Foxing Tutorial - Part 1.

Frenchieboy

A similar question was asked earlier. The answer is quite simple. I went and brought cartridges the other day but I did not want to buy a box of 25 heavy lead loaded cartridges for just a one off job and have the box with maybe 23 left sitting on the shelf for ever after. The box of 10 X 3" Mammoth Heavy Load in 3 inch steel was what was available at the time which I decided would be quite "adequate" for this one job at the range I am planning to use them at.

I have spent the day out shooting with Nik (aka Bangbangnik) and being as the weather was so wet and windy I took him to have a look around some of my permissions which he is welcome to shoot on with me any time he wants to. We had a particularly close look at the permission where the fox is and paid particular attention to where I was planning on shooting from and the spot that I am hoping to get the shot in at the fox. After very careful checking we both agreed that the range was just about 20 yards - A little closer than I originally estimated, so the cartridges that I have got should be more than sufficient for a humane kill and what are left over can always be used for any geese or ducks that I might get invited to shoot. We also paid attention to the angle that I would be shooting from and to and it was agreed that there is nothing at all to get any ricochets from as I would be shooting on a slightly downwards angle with nothing in the line of fire to deflect any of the shot.

Edit: Grasshopper, I'm sorry but I missed the question in your post. In answer to that question about if the next one was 40 yards and not suitable for shooting with the .243 - I would have to rething the entire situation as I personally ( and I know that many others will disagree) do not feel that a shotgun is acceptable for foxes at anything over 35 yards maximum (On a regular basis - Discounting of course the few "oportunistic shots" that do occasionally arise) no matter what type of cartridge you are using.

hi frenchie not wanting to get involved in your debate on what is right or wrong lead or steel i wanted some heavy shot for fox and found that my local shop had three different shells one in boxs of 5 and the other 2 in boxs 10s rather than 25s,,

oh yeah and nice video mate

colin

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing the Eley lead BB cartridge has been fired?

The 76mm (3") refers to the length of the cartridge AFTER firing.

A 70mm cartridge (2 3/4") is 58mm long unfired, and as you have found out a 76mm (3") cartridge is in fact only 63mm long before firing.

No mate, the cartridge has not been fired, it was given to me along with a couple more of them ready for me to use if I so chose. The box clearly states that they are 76mm long whereas they are just 63mm long. The main difference is that the steel 3 Inch Magnums are crimped and the Eley 3 inch Magnums are a rolled top cartridge! I measured both cartridges in exactly the same way and condition (Both unfired) - Unfortuntely I can't post a photo on this post or I would be able to show you exactly what I mean. I hope all that make sense!

The main difference is that the steel 3 Inch Magnums are crimped and the Eley 3 inch Magnums are a rolled top cartridge!

That's the difference.

A crimped cartridge will open up on firing, extending its length, in this case to just under 3"

A rolled top cartridge doesn't open up on firing.

Bear in mind that when a gun is chambered for 3" loads that is the overall FIRED length of the cartridge.

Well now you've got some heavy lead loads use the bloody things :/

FB good video but don't some people on here make you sick with their nick picking.

Poontang (or Mr Perfect) why don't you make a video, then we can all see how perfect you really are.????

leave the man alone youv'e made your point, now leave it alone PLEASE.

keep up the good work FB

Did we find out what choke the gun was?

The gun is proofed for steel shot and has interchangable chokes. For any steel shot that I might care to use I would use The half choke which was fitted at the time but for lead shot I have a full choke available to use if I want to!

Edit: Grasshopper, I'm sorry but I missed the question in your post. In answer to that question about if the next one was 40 yards and not suitable for shooting with the .243 - I would have to rething the entire situation as I personally ( and I know that many others will disagree) do not feel that a shotgun is acceptable for foxes at anything over 35 yards maximum (On a regular basis - Discounting of course the few "oportunistic shots" that do occasionally arise) no matter what type of cartridge you are using.

No worries,looking forward to the end result :good:

How about patterning the 2 different carts at 25yds to see what the difference will be?

FB good video but don't some people on here make you sick with their nick picking.

It's called debate and it's what FB asked for when he posted the video.

Personally i'm finding it interesting :yes:

I don't have any problems with debate/discussion or even telling me that I am wrong as long as it is done in a constructive manner. The only time that I have a problem is when things are said in an agressive or rude manner, which I guess applies to all of us.

Hi Frenchie i like the videos you have made as uou dont ramble on like some folk do, as you asked for advice etc, why dont you peg out a rabbit at 20 or 25yds snd spread the guts and sit with your shotgun and shoot the fox it wont matter about the wind onces he smells the blood or peg it near the den and use your rifle

Hi Frenchie i like the videos you have made as uou dont ramble on like some folk do, as you asked for advice etc, why dont you peg out a rabbit at 20 or 25yds snd spread the guts and sit with your shotgun and shoot the fox it wont matter about the wind onces he smells the blood or peg it near the den and use your rifle

Thai is an interesting suggestion which I have thought about but I have decided to try for him without the use of "bait" first - When the weather permits me to. If by chance that fails I will most likely bait for it and then use the clock method so that members can see that it does work and can save a great deal of wasted time just sitting out waiting for a fox to turn up.

Ok guys, enough is enough! I can handle a laugh and a joke but I did at the beginning of this thread ask for no personal comments to be posted so let's knock it off. I would not think of making personal comments about any of you so I would rather not see tham made about me. If you want to carry on making personal comments please do it via PM so that I can reply accordingly!

Well I haven't seen this thread for a few days now and I have to say I am disgusted. FB has taken the time to make this video to try and give beginners a bit of an insight in how to bag a fox and for the majority, myself included found it very enjoyable and informative. The childish playground like behaviour of a few is what spoils forums for many people. After all isnt the whole point to hear the opinions and constructive criticisms of others?

Its probably died of old age by now.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of whit!

If you knew anything at all about my workload or my personal/family circumstances you might think twice about posting such silly comments! Your sarcastic comments might be better posted on THL forum, I am told that they like silly comments that are designed to start arguments off.

You shouldnt start a thread on any topic that you cannot follow through or back up. If that fox was seen regular at a certain time in that field it doesnt take a genius to catch up with it :hmm:

Get it shot and post the result so this thread can be put to bed!!!!

Happy foxing :good:

To tie in with the most recent post by "FOXHUNTER1" I have just received a call on my mobile from a regular shooting partner of mine while I was out delivering some videos that I had been commissioned to do.

I do not feel that I should have to justify myself but because of the "circumstances" I will so that this can be "out to bed"!

I have been extremely busy over the last few days trying to complete a commissioned job and I was up at 4:00 yesterday morning getting ready to go out on a deer cull. Because of that I asked a good friend (who often acts as my shooting partner) to deal with the fox with his .222 (With of course the landowner's permission). He called a short while ago to tell me that he went up to the farm early this morning and did in fact shoot one fox on the run that I videod. He shot it at 07:45 from the place that I had planned on using and took the shot as soon as the fox entered the field, using the wall in the background as a safe backstop. He then continued with a walk around the permission and shot another one just 400 or so yards away. Both of these appear to be youngish vixens and not the black fox that I was hoping for. The tails were boned and given to the land owner who was delighted with my friends early mornings work!

Had I not have been so busy with other commitments over the last few days I almost certainly would have dealt with the situation myself, but just like everyone else I can only get so many hours out of a day and I do have a other things that I need to do which take priority over shooting foxes.

Anyway, the situation has hopefully been dealt with now so this can "be put to bed"!

Perhaps another thought for your next video would be to ask a friend to deal with said fox if you're unable to do it yourself :good: That way the farmer is happy (fox sorted), you're happy (cos the farmer is happy) and you're mate is happy (cos he got some shooting). And you would've also saved a few pennies by not having to purchase some suitable shotgun carts you'll hardly use.