Cheap pest control springer?

ferreter10

Always had a really old RWS always done me well, but recently it's really inconsistent. Had it chrono ed, highest of 11.5, lowest of 7.2. Want a cheap springer that's practical and doesn't need TLC. Looked at Gamo's... Are they anygood? Or can someone suggest anything of a similar price (120-160)

thanks

We run Gamos - Magnum 3000 and Whisper X. Both break barrels, mine has a Hawke scope and Mrs Gun has a Gamo scope (4 X 32s). Both in .22 and we use RWS pellets. Local squirrels, corvids, rats and the odd woodie don't like it up 'em. The Whisper is a doddle to cock (double spring set up) and is moderated. Sometimes you can get a second or even third shot in as it is dead quiet and the business end. Both bought brand spankers at CLA Game Fairs at just under £250 all in.

Always had a really old RWS always done me well, but recently it's really inconsistent. Had it chrono ed, highest of 11.5, lowest of 7.2. Want a cheap springer that's practical and doesn't need TLC. Looked at Gamo's... Are they anygood? Or can someone suggest anything of a similar price (120-160)

thanks

Despite what it may suggest or even say, not many FULL POWER Gamo make it past 10ft lb, and some are even rated lower!

Thanks guys, I'll have a look. I borrowed a friends hw100 (the PCP one I think) and I must admit it was superb. Are the springers just as good? I mean I am no marksman, but I was hitting 9/10 bottle caps at 50 yard!

So peoples advice is that gamo are less accurate and powerful? I suppose it's another case of " good thing no cheap, cheap thing no good" haha

thanks

I think the Weirauch HW99s is a good tough rifle , had mine a few weeks and find it accurate and good power from the box . Kills bunnies 30-40 yards no problem and is light , I carry it for 3 hours , with no problems . Weight is a big factor if you plan to walk round for hours . Stock is very tough I can vouch for that too . Pay £208 .

Thanks guys, I'll have a look. I borrowed a friends hw100 (the PCP one I think) and I must admit it was superb. Are the springers just as good? I mean I am no marksman, but I was hitting 9/10 bottle caps at 50 yard!

So peoples advice is that gamo are less accurate and powerful? I suppose it's another case of " good thing no cheap, cheap thing no good" haha

If you want to buy for a PCP then they are not cheap as you originally wanted a cheap springer?

There are some quality PCP rifles available but quality don't come cheap!It all depends on your budget for rifle,scope and charging bottle or Pump.

Any more questions just let us know.

ATB.

Lanberini, where was that you got your 99 from?

McAvoys in Standish , but you can get them down south for similar price . I looked at PCP option and you need a bit of cash to get up and running .For S200 air arms as an example £350 for the rifle , £70 for scope+mounts , Bottle and charging accessories = £200

Total= £670

Springers take a bit more to get used to firing ie. light grip and recoil effects but I think you have a reliable unit in the field . I practise on targets and you soon find the balance for shooting on target .

I was up and running for £272 including 1000 pellets . Had my first rabbit 6 hours after buying it though .

Springers are just as accurate as PCPs but harder to shoot. This makes them much more rewarding for some people. I use 5p sized targets with my springers up to 45 yards - at 12fp you don't need anything more accurate than that!

You do largely get what you pay for though, and decent springers do benefit from being tuned, which is £50 upwards if you fit a tuning kit yourself (although you can do a basic tune by polishing the internals and re-greasing for next to nothing).

I have enjoyed shooting a Gamo underleaver, I enjoy shooting with a CZ (in your price range) a Cometa 300 (which is less than £200) and too many BSAs to mention, but I would honestly say go for a Weihrauch. Loads of tuning kit available, made to last and easier to shoot accurately than other springers due to their smoothness. £200 ish for a 99 is a bargain IMHO. You could pick up a 77 or 80 and get years out of it.

On a different note; have you tried Chambers to see if you can rebuild your old RWS? Might be the cheapest option, and you always shoot best with the gun you know.

Edited by Wharf Rat

Wow that is a detailed reply! Much appreciated in taking time to help me make the right decision.

Your right about the PCP, bit too expensive for bot of rabbiting.

I think weihrauch is the way to go then, many people sing their praises. I'm sure I could stretch my budget to 200, so if anyone sees a goodun At a good price.... give me a bloody shout! ;).

As regard to the RWS, I will admit I dropped it and it's been unreliable ever since. To be honest, I fancy a change aswell so Deffo looking for a new/second hand gun

No I don't want PCP too expensive, I was just saying that particular weihrauch was exceptional. I take it the springers won't be anywhere near as good?

Put it this way I have a daystate airwolf and a hw80+97 and to be honest the springers are the way forward and the ones that are used all the time

I believe the theory is that with a break barrel there can be a degree of varience in the barrel location/seating (and therefore aim) eachtime you break & close the barrel to load a pellet.

Personally I think a break barrel would have to be pretty worn for this to occurr.

With a fixed barrel, pellet is loaded into a breach and barrel position in relation to sights never alters.

No I don't want PCP too expensive, I was just saying that particular weihrauch was exceptional. I take it the springers won't be anywhere near as good?

My advice would be to take a trip down to your local Gun Shop and look at the Weihrauch HW77 or HW80 as I previously advised.The HW77 is an underlever and the HW80 is a break-barrel,both these guns are of extreme quality!

thanks

RWS 45 by chance? Get if fixed if so, don't bother buying rubbish turish tat and the likes to replace it