Tell me about .410

nabbers

I've been shooting a long time and have had an old Cogswell and Harrison .410 for 30 years and realised know NOTHING about it's capabilities or usefulness.

It's chambered for 3" I once tried it on some clays and marvelled at the lightness, but missed everything.

Talk me through .410s... tell me everything!

I've been shooting a long time and have had an old Cogswell and Harrison .410 for 30 years and realised know NOTHING about it's capabilities or usefulness.

It's chambered for 3" I once tried it on some clays and marvelled at the lightness, but missed everything.

Talk me through .410s... tell me everything!

most usefull at short range, the sort of range even a light load from a 20 would smash stuff up. At quarry they are often pushed too far although the shot travels with enough speed the pattern fails very quick. I have John Brindles book here (shotgun shooting techniques and technology) he rates them for very short range with a more open choke- being very fast yet most are very heavy choked to keep the pattern together longer, i fancy trying this as have very suitable ground. good when your starting a young dog as the bang has far less percusion with it but still sounds like a shotgun not a starter pistol or .22 rifle. Bettered by the 28 bore in the field but guns and ammo for the .410 are far more available. Many say they make a great solid slug gun, but aint ever needed to try and can't see why.

Seen a realy great clay shooter splat quite hard clays extreamly well with one shooting one handed, in the hands of most though totally useless. Seen a top Gameshot shooting well behind his gests shooting very selectively at wounders etc. Never missed though his skills were not that of a mere mortal either :rolleyes:

a great little gun. I have had loads of squirrels, rabbits and pigeons with mine. 25 yards and under most of the time and few just over and I wouldn’t class my self as a good shot just average. I got it as a starting gun for my son when he was 9 with the intention of selling it when he got bigger, but I will be keeping it for good. It’s very handy if you just want to walk round the field and not carry anything to heavy.

I have a small wood next door to me, if I’m working from home I see a quite a few squirrels jumping around, I’ll always have the .410 to hand and pop them off at 30 yard easy :yes:

2'' are pretty much useless for anything other than shooting out the bedroom window. I wouldn't push 15 yards.

Have shot pheasant around that distance with 2" carts - 9grms of 6 shot doesn't give you much lead but they do kill cleanly at close range. Perfect hedge walking combination that doesn't smash the bird up :good:

My favourite shotgun calibre. Ive had a few over the years from bolt actions, folders and O/U's and love them to bits. There very light and lovely to shoot. Ive got my heart set on a little S/S for small driven pheasant and partridge days or just mooching the hedgerows with. I once had a go with a 34" barrelled O/U .410 which was one of the nicest guns ive ever shot. Bit pricey though. I think the 2 1/2" shells pattern better than the 3".

Cheers

Ben

Well brought mine a Yildiz o/u about 6 weeks ago and slowly getting used to it for sporting and skeet

Actual power is probably the same as 12g but only about the 5th of shot and that in a thin tube so most seem to think its more stringy than say 20 or 12g

Most 410 experts tend to use tubes in their 12g so that always using the same gun for all 4 calibres 12g, 20g,28g &410 must make things easier but more fun to me taking tiny o/u to the range when every one else using 12g, makes for conversation starter

Well brought mine a Yildiz o/u about 6 weeks ago and slowly getting used to it for sporting and skeet

Actual power is probably the same as 12g but only about the 5th of shot and that in a thin tube so most seem to think its more stringy than say 20 or 12g

Most 410 experts tend to use tubes in their 12g so that always using the same gun for all 4 calibres 12g, 20g,28g &410 must make things easier but more fun to me taking tiny o/u to the range when every one else using 12g, makes for conversation starter

Really?That must be some severe loads you use for your 12 if it shoots 5 times the shot fella.I have one for the wee man and he loves it,and has been out twice with it and had 4 pheasants for 7 shots and 1 ducks for 2 shots which is outstanding.Once again the secret is to know its limits and stick to them.

Longer length means more shot means better patern

My favourite load was just half an ounce of 7 or 71/2s. I did ok with 3/4 ounce reloads on H4227 also but most my reloads were 1/2 ounce on all sorts of powders. It's a waste of time trying to make it muuch more than a 25yd gun IMO. If some one measures a gun by it's distance caperbilities then a 410 is not for you. If you like a challenge then go ahead :good:

U.

Understand but not counted

28 gram 12g no 9 about 500 pellets,2.5" 410 no9 about 96 pellets

Actual powder ratio about the same and 410 velocity slightly higher

Am I wrong

I would think you are wrong,but stand to be corrected.A 3inch load of 19g will have approx 160 size 6 pellets,and a 28g 12 load will have approx 260 size 6 pellets.Its not something i have personally counted and just read,but i cant see where a 19g load will only hold a fifth of the pellets that the 28g load will.