what gun is this (miroku)

viking

yes its a miroku, i believe it could be a 3800 trap gun, but as you say, the engraving is different than any 3800 iv seen, and the 3800s iv looked at, the grade 1s dont have them tear drop things on the stock, by the way, what is the correct name for them.

cheers, lee

What's all this s, sw, hsw, business

I'm having to cast my mind back nearly forty years to when I first started shooting - with a Miroku 800S.

To the best of my recollection the 800 base model had minimal engraving and had a black action. The S and SW were the next grade up with a polished action, more engraving and better wood fitted, the W signified a wider rib. The HSW was the top of the range with a polished action even more engraving and upgraded wood.

With the advent of the 3800 range the different models were identified as Grade 1 to 5 or even 6 which has been carried over to the subsequent MK38 range.

thanks for the replys chaps, iv now bought the gun, i was told its a 3800 trap gun, bored out to 1/4 and 1/2. or was it 1/2 and 3/4. serial No makes it a 1980 model,and its a belter, is there any way of finding out what model it actually is, and or grade. and what do you guys think its worth, fixed choke, 30inch barrels,really really clean in and out.

cheers, lee

thanks for the replys chaps, iv now bought the gun, i was told its a 3800 trap gun, bored out to 1/4 and 1/2. or was it 1/2 and 3/4. serial No makes it a 1980 model,and its a belter, is there any way of finding out what model it actually is, and or grade. and what do you guys think its worth, fixed choke, 30inch barrels,really really clean in and out.

cheers, lee

Back in those days for clays it was generally either a skeet gun with 26" or 28" barrels or a trap gun with 30" barrels and for sporting a combination of the two was used, the multichoke sporter was a rare beast then. The 3800 had a fairly flat stock for a trap gun, in comparison to today's versions, and many were sporterised by shooters who wanted longer barrels and a bit more choke than skeet and skeet and had them opened out to perhaps 1/4 and 1/2.

There is a view that the older Mirokus are better than the more modern ones, which have been built with economy of production in mind. My 800S was certainly built in an old fashioned way with demibloc system barrels rather than the monobloc system currently used. Originally they had Vee spring operation for the top lever and also main springs, these were changed circa 1976 to coil springs all round, which mine has. They also had disc set strikers instead of firing pins as the new guns do and I'm told the engraving was done by hand too.

I don't think yours is a 3800 grade 1, 3 or 5. I don't know whether there's such a thing as a grade 2 or 4. It might be an 800 HSW as they were still in production in the early 80's.

I wouldn't put much store on what the retailer has told you as for model, unless he's time served and can remember these guns well as the engraving is the key unless there's some identifying mark on the action somewhere.

A lot of parts were particular to the early models and aren't available today and you'll probably find that later bits don't fit them, so if you have a failure you'll need a proper gunsmith to deal with it.

You could enquire to the current importer below with the serial number and a photo of the gun's action to assist. However I don't know whether they were importing them at the time, I've got it at the back of my mind that it was Parker Hale who've long gone.

Browning UK (BWM Arms Ltd)

Unit 2, Moorbrook Park

Didcot

OXON

OX11 7HP

I think Gordon is pretty well spot on with the retail pricing.

Edited by PhilR

could it be a 3800 sw, just seen something that looked like it that was a 3800 sw, whats the differance between the 800 and the 3800, im not really bothered what model it is really as its a great looking gun and in mint condition, and seems to fit me very well.also just seen a 800 HSW for sale for £1700 :o :o

Edited by viking

I`m no Miroku expert but it might be worth checking the bores with a micrometer. Some of the very early ones where inexplicably bored at .740 which means that, with a bit of wear they can be rendered out of proof.

Hopefully someone who knows more about Mirokus than me can tell you whether this is likely with the gun in question.

Nice looking gun.

Edited by mudpatten