masons

bi9johnny

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are loads of Mason's in my family history. I have a photo from 1912 of my grandfather, a miner, wearing his apron. He rose to grandmaster as we have some paraphernalia from his time there. On my wifes side of the family she has a relative in the USA who is in the Shriners. They run childrens hospitals and seem to do an awful lot of good work. Here's an excerpt from wikipedia:

The Shrine's charitable arm is the Shriners Hospitals for Children, a network of twenty-two hospitals in the United States, Mexico and Canada. It was originally formed to treat young victims of polio, but as that disease was controlled, they broadened their scope. They now deal with orthopedic care, burn treatment, cleft lip and palate care and spinal cord injury rehabilitation. All treatment offered at Shriner's Hospitals for Children is offered without any financial obligation to patients and their families, and there is no requirement for religion, race, or relationship to a Shriner. Patients must be under the age of eighteen and treatable.[13]

In 2008, Shriners Hospitals had a total budget of $826 million and in 2007 they approved 39,454 new patient applications, attended to the needs of 125,125 patients.[13]

Treatment is free and they have some world class professionals. However charitable donations are down and they don't know how long they'll be able to keep the hospitals going. Like any organisation it appears to be an old mans club and the young just aren't joining up.

I think they need to be applauded for what they are doing. Secret society or society with secretsm they are doing a pretty good service for society.

If I believed in the supreme being I may join, as I don't I cannot. The Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine (Shriners) wear red fezzes at meetings , clearly they don't take themselves too seriously. So it maybe quite a bit of fun.

Edited by Laird Lugton

The square and compass, strange that has'nt been mentioned on here before.

The highest degree in the Buffs is the 4th as opposed to the 33 in the Masons.

Buffs or RAOB are a very similar organisation often refered to as the poor mans freemasons.

Again a very charitable organisation.

There was one buff lodge in Hereford that had a large number of members that were SAS, mad

as march hares but you wanted them on your side when a ruckus started, Ive stll got the

lodge tie, "St Martins lodge", nice pic of a Hereford bull in the centre.

I was told leaving was not an option as I would be bringing shame on my nominators. At the time I had a young family and couldn't afford the subs let alone the raffle tickets, being made to feel bad that I didn't have the money the older wealthier guys did etc. Once I told them I wasn't able to attend due to lack of funds ( rather than turn up and not be able to stand a round etc ) and I wasn't able to commit to every meeting the mood changed very rapidly. Strange the amount of times I saw lodge members outside my place of work, outside my wife's shop or in places I had never seen them before. I was told in no uncertain terms not to contact any of the lodge members.

Same thing happened to a mate in a different lodge.

I didn't join to gain any favours, my ex father in law was a grand master and the nicest man I have ever had the privilege of meeting.

Just my experience, they do a huge amount of very good work, but it helsp to have very deep pockets, its not a poor mans hobby

I was told leaving was not an option as I would be bringing shame on my nominators. At the time I had a young family and couldn't afford the subs let alone the raffle tickets, being made to feel bad that I didn't have the money the older wealthier guys did etc. Once I told them I wasn't able to attend due to lack of funds ( rather than turn up and not be able to stand a round etc ) and I wasn't able to commit to every meeting the mood changed very rapidly. Strange the amount of times I saw lodge members outside my place of work, outside my wife's shop or in places I had never seen them before. I was told in no uncertain terms not to contact any of the lodge members.

Same thing happened to a mate in a different lodge.

I didn't join to gain any favours, my ex father in law was a grand master and the nicest man I have ever had the privilege of meeting.

Just my experience, they do a huge amount of very good work, but it helsp to have very deep pockets, its not a poor mans hobby

That doesn't sound like any mason I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. If anything, they should bend over backwards for you in your time of need as its one of the founding principles.

How long ago was this and how long where you in for? I only ask as I find it odd you refer to a grand master. This is generally a common mistake amongst mason wannabes and naysayers. No offence intended, I'm sure it's a slip of the tongue.

With regards to deep pockets... I think it's bit of a myth if I'm honest. You'd pay more for a season ticket to your local footy club!

Edited by huffhuff

No offence taken, i was eight ish years ago. My late fil was a grand master of one lodge here, a founder member of two lodges abroad. I wasn't a wannabe, I joined with good intention and was sad that taking time out wasn't an option. I didn't bail after a month or three, I gave it my nest shot ( I can still recite word for word my initiation ). I wore his gloves and his regalia to lodge as a mark of respect

I do pay for a season ticket ( OK, its AFC Dons, stop sniggering at the back ) at my local club so I know its cheaper. Im not decrying masons, just sayig it how I experienced it :good:

No offence taken, i was eight ish years ago. My late fil was a grand master of one lodge here, a founder member of two lodges abroad. I wasn't a wannabe, I joined with good intention and was sad that taking time out wasn't an option. I didn't bail after a month or three, I gave it my nest shot ( I can still recite word for word my initiation ). I wore his gloves and his regalia to lodge as a mark of respect

I do pay for a season ticket ( OK, its AFC Dons, stop sniggering at the back ) at my local club so I know its cheaper. Im not decrying masons, just sayig it how I experienced it :good:

what degree did you get to?

Digger, not sure what lodge you were a member of but that seems really wierd behaviour on their behalf if you are telling it all. The age old adage applies still in this day and age -"once a Mason always a Mason" - not everyone has work avaibale to them all the time and in hard times you should be able to have the support of your Brothers - as they should from you when you are in times of plenty. I am not a Mason but do know a lot about them and from how you are portraying the lodge you were a member of it sounds more like you may have inadvertantly fallen foul of them somehow. The lodge is open to your challenge though and you only need your sponsors or those who still support you to ask to be allowed representation and to be heard out. The lodge will not knowingly misjudge you if you have had a fair hearing and have been honest about all that has/may have happened in your situation. Being able to pay your dues is not a reason to lose membership - never has been and likely never will be. Give it a go - they can but listen.

Pushkin :yp:

Sounds like a fruity little club doesn't it. My old boss was a member as his dad and grandad were and although they do a lot of charity work which is commendable he said the main purpose is to help each other out in business. e.g clubbing together and buying stuff in mass bulk therefore getting things much cheaper than the average businessman could and maximising profits. I'm sure there will be people who disagree with this and just to clarify the clubbIng together comment was just one example of what they do. Plus he always carried a goat In one hand and a knife in the other just encase he had to do a sacrifice

In my experience the lodge rarely, if ever, shuns one of their own. In fact in all cases I know they have done everything possible to help and retain a member in a supportive way. It is not uncommon for a significant amount of the paying members subs to go towards paying the subs of other members who are either unable or unwilling to pay. For anyone in a London lodge who is struggling to keep up with subs there is the option to take country membership which significantly reduces the outlay but given the fact full membership for a year is typically around the 200 quid mark we are not talking significant amounts of wonga.

In some lodges it is true that the 80-20 rule applies in that 20%.of the people do 80% of the work but that applies in many walks of life. As with just about everything in this life you get back what you put in. Anyone joining for financial or other types of gain will become quickly disillusioned.

Also in this day and age where many people want it all right there and now they will be frustrated as it is a progressive undertaking and deliberately so.