help with first .223

Not wanting to get too far afield here but I would not buy a new Remington, they have sort of sold out on their loyal customers. In the 70s and 80s they were probably the most accurate out of the box American rifle, and I own/have owned several of that era, and they were all shooters. Most .75 or better before any work(floating barrel,trigger adjustment, action bedding) With work some would shoot under .5 @100. Too bad--- greed ruins everything.

Maybe greed or just trying to stay afloat in a depressed economy,as said the barrels and actions are up there with the best but cost cutting has made the gun in most cases a pig. I understand they have to glue up the triggers due to lawsiuts against remington in the USA but I thought that was due to their old type triggers than had a design flaw. The triggers one thing, a replacement Timney for £90 sorts that but the stocks :no::no: and little niggles like feed problems :no::no:.But still, I have enjoyed the tinkering with mine and its taught me a lot about rifles. :good::good:

Remington seems to be getting a bit of a pasting here, just to put another view, I got a 700 SPS Stainless in .308 around 4 years ago, it has the X mark Pro trigger. I had the barrel cut and threaded to about 21", thats it, the rest is out of the box!

I also run two Tikkas.

The plastic 700 stock is not as good as the T3 Lite stock, and the trigger is not as good as the T3, but there isn't much in it, and the T3 plastic stock is FAR from great.

My Rem 700 shoots 1" with PRVI 150g SP, with the cheap nasty original plastic stock, and the trigger is acceptable. That does for me, my main dislike about the Rem is the Floor-plate, just don't like them, but the rifle does what I want/expected from it.

I am not in the market for buying rifles and throwing away stocks and triggers etc to get .5" better groups, if I wanted that I would spend more upfront on a better rifle.

Each to their own, some like tinkering, my Rem is fine, as are ALL my rifles, several people have shot an assortment of my rifles and agree, perhaps I have been lucky, but all my rifles work, and fundamentally all of them are out of the box!

Then again somebody buys a Hatsan and finds it works on the odd occasion!! :lol::lol::good:

Remington seems to be getting a bit of a pasting here, just to put another view, I got a 700 SPS Stainless in .308 around 4 years ago, it has the X mark Pro trigger. I had the barrel cut and threaded to about 21", thats it, the rest is out of the box!

I also run two Tikkas.

The plastic 700 stock is not as good as the T3 Lite stock, and the trigger is not as good as the T3, but there isn't much in it, and the T3 plastic stock is FAR from great.

My Rem 700 shoots 1" with PRVI 150g SP, with the cheap nasty original plastic stock, and the trigger is acceptable. That does for me, my main dislike about the Rem is the Floor-plate, just don't like them, but the rifle does what I want/expected from it.

I am not in the market for buying rifles and throwing away stocks and triggers etc to get .5" better groups, if I wanted that I would spend more upfront on a better rifle.

Each to their own, some like tinkering, my Rem is fine, as are ALL my rifles, several people have shot an assortment of my rifles and agree, perhaps I have been lucky, but all my rifles work, and fundamentally all of them are out of the box!

Then again somebody buys a Hatsan and finds it works on the odd occasion!! :lol::lol::good:

There are going to be some bad ones and some good ones of course just a shame Remington lets itself down on some reasonably minor points. I originally put my 700 into a Hogue stock as I floated the barrel on the original and it made no differance to what was lousy accuracy. Truth was, yes it was more consistantly accurate but I hated the extra wieght of the fully alley bedded stock and the wide forend. I liked the feel of the original slim ended sps stock, thus bedding it and now back on the rifle. Unfortunatly you will mainly here Tika for gun choice on this forum but it could easily be Tika or Remington with a little refining from the manufacturer.

after abit of reading am i right in thinking with 50g v-match if i zero an inch high at 100 then i will be bang on at 50, bang on at 200 and an inch low at 250, and 3 inches low at 300? help please?

I use a standard Tikka in 223 for my Nightvision rifle..also have one for day time but is customised..but my NV rifle i use 50gn Vmax one inch high does give close to what you say in my rifle, as i have a max kill range of 300 easily but as Mr Logic says you have to get out in the field and test the loads..also what velocity there going at which you will also need to know...along with plenty of practice...on paper/steel Tgts.

Just my pennies worth

I shoot Remington 700 SPS Stainless .223, changed the stock for H S Precision stock and never looked back, Swarovski 8x56 on top.

Bug holes @ 100yards with 40gr-55gr bullet's, it even done the same with the plastic stock!

Maybe i got a good one :good: cannot slate it at all :D

ATB

Wullie.

Edited by tick

hello, will be getting my first rifle in a few months, been told i can get a .223, .222 or .22-250 for foxing, my questions are

what sort of range can i shoot a fox at if i am accurate at that range, i,e at what range will it no longer have the power to kill

what sory of bullet drop is there with these rifles? is one better than the other?

what difference does bullet weight make

what would be a good round for fox?

and is there anyone in cornwall who will mentour me if i pay for there time?

and is there any serious cons with any caliber?

i was also looking at getting a tikka t3 as the reviews are good, but now i am also hearing goood stuff about the remington 700? is one better than the other? is there anyone who has both that i could have a play with?

many thanks

Tom

The bullet will carry the energy to kill way beyond the range any of us can call the shot

Drop although an issue is not the main one - thats reading the wind

heavier bullets generally have higher BC but most common and perhaps the best are 55grn varmint expaning type

Yes any .22 centrefire is, the .223 rem is enough gun no need for bigger in reality it just a bigger bang up to 300

All calibres have cons as its always a compromise .223 is a very good choice for foxes

Remmingtons have been getting worse and worse and are now way over priced in the UK IMO, try a CZ 527 perfect in .223

Tomm, I think you are making an excellent choice in guns and do take the advice and get a decent scope AND mounts. I have fought bad scopes and mounts and it is just wasted money and time. Zeiss is excellent glass!

lets be honest you can make most guns shoot but the same cannot be said of scopes. S+bender are my personal favourite but like the man says Ziess are also good, look also at Meopta, leupold, nightforce, swavoski :good:

lets be honest you can make most guns shoot but the same cannot be said of scopes. S+bender are my personal favourite but like the man says Ziess are also good, look also at Meopta, leupold, nightforce, swavoski :good:

Nikon are also worth a look.

You forgot Sabre, Leapers, JSR, AGS, Nikko S, Hawke, Gamo, Tasco, SMK, etc, etc, I had something along these lines on my first air rifle.... http://www.smi7.com/product.php?id_product=812. :lol::lol:

:hmm: :o ;):good::good::good:

Edited by Dekers

I used to have a T3 in 6.5x55 and it was a lovely rifle. Trigger was good, stock was good (although it was the laminate version) - it was a very accurate and well made rifle.

A mate of mine has a .222 T3 lite and I won a shooting comp at the gun club with it a few months back. I fired two shots into one hole then realised I was about 5-10mm out (maybe because it was set up by my mate and he's a different build to me). I made a small adjustment to my point of aim and put another three through a seperate hole that was nearly touching the first. I'd say take out human error and that rifle will shoot to almost exactly the same place every time.

Calibre wise .223 would be my choice too. It's easy to get ammo for and plenty powerful enough if you know how to shoot it. Check out Sirslotsalot on Youtube - he can shoot his right out to silly ranges (600ish yards or more). It's all down to skill at that range because if you can hit the target in the right place it will die! The .22-250 comes into it's own of you have to take long shots at ranges you're not sure of but for every day foxing the .223 is plenty.

Last of all, don't overlook the Browning A-Bolt. It does feel like it's made to a budget but mine is a lovely rifle for the money. Certainly good value that's for sure. :good:

I have a t3 in 223 flavour with a 1 in 8 twist heavy barrel. I have a doctor optics scope and regular shoot up to 250 yards without any issue. The gun is a far better shot than me hence my range I am happy at Is 250. My mate is a far better shot than me and happily pushes well beyond 350 in daylight and 300 on the lamp.

Like most guns they are better at the job than we are at doing it, so as long as you know your limits then all the guns you mention will be fine. However 223 for foxing for me is the tool to have

Hi Tomm, I currently use a browning A bolt synthetic in .223 and have to say of all the rifles ive had its been by far the best value. it has a 20" barrel and therefore nice and light for lamping alone on foot and short enough when shooting from a vehicle. I use factory hornady 40 grain V max in it and zero 1" high at 100 yards. This places it bang on at 200 and around 2.5" low at 250. Ive never felt undergunned compared to a 22-250 and quite frankly why any one would want to shoot past this range in the dark is beyond me. To gain the full advantage from a 22-250 you need a longish barrel. Add the fact that its one hell of a boom for so little practicle gain im now firmly sat in the 223 camp. Only other round id suggest is the .243 but only if you want a dual purpose rifle.

Hi Tomm, I currently use a browning A bolt synthetic in .223 and have to say of all the rifles ive had its been by far the best value. it has a 20" barrel and therefore nice and light for lamping alone on foot and short enough when shooting from a vehicle. I use factory hornady 40 grain V max in it and zero 1" high at 100 yards. This places it bang on at 200 and around 2.5" low at 250. Ive never felt undergunned compared to a 22-250 and quite frankly why any one would want to shoot past this range in the dark is beyond me. To gain the full advantage from a 22-250 you need a longish barrel. Add the fact that its one hell of a boom for so little practicle gain im now firmly sat in the 223 camp. Only other round id suggest is the .243 but only if you want a dual purpose rifle.

I'll second all of that. Dropped from a .250 to .223 cos it was just too much gun and now run a 700 that's accurate but heavy, and an A bolt that shot .75" on 40gr vmax from being zero'd. Best value rifle I've had