out that I didn't fit the gun myself - the nose of the comb was too far forward causing my hand to jump forward when I had shot the first bird on a pair and my hand extended off the grip when I held it properly. I went to Tim purely because I was down south for the Masters. I was glad that I did!

He told me to mount my gun, and went on to say 'you miss one or two and you don't know why!' and 'At the end of a 100 birder, you're shoulder, neck and back ache!' - He must have read my mind! He suggested that he brought the rear of the comb up parallel to the rib and to drop the butt pad right down to simulate a 'Monte Carlo' stock. He than sent me off to West Kent ground for a shoot. Big improvement and I went on to shoot the Masters with varying success due to having a strange gun :blush:

I then went back in October to have my grip carved, as I was so impressed with the other alterations - The Miroku is now even more brilliant and I just have to get used to it again, and as soon as I am away on business again, I will be sending it back to him for refinishing (Google 'Marmite Gun' for more info.) I'd upload piccies, if I could work out how!

All in all, very impressed with Tim's work, extensive knowledge and 'proper' workshop - A genuinely nice guy, and a pleasure to do business with :good:

http://www.greenwoodgunsmiths.co.uk/ for a look at what he does - I have no ulteria motive, just a satisfied customer :)

Just had a phonecall from Tim with an update on the progress of my 682 - can't wait to get it back in a few more weeks :yes::good:

I wonder if i also spied some pictures of Nitroxdiver's gun in the latest (December) edition of Clay Shooting Magazine this morning too :yp:

Edited by Nicky T

• 3 weeks later...

I would have come but I have had enough of shooting in gale force winds and hailstone this month :lol:

I gathered that bit :lol:

Where you shooting on Sunday ?

It actually wasn't that bad today st MCSC :no:

Shooting the members comp on Sundy at MCSC, then a couple of weeks off before the Hodnet Chsllenge ;)

Had the stock re-cast, a full service and a Jones Adjuter system fitted. Very different but liking it!