WHAT CAN I DO WITH THIS?

Frank

As i mentioned in my goat cull post in sprting pictures, i sracthed my stock this morning going under a barbed wire fence. :yp: :/:lol:

It seems to be a surface sratch. Pic below is a bit fuzzy, could not get camera to focus :lol: , but it shows what im on about.

Is their a way to get rid of it, or would it be fine do you think?

Opinions welcomed, thanks.

Pic below.

Frank.

ooohh nasty i hate it when ya scratch your pride and joy off subject :yp: if ya want to take better pics close up put ya camera to macro its a pic of a flower should be on ya camera it should take really nice close ups then .

i will wait for the good pic, but it looks like you might have just scratched the varnish or what ever finish it is? if so it might be possible to polish the scratch out of it?

sorry scratches arnt something i have had much success sorting, its a real shame thats a great looking long gun you have.

i will wait for the good pic, but it looks like you might have just scratched the varnish or what ever finish it is? if so it might be possible to polish the scratch out of it?

sorry scratches arnt something i have had much success sorting, its a real shame thats a great looking long gun you have.

Yes, it does seem that the varnish has mainly been sracthed. Hopefully i can iron it out. :yp:

Cheers Nick. :/

Varnish finishes are an absolute pain.

The only long-term solution would be to strip off the varnish and convert it to an oil-finished stock. Thereafter frequent applications of oil will keep the stock "Up to scratch" (pardon the pun) :yp: :/

If you have scratched the varnish, water will inevitably get under the varnish and start to discolour and lift it anyway.

I have done this to a couple of my guns, and it works OK.

I remember selling a Browning B1 shotgun because the stock was beautiful and it was a shame to take it into a pigeon hide in case it got scratched.

Don

Frank! Dont worry, it happens to all of us :yp: I was selling my lvley 'Mint Condition' Webley rifle, and the day before I sold it, I decide to take it for one more zero/hunt. The invitable happened, and I scraped it badly on barbed wire. Buyer was not too pleased, so I reduced the price.

The best thing I can suggest, (if its a glossy/medium gloss stock) is to first of all VERY gentley rub down the scratch using 000 grade wire wool, with a tad of gun oil. If you dont use oil, it will scratch. After that, wipe oil away, and clean with white spirit to remove oil. If your lucky this will have sorted it. Unlucky, and you may have to touch it up with gloss enamel of some sort. I have just finished fixing my shotgun stock which had a big patch of bubbled/missing varnish. Was not a good sight.. but I popped into the local moddle shop and bought some enamel, and a small brush. I did some close up makro shots, you should be able to see where it was bad.

Hope you get it sorted!

9140198f.jpg

cbb3ac6d.jpg

P.S, Frank, the most important thing with close up shots is to have good light so the autofocus works properly.

Varnish finishes are an absolute pain.

The only long-term solution would be to strip off the varnish and convert it to an oil-finished stock. Thereafter frequent applications of oil will keep the stock "Up to scratch" (pardon the pun) :no: :yp:

If you have scratched the varnish, water will inevitably get under the varnish and start to discolour and lift it anyway.

I have done this to a couple of my guns, and it works OK.

I remember selling a Browning B1 shotgun because the stock was beautiful and it was a shame to take it into a pigeon hide in case it got scratched.

Don

Thanks Don.

I actually think its not varnished at all but oiled. As it doesent seem to have a clossy look on it, but looking at the scratch, it has a sort of film over the oiled stocked. :/

Sorry, im tying to explain it, i hope you can understand what im saying. :lol: :yp:

I hope you can get it sorted Frank.

This is one of the reasons why i always go for synthetic stocks now.

Yes miffy, i can see why now. :lol:

Frank! Dont worry, it happens to all of us :no: I was selling my lvley 'Mint Condition' Webley rifle, and the day before I sold it, I decide to take it for one more zero/hunt. The invitable happened, and I scraped it badly on barbed wire. Buyer was not too pleased, so I reduced the price.

The best thing I can suggest, (if its a glossy/medium gloss stock) is to first of all VERY gentley rub down the scratch using 000 grade wire wool, with a tad of gun oil. If you dont use oil, it will scratch. After that, wipe oil away, and clean with white spirit to remove oil. If your lucky this will have sorted it. Unlucky, and you may have to touch it up with gloss enamel of some sort. I have just finished fixing my shotgun stock which had a big patch of bubbled/missing varnish. Was not a good sight.. but I popped into the local moddle shop and bought some enamel, and a small brush. I did some close up makro shots, you should be able to see where it was bad.

Hope you get it sorted!

9140198f.jpg

cbb3ac6d.jpg

P.S, Frank, the most important thing with close up shots is to have good light so the autofocus works properly.

Thanks very much Hunter, great info. :D

Im going to post the picture again, this time ill try it with more light. :no:

The stock you have in the pic, is not like mine, as mine seems to be oiled. Ill post that pic.

Im glad I have a 19" screen, as tha picture only just fits into it :lol:

If you can make it smaller, it will be clearer :yp:

Frank, if its not varnished, first try the light wire wool, and after work some oil, or stock wax into the damaged area. It wont fill it in, but it will remove the white line which is the worst bit :/

Im glad I have a 19" screen, as tha picture only just fits into it :lol:

If you can make it smaller, it will be clearer :/

Ok Hunter, ill srink it a bit.

Here it is again, a wee bit smaller. :yp:

Dont know if this will make a difference Hunter, i hope it does.

Exactly. It doesnt stop the darn sheep escaping here either. Big thick wool coat means the barbed wire is covered in sheep fur because they stratch themselves with it :yp: other then that, it just cuts people crossing the fence.

Ok for security, but I doubt it stops most animals.

I nearly cought me watsits when I tripped crossing a fence.. lucky the fence wasnt too tall, or it could have got ugly

You can buy the red oil for stock finishing ( should cover your scratch nicely) from most good gunsmiths or over the web from avalon guns etc. I have refinished two gunstocks one using the CCL kit which is very long winded, it takes about a fortnight in dust free conditions to get a good finish, but it is magnificent. Then I used the Napier kit which is easier but I found did not fill the grain as well as the other kit. It is well worth the effort

Ft

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...showtopic=18596

You can buy the red oil for stock finishing ( should cover your scratch nicely) from most good gunsmiths or over the web from avalon guns etc. I have refinished two gunstocks one using the CCL kit which is very long winded, it takes about a fortnight in dust free conditions to get a good finish, but it is magnificent. Then I used the Napier kit which is easier but I found did not fill the grain as well as the other kit. It is well worth the effort

Ft

Cheers FT :yp:

As my stock is walnut, would walnut oil do the trick? If i smooth the scratch out, like Hunter said, then rub in walnut oil with my hand around the sratch. Would this work?

Frank,

Buy my spare CZ stock that will fix it :/

I am not sure they are walnut BTW, not that that matters at all, if it is varnished you cold get it all off and go for an oil finish, and while you are doing that sand the scratch out if it is that deep.

It's a lot of bother just for that, I would be tempted to run something into it to make it the same colour as the rest and then leave it be, you are bound to pick up the odd dink in the field sooner or later.

As Miffy says, plastic is the way forward :yp:

Frank,

Buy my spare CZ stock that will fix it :no:

I am not sure they are walnut BTW, not that that matters at all, if it is varnished you cold get it all off and go for an oil finish, and while you are doing that sand the scratch out if it is that deep.

It's a lot of bother just for that, I would be tempted to run something into it to make it the same colour as the rest and then leave it be, you are bound to pick up the odd dink in the field sooner or later.

As Miffy says, plastic is the way forward :/

:yp: Id probably would of bought that off you Stuart, if it wasn't for the crazy laws over here, even when it comes to stocks, the police are paronoid. :yp:

So, do you think rubbing walmut oul into it Stuart would do the job?

Cheers,

Frank.

This is EXACLTY the reason i bought a few cheap guns to use in the field.

If i scratch them i couldn't give a fig as they are cheapo's

I keep my pride and joy for when i eventually get round to a game shoot :lol:

LG

Makes sense LG. :D

I think im worrying too much really, its a work rifle anyway, bound to get a knock or 2, ill rub some walnut oil into and get on with it i think.

Cheers all. :lol:

Frank.

Ft

Cheers FT :no:

As my stock is walnut, would walnut oil do the trick? If i smooth the scratch out, like Hunter said, then rub in walnut oil with my hand around the sratch. Would this work?

Frank, a stain of some sort is what you need, but start light and make several applications to get the required colour, as Rob G says you can use boot polish but i don't think a little bottle of red root oil (gunstock stain) will break the bank.

Ft

Ft

Cheers FT :no:

Frank, a stain of some sort is what you need, but start light and make several applications to get the required colour, as Rob G says you can use boot polish but i don't think a little bottle of red root oil (gunstock stain) will break the bank.

Ft

Cheers FT, all taken on board. :no: