Shortage of Rabbits

Actionpigeons

Has any one noticed a shortage of Rabbits this season in Derbyshire?

I had a lot of Rabbits on my pemission last season but im very short of them now.

Yes I took about a 100 last year , but there was still plenty about at the end of the season. Seen a lot feeding in the summer as I was walking or driving past my

Pemission but they seen to have vanished. :/

Edited by Actionpigeons

Good to get mature answers to a topic debates, I have a 7 year old grand son that would write something like that :hmm:

Yes I agree. No place for this on here...

Maybe they are on holiday or work in the area could have dried up and now a ghost field.

Edited by yankeedoodlepigeon

Rvhd symptoms are not universal and may include loss of appetite, lack of co-ordination, respiratory difficulties and discharge of blood from orifices (including nose-bleeds). However, animals generally show few external symptoms of the disease and it is much more likely that an apparently healthy-looking animal will just 'drop dead'. The incubation period is between 24 and 72 hours with death from several hours to one or two days later. RVHD is a very difficult disease to diagnose in the wild. There is a marked difference between the apparently healthy-looking corpses of animals dying of RVHD and those dying of myxomatosis.

Edited by mad1

Rvhd :hmm: Google it it does not sound nice :no:

Well done mate I have just googled RVHD makes interesting reading., This could be why they seemed to of disappeared over night.. I heard that a virus from China was to blame but was unsure of the name of it and what it did. . It says only takes 24 to 72 hrs to kill them. Mixy bad enough with out this spreading everywhere.

very few on the one farm i shoot.but a quarter of a mile away on another farm there are plenty. :hmm:

Hardly any in west Fife. There are however loads of buzzards and magpies. Even the crows are making a comeback. It seems the buzzards are taking the young and managing their numbers that way - damn them :angry:

They do move with crops and also the weather biggest burrow on my main permission is heaving in the summer when dry weather and good grass. In the winter they all move to a hedgerow in the next field at the top of a slope.

Never actually seen them packing up and moving, but every summer they are in the main burrow and in the winter re-appear in the hedge burrows

Saying all of that there are certainly less this year. Anyone else finding the same near me ? (SW Leicestershire / Warwickshire borders)

In reply to the OP have you thought about the possibility of poachers, especially those using ferrets and nets as they can almost clear a small permission of rabbits in practically no time at all if they know what they are doing?

I have one smallish permission that I was always able to get half a dozen rabbits from each time I went with the 17HMR but on the last couple of visits (Including on the lamp) there has hardly been a single rabbit to be seen. On talking to one of the "locals" who exercise their dogs there they told me that they had seen a couple of chaps using ferrets who seemed to have quite a lot of rabbits. There has also been a couple of lampers seen there but they can be a devil of a job to catch and I for one do not fancy facing up to "lampers", especially when I don't know how many of them there are or if any of them are armed or not!

I should add that I know that anyone ferretting or lamping on this permission is poaching as have sole permission there but it is so out of the way you just can not watch it 24/7!

Hardly any in west Fife. There are however loads of buzzards and magpies. Even the crows are making a comeback. It seems the buzzards are taking the young and managing their numbers that way - damn them :angry:

thay are talking about letting people shoot some of the buzzards, not sure if its a good thing or not. I do enjhoy watching them

In reply to the OP have you thought about the possibility of poachers, especially those using ferrets and nets as they can almost clear a small permission of rabbits in practically no time at all if they know what they are doing?

I have one smallish permission that I was always able to get half a dozen rabbits from each time I went with the 17HMR but on the last couple of visits (Including on the lamp) there has hardly been a single rabbit to be seen. On talking to one of the "locals" who exercise their dogs there they told me that they had seen a couple of chaps using ferrets who seemed to have quite a lot of rabbits. There has also been a couple of lampers seen there but they can be a devil of a job to catch and I for one do not fancy facing up to "lampers", especially when I don't know how many of them there are or if any of them are armed or not!

I should add that I know that anyone ferretting or lamping on this permission is poaching as have sole permission there but it is so out of the way you just can not watch it 24/7!

Hi, you could be right about some poachers lamping it but in the wood itself it full of brambles. I ferret the would myself but with hawks waiting on in the trees as the brambles are to much for nets without clearing them, and nothing has been cleared.

Hi William. Are you asking if rabbits with RVHD and Myxy are edible for humans? If so I believe if a rabbit has RVHD they tend to die down the bury. If its myxy then yes a human can eat them....... but I wouldn't fancy it!

i only feed rabbits to my hawks, like a bit of lamb better...lol i dont think hawks can get RVHD

Edited by Actionpigeons