Labrador for beating

Daveo26

Does anyone use labs for beating or any other purpose other than as a peg dog?

I used mine for finding and flushing pheasant on a shoot the other week and got some funny looks off the guns with fat lazy peg dogs.......

Iv seen videos on you tube of Labs pointing although why you would use a lab over a pointer is anyones guess :hmm:

Cheers Dave

Dogs have to be under control in the beating line, your invites to help will be greatly reduced if you have an uncontrolled headbanger wrecking the drives & running through the flushing points. You see all sorts in the line & on the peg don't knock them if they can do a job.

My dogs 2 years old and this is obviously his first season.

Any tips on using him for beating? Is there anything I should be aware/careful of?

He is fairly well trained, He works to the whistle and hand signals.

Im new to gun dogs but have owned many lurchers and terriers :oops:

Two entirely different breeds....

Spaniels are for hunting, head bangers the lot of them, but excellent to have and watch

Labs for picking up

My lab sits down and goes to sleep while wildfowling, taken the springer OMG it wont sit still :yes::lol:

I take your point, But I honestly don't think I could cope with a Spaniel that's why I have a Lab :lol:

A nice steady, methodical worker Vs a maniac headbanger :hmm::D

there is nothing wrong with a lab for beating, I take a GWP and really get some funny looks but she is rather good at it so its more interested looks and what is she.

Simply with beating the key is keeping the dog under control particularly at the end of the drive when they really need to be at heel to help stop flushing large numbers in one go. Other than that listen to the keeper he will let you know where to really let them work and where not to. Its harnessing their instinct to hunt but ideally without catching which can become an issue when they get a bit clued up with what they are doing. With a young dog you'll find the mornings are harder than the afternoons as then the edge will be worn off and they always seem to listen better. Its hard work and gets the nerves on edge till you are sure your dog won't screw up a drive but things to make sure of are that the dog is steady on other wildlife, we have lots of hares and fallow and muntjac and you do need to be able to stop your dog from chasing which can be hard as it can be at very close quarters. First season out mine stood her ground with a serious sized fallow buck a proper heart stopping moment but fortunately it jumped her and she stayed as she was told to. Its great fun and the dogs love it its just a case of making sure they don't enjoy it too much

Two entirely different breeds....

Spaniels are for hunting, head bangers the lot of them, but excellent to have and watch

Labs for picking up

My lab sits down and goes to sleep while wildfowling, taken the springer OMG it wont sit still :yes::lol:

My Lab shouts - hey boss, the geese are a comming :good: look at the sky - listen for wing flap - look at the dog - listen for tail wagging & so on. My old boy has flushed birds that spangles have missed & will go in the same cover :yes::good:

yep my 20mth black lab beats, she loves it, she has a good nose on her. Her retrieving is not great, she tends to much about with it. i have HWV that i pick up with, she loves retreiving, loves hunting too but I prefer to use her on open ground and away from spanners, so i can control the flushing.

give her a chance :yes:

jan

• 2 weeks later...

Tigger, someone ought to explain that to Bentley. :lol:

I accept that in general spaniels go where Labs won't/can't

Iv watched him lay on his side and push himself into a brambles for a retrieve.

He is only a small Lab and i honestly think if he cant get somewhere is his size that stops him not his lack of commitment.

I will attempt to video him and show you, its mental

I would use a lab to beat with 9/10, easy to keep an eye on pretty steady and don't need much training apparently(as they are born half trained you know) When it comes near the end of a drive and the cover is deadly thick, which dog does it when the keeper yells let the dogs in!! Spaniel!! You wil never beat a spanner for doing the cover but it wouldn't stop me using a lab for general walk up beating!!