Stiff dog

darren 67

What can i do to help my springer from getting stiff after a days work? He is ok when we get home but after lying in his bed he gets up limping for a while till it wears of. Next morning he is fine but would like to make him as comfortable as possible after he has done all he can to please me. Thought i better say he is only 5 and no signs of any problems any other times.

Cheers Darren

I used to give my old dog combined glucosomine and condroitin tablets, the normal human ones from Holland and Barrett, from when he was about 8 and it transformed his recovery from a day out. You have to give it to them every day though as part of their normal feeding routine, so it's not a cheap fix, but it really helped my old spaniel.

Thanks for all replies. All ok now think i might have let him over do it a bit yesterday. Going to try adding codliver oil to his food and see if that helps. And try and hold him up on shoot days not letting him do too much but its hard when he enjoys it so much.

my 6 year old springer suffers from the same he has had a hard life as a keepers dog and is starting to slow down however if you go to the kennels in tweeds you would still think he was a puppy. we have put him on Seraquin and has a heat lamp on every night that has helped alot just dont want to put him on carprieve untill he really needs it.

www.lintbells.com Yumove tablets I give them to our population of ageing terriers to keep them fit :good:

Had a look but cant find active ingredients ??? got the old boy on Glucosamie & don't want to over do it !!! wish I could give him my Meds - given me a new lease of life :yes::good:

• 2 months later...

Tam glucosamine is one of the main ingredients to Yumove tablets my terriers get it mostly through a Barf diet dogs can absorb 90+ percent of the glucosamine present in the collagen(no Tam no the stuff you get put into yir lips)connective tissue and cartilage jist like a BigMac.so glucosamine tablets and if it is stiff when you come home (the DOG)one 75mg aspirin for pain relief and as an anti inflamatory. :good:

I use magnets on my Lab because she had a surgery on knee ligaments when she was 6 months old and would be the same limping after a days work. I've used magnets for the last 2 years Brod Pod on her collar and a magnetic bed, she has never limped since. Maybe give them a try, I will always use them from now on.

Is it OK to give dogs the regular cod liver oil tablets that we'd take? There's not special ones for them is there?

I've been noticing the pointer starting to have a slight limp after a days run just thinking it might help his joints etc...

Yep, my eight yr old Springer Raggy is on one tablet a day and she is like a different dog!