Famous people you like / respect?

Thunderbird

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce Parry - Always polite and respectful to the folk he visits and they all end up loving him to bit.

Clarrissa - What a star that lady is, an all round good egg with thousands of anecdotes.

Cowell - This is solely because he pays his tax in the UK unlike a lot of the other big hitters. You have to respect that, very patriotic.

Dyson - Flying the flag for UK engineering (shame he no longer flys it for UK maufacturing)

Hugh Fearnley Whitteringtool - You have to take your hat off to him for the fish fight even if you think he's a plum.

Mark Radcliffe - I love his witty observations and hilarious anecdotes, a true radio stalwart.

Jerry Oiler - Local skipper who's made a living from a tiny charter boat for years and knows the channel like the back of his hand. Always willing to help and always got the time to talk.

Top of the pile for me is Dean Wilson. He is the first Scot/Brit to win an AMA MX Championship. Arguably the the toughest championship in the world. I have met Dean a number of times, been trained by him twice and I have to say he is the most down to earth guy. Time for everyone, no airs or graces, top guy!

Stephen Fry

Jim Telfer

And the Inimitable Richard Britton. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the NW200 the year before he died. Again, such a nice guy just happy to be racing. It still brings a tear to my eye.

William Hague MP, best politician this country has seen for years.

Jeremy Clarkson, genuinely gives not a single **** as to what people think. Also a true spokesman for the non-PC movement.

I also have a lot of respect for Frankie Boyle, yes he is horrendously offensive (which I find amusing) but he sticks to his guns and will not be dampened by the mass media.

Met Chris Eubank in a pub in Brighton with a couple of mates, chatted and left, as we were walking back, stopped in his Range Rover and gave us a lift back to our hotel, top bloke, if mad as a hatter !

I could never stand him as I thought he was being serious with all the guff and pomp but in hindsight he was quite obviously sending himself up. A top bloke :good:

I've followed Mick McCarthy's career with great interest as he is a local lad and has qualities I like. I met him once when I worked at Currys and he came across as a perfect gentleman. Wouldn't like to cross him on the football field though. I also respect his mentor - Jack Charlton for much the same reasons.

William Haigh is a rare politician; bright and not full of himself. I'd like him to get another crack at it, but I fear that the media won't allow it. He'd run rings around them if he got into the top job.

The baseball cap was a bad idea too. Trouble is I reckon he listened to advisers too much. Next time he gets a crack at it he won't be so naive.

....and the 14 pints anecdote. Poor old Hague, it will all get wheeled out again next time round :lol:

They all have to listen to advisors too much, its too much about party image and less about individual beliefs / values etc. Can't imagine Winnie ever would have towed the line.

Edited by ack-ack