Neutrino experiment repeated - light speed broken again

Catweazle

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there any point to what there doing over there? it might just be but doe anyone care if they can make something go quicker than the speed of light or make a black hole?

From what I can gather they are trying to harness the energy that may or may not be released when they make very small thing collide at very high speeds.

It is pure scientific experimentation that may (and probably will) have a profound effect on the way we understand the universe, the bi-products of this understanding will change the technologies that we use every day. Electricity was considered to be a curiosity and of little practical value when it was first discovered.

The biggest problem with Einsteins theory is that NOTHING can travel faster than the speed of light.

If it can, then the Theory of Relativity is pants and it is possible to travel backwards or forwards in time.

If that is eventually possible, maybe the first guy to try it will go back in time and kill hitler, thus changing the future, which he came from.

It may be that in the new future he has created by killing hitler that he is not conceived and therefore no longer exists. Wierd stuff.

The current favourite theory is that because of the incredibly high energies involved, the neutrinos are somehow tunneling through extra dimensional space i.e. outside our three dimensions and bypassing our space where they travel more slowly. Some string theories predict 10 dimensions most of which are "curled" up at atomic level. It might be here that they are travelling.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21188-more-data-shows-neutrinos-still-faster-than-light.html

Me thinks they might have a loose connection somewhere :lol: . They are spending a great amount of money to prove what? :hmm: The (string) thoeries of someone in the scientific community are wrong, Einsteins thoery of the speed of light is wrong. Does this really matter to the man on the street, who has not got a clue as to the formulas these peeps come up with all the time. I don't think anything will change in the world as we know it either way. Surely that money would be better spent elsewhere ???

To those who see no point in this, a few points:

1. Extending mankind's knowledge of the universe is one of the most noblest of ideals and should always be pursued, it's what makes our species great, we as a species waste LOTS of money on all sorts of **** , scientific pursuits is actually very low on countries budgets (unfortunately).

2. The mind set of "What good can come of this? do something more useful" is an awful mindset. with that mindset we would still be in the stone age, For example:

Microwave Ovens

penicillin

Teflon

Vulcanized Rubber

Plastic

Radioactivity

Pacemaker

All discovered by... accident, whistle doing "pointless" experiments.

3. Again, if the pursuit of knowledge is seen as pointless to some people then here's another example: The space race. Going to the moon seems pretty pointless right? the inventions and scientific developments that DIRECTLY resulted in going to the moon include (but not limited to):

Kidney dialysis machines

CAT scan

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)

Freeze-dried food

Cordless power tools

Disposable nappies

Rotary blood pump

Fibre optics

Satellite dish

Bar codes

Ear thermometer

Fire-resistant fabrics

Smoke detector

Thermal gloves and boots

GPS system

the pursuit of knowledge and understanding, and the inventions and scientific discovery that follows is NEVER a waste.

Why does everyone want to go back to kill hitler?

surely you would be better starting with Mao Ze-Dong who killed between 49-78,000,000 people and then move on to Jozef Stalin who killed 23,000,000

hilter comes in a poor third with only 12,000,000.

Edited by artschool

Add the "cyber knife" to that list :yes:

Whatever way this goes I think Einstein can be forgiven, afterall was a neutrino even conceived during his lifetime? I suspect not.

So Einstein's law states that "nothing" can travel faster than the speed of light, what I'd really like to know is - is a neutrino actually anything? Given that they estimate a neurtino has an energy of 140eV and an eV represents ~1.602 x 10^-19 Joules of energy then surely for practical purposes it represents nothing?

So Einstein's law states that "nothing" can travel faster than the speed of light, what I'd really like to know is - is a neutrino actually anything? Given that they estimate a neurtino has an energy of 140eV and an eV represents ~1.602 x 10^-19 Joules of energy then surely for practical purposes it represents nothing?

I can't remember where I saw it, but it said that something with mass cannot travel faster than the speed of light, as the energy required to propel it to beyond C would require more energy than is contained within the Universe. Seeing as a Neutrino is deemed massless then I can kind of see why this is possible. (I make it all sound so easy :rolleyes: )

I'd be pleased if it was confirmed though. Just chucks one almighty spanner in the works :rolleyes:

No, because time and speed of light are connected. The faster you travel the slower time travels, so it'll account for this.

nope,

basically the theory forbids c+v

The postulate is that c is a constant that cannot be exceeded.

One thing missing is that you cannot measure the one way speed of light, one always measures a reflection (two way).

I can't remember where I saw it, but it said that something with mass cannot travel faster than the speed of light, as the energy required to propel it to beyond C would require more energy than is contained within the Universe. Seeing as a Neutrino is deemed massless then I can kind of see why this is possible. (I make it all sound so easy :rolleyes: )

I'd be pleased if it was confirmed though. Just chucks one almighty spanner in the works :rolleyes:

Yeah that's a killer aint it?

trouble is relativity is a way to transform the appearance of something distant/high velocity into a local measurement.

The key word is appearance = what you see.

nope,

basically the theory forbids c+v

My understanding is that if you travel at 1/2 C then time will tick by half as slow. (several edits later - As in 1 second will (for the person travelling at 1/2 C ) be 2 seconds to them)

Edited by Billy.

Four friends were discussing Einsteins theory in the pub one of them said what is the fastest thing on the planet.

First one said… Thats easy its the power of thought. You have a thought and just like that its immediately in your head. Yep definitely thought.

Second one said…. No, its the Human reflex to blink and demonstrated by flicking out his hand at his friend who blinked immediately.. See look its blinking… look how quick Dave reacted by blinking definitely blinking.

Third one said.. No, its Electricity. You know when you flick the light switch…? the Light comes on after the Electricity so it must be electricity..mustnt it?

The Fourth one said… No you are all wrong its diarrhoea… What? They all said…. Yep definitely diarrhoea ... Let me explain. When I get home from the pup tonight at 12:30 after 10 pints and the chicken curry we get on the way home.. I lay in bed and my tummy starts to grumble and you know you just know you need the loo really fast…..well at that moment before you can think, blink or switch on the light youve **** yourself. Yep… definitely diarrhoea

Definately faster than the Neutrino... :yes:

Edited by Fisherman Mike